FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   F seat poached by disabled passenger (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1543643-f-seat-poached-disabled-passenger.html)

BadgerBoi Jan 21, 2014 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by bdlman (Post 22198614)
I definitely think this is United's fault. They should not have let her stop and sit in an F seat. Why not stop in the first row of coach? I definitely think he deserves downgrade compensation or else the flight attendants should have made her move to the first row in coach I'm sure someone would have volunteered to switch with her its the same cabin.

I had a VERY similar situation on DEN-JFK. I booked a window seat and was super tired so i needed to sleep. A foreign lady basically refused to move and wanted to stick me in the middle seat. Yeah i cared, she was the one who didn't reserve a seat and waited, not me. She was just a bully trying to get something better than she had. I called the flight attendants who basically made her move and one of them and me both could speak to her in Spanish she just didn't want the middle seat. She was trying to play the i dont speak english card and had no physical problem or even an excuse except she didn't want the middle seat.

And that is how it should work.

The conversation goes:
"Excuse me, you're in my seat". If they don't move, there's no further discussion, no pleading, no excuses. The airline staff do their job from this point on and moves them to where they belong.

I've been to countries where I don't speak the language, and when I've made a mistake, well, I've caught on really quickly that I've stuffed up and have behaved appropriately. My errors have involved faux pas such as inadvertently joining the wrong end of a taxi queue, for example - honest mistake, but I've been met with howls of protest and really quickly understood that I need to go to the other end.

ih8airlines Jan 21, 2014 9:33 pm

no chance of giving up that seat. there's potentially a several thousand dollar difference in fare at stake - it's not like you're talking about an aisle seat in economy. not budging unless flight staff confirms i will be compensated.

mjcewl1284 Jan 21, 2014 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80 (Post 22196814)
I would consider giving up my seat to someone who asked me for it, prior to them just sitting down there, acting like they belong.

+1. Ask nicely first (Unless you happen to be a mom with more than one kid under 2 and are separated from them in another row or sitting across), whether I say yes or no, is my decision.

DCA1983 Jan 21, 2014 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284 (Post 22198764)
+1. Ask nicely first (Unless you happen to be a mom with more than one kid under 2 and are separated from them in another row or sitting across), whether I say yes or no, is my decision.

Totally. I gave up a CPU'd F seat a couple of months back to an ANCIENT woman that was boarded via wheelchair very late--they were struggling to get her down the aisle past the first couple of rows, and it was just a 1 hour flight, so I offered the FA my seat to figure it out and went to the back.

People are decent when they need to be, which is why it's more egregious when someone takes advantage of that basic inclination.

MSPeconomist Jan 21, 2014 10:14 pm

As others have suggested here, the problem with giving up the seat in this story is that it rewards the poacher for bad behavior and gives her an incentive to continue trying this stunt to get a FC seat for free. Offering to change seats with someone who has special needs is different, as is having the GA switch you to a different seat in the same cabin or the same type, but that isn't what happened here.

Unfortunately the OP capitulated and didn't even insist that the incident be documented. I predict that it will be hard to get any ex post compensation as the OP appears to have volunteered to give up the FC seat.

What if after agreeing to the swap to avoid a delay, the flight was delayed anyway so that OP lost the seat and still missed the connection? What if the fact of having a seat in the rear of the aircraft caused the OP to miss the connection? IMO the idea that being agreeable would enable OP to catch his/her flight was just speculation. I'm glad that part worked for the OP, but the result could have been otherwise, with a poached seat and a missed connection. The seat swap could even have caused a missed connection due to the additional time to deplane from the back versus FC.

Jaimito Cartero Jan 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 22198627)
This has nothing to do with UA whatsoever and UA owes OP nothing. OP voluntarily swapped seats with the poacher and that's the end of it.

Voluntarily? Coerced, perhaps. Let me know what flights you have a FC seat on, and I'll "voluntarily" take your seat.

wethereyet Jan 21, 2014 11:01 pm

On Asian carriers they look at each BP when you get on the plane and it would stand out quickly if someone pulled this. I know Asiana, SQ, and Silk are militant about sitting one intra-Asia A320 "F" seats.

Although this is not likely to happen often, it would seem that the FA should validate when people sit up front at the very least.

garykung Jan 22, 2014 2:11 am

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 22198643)
To those that say the OP would be blamed for causing the flight to be delayed if they wanted "Ms. Can We Swap" moved from a seat that she was obviously poaching, the blame afaic would lie with the poacher as plane and simple-she was the problem and she caused the problem

I don't think anyone have a doubt about the behavior of the poacher.

However, the poacher's bad action does not mean OP should respond in this way.

If I was the OP and I responded this way, I would have learned my lesson and move on.

Backing away from an issue is not necessarily the solution.

Originally Posted by chuckywang (Post 22198691)
Any update to this story?

So you want US Attorney's Office to press charge?

flybit Jan 22, 2014 2:51 am

Originally Posted by wethereyet (Post 22199070)
On Asian carriers they look at each BP when you get on the plane and it would stand out quickly if someone pulled this. I know Asiana, SQ, and Silk are militant about sitting one intra-Asia A320 "F" seats.

Although this is not likely to happen often, it would seem that the FA should validate when people sit up front at the very least.

tons of seat poachers on TK , its a game!

alex_b Jan 22, 2014 4:42 am

Originally Posted by flybit (Post 22199687)
tons of seat poachers on TK , its a game!

They even have special stickers for the empty CC seats.

jon0 Jan 22, 2014 11:11 am

Originally Posted by chuckywang (Post 22198691)
Any update to this story?

It's been two days since the original incident. No word yet from UA.

Meanwhile, I've posted my story on FlyerTalk and has discovered, from the replies, that I am a horrible person for having given up something I didn't really care for in the first place to someone who claimed they needed it and presumed they could get it from me. Apparently I have done a huge disservice to the FT community by encouraging this sort of seat poaching behavior. Also, I have apparently wronged myself by being willing to give up something on an airplane, with no expectation of receiving anything in return, and also without obtaining the proper documentation from the airline of what I have given up.

(sarcasm mode off)

I'll post any updates as I get them.

LaserSailor Jan 22, 2014 11:18 am

Originally Posted by jon0 (Post 22201823)

Meanwhile, I've posted my story on FlyerTalk and has discovered, from the replies, that I am a horrible person for having given up something I didn't really care for in the first place to someone who claimed they needed it and presumed they could get it from me. Apparently I have done a huge disservice to the FT community by encouraging this sort of seat poaching behavior. Also, I have apparently wronged myself by being willing to give up something on an airplane, with no expectation of receiving anything in return, and also without obtaining the proper documentation from the airline of what I have given up.

(sarcasm mode off)

'I would suggest you withhold any further info, make some popcorn, and enjoy the debate as to whether your horrible enabling behavior is worthy of a emotional comfort dog, with pre-Boarding before GS.

Your apology is not accepted since SHARES doesn't support that function

(Seriously, you did the right thing IMHO)

ZZYZXROAD Jan 22, 2014 11:50 am

Originally Posted by jon0 (Post 22201823)

(sarcasm mode off)

If you sleep well at night then you did the right thing. Always a good measuring stick for life's tough decisions.

raehl311 Jan 22, 2014 12:21 pm

I probably would have insisted the poacher be moved... there are unfortunately too many people out there who have figured out how to trade on the sympathies/fear of conflict many people have and since I don't have much of either I consider it a bit of a duty to thwart that behavior.

I'm also perfectly willing to give up an F seat if I see someone coming on who clearly needs it for whatever reason.

As for OP, while I certainly wish fewer people would play along with the manipulators, I don't think anyone should feel like they need to go out of their way to do so.

emcampbe Jan 22, 2014 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by alex_b (Post 22199908)
They even have special stickers for the empty CC seats.

I just flew TK comfort IST-YYZ-IST. Both directions, the middle seat next to me was empty (I was on the aisle of the middle section). Most certainly no stickers - in fact, seats were provisioned with pillows, blankets, headphones, etc. just like all of the occupied seats. No attempted seat poaching, either.