FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   F seat poached by disabled passenger (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1543643-f-seat-poached-disabled-passenger.html)

CKizer Jan 20, 2014 8:13 pm

If that were my seat, the poacher would have been moved by the cabin crew. Their battle, not mine.

UAkls Jan 20, 2014 8:15 pm

In this situation I would have left it to the FA after the initial exchange. I would have walked away from the seat. Any request for me to give up my seat would have to come from the FA. It is not my job to deal with passengers...I pay to be one, not manage them.

njcommodore Jan 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 22191008)
but UA should give you $ in goodwill compensation.

huh?! For what??

halls120 Jan 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22190955)
That's probably the seat she told them she had. I'm sure she knew exactly what she was doing and is adept at taking advantage of people's good nature.

I witnessed a similar incident a few years ago. Fortunately, it was a UA mainline flight, and the purser wasn't as intimidated. She told the poacher he could go back to his assigned seat or leave the airplane altogether. He went back to his seat.

aacharya Jan 20, 2014 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by CKizer (Post 22191593)
If that were my seat, the poacher would have been moved by the cabin crew. Their battle, not mine.

I don't believe you'd risk your connection over principle.

I'd like to say I would, but I'd have done exactly what the OP did, but notify the FA when she came around for drinks what happened, and that I'd expect she writes it up.

CKizer Jan 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 22191632)
I don't believe you'd risk your connection over principle...

Like moving a poacher (which should not take that long), keeping the flight on schedule is not my job either. :p

Lori_Q Jan 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 22190985)
Secondly-I know I'm gonna get flamed but the pax on your seat moves to her assigned seat-end of story! (and my gut is telling me, this pax knew exactly what she was doing (conveniently saying "can we swap" in front of witnesses when ultimately busted)

No flaming from Lori_Q. She knew what she was doing. I wouldn't have given up my seat so easily. If the involuntary downgrade had to happen for the reasons you stated (tight connection, etc.) I would have insisted on talking to the gate agent, gotten his or her name, and insisted that this be taken care of. Nicely, with a smile, but insistent.

auggie doggie Jan 20, 2014 8:37 pm

I've never encountered a seat poacher. But I could never imagine giving up my seat (in any class) for someone who had their OWN assigned seat somewhere else. If they don't like their seat, they need to take it up with UA...not me.

Sorry for the OP....but you messed up.

jib71 Jan 20, 2014 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by CKizer (Post 22191664)
Like moving a poacher (which should not take that long), keeping the flight on schedule is not my job either. :p

Indeed. No flight has ever missed its slot due to complications during boarding. The folks who are tasked with keeping to schedule always succeed.

Flagonwithdragon Jan 20, 2014 8:48 pm

How about asking the FAs to make sure the poacher paid for the seat and made it clear to the lady that she would be charged for it? Perhaps that is a language she would understand?

BOShappyflyer Jan 20, 2014 8:54 pm

I am a mostly sympathetic person, but I did think you are too kind-hearted and was taken for a ride. This doesn't strike me as the first time the person has done it, and I wouldn't want to enable her to continue to take advantage of others given her likely success rate.

I suppose for a short ride, I wouldn't mind as much (under an hour or two), but if I've paid for first class, I'm expecting the seat that I paid for. If she really needs a better seat, she would either pay for it, arrange it with flight attendants, or as a last resort, wait and ask if anyone would be kind enough to swap instead of just sitting on your seat. I'm unsympathetic to those who just takes what is others without the courtesy of asking.

That said, I'd either firmly say no, or ask the flight attendants to sort it out. I once witness a teenager sitting in her seat, refusing to move. Her family members are asking her to move, but she was definitely throwing a tantrum. Finally, after much delay and the announcement for everyone to be seated (after all the commotion), she finally stomped off to her assigned seat. That was as bad as I've seen it in terms of people not sitting in their assigned seats, and even then it was all in the same cabin class (let alone a different one). Ironically, I couldn't figure it out (and still couldn't), but the seat that teenager was poaching was a middle seat. Go figure.

BadgerBoi Jan 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22191499)
^

Sometimes acting with grace is more important than sitting in F on an RJ.

Karma is bull.

But if it existed then it would come back to bite that poaching old bag right in the ***.

mjcewl1284 Jan 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 22191778)
Karma is bull.

But if it existed then it would come back to bite that poaching old bag right in the ***.

+1, couldn't agree more with your statement.

CKizer Jan 20, 2014 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 22191778)
Karma is bull.

Exactly. It's the excuse suckers use to make themselves feel better about being suckers.

BadgerBoi Jan 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284 (Post 22191788)
+1, couldn't agree more with your statement.

a bit harsh perhaps, but that old thief knew exactly what she was doing.