Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mechanical Delay - Missed connection. Forced overnight. United won't pay. Next move?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mechanical Delay - Missed connection. Forced overnight. United won't pay. Next move?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver, US Air

What would your next step be?
Edit: Date should be Dec 14.
On Dec 16 United had a mechanical delay on #293 LAX-IAH. I was forced to overnight at Houston, and United refused to pay overnight costs. Upon arrival, cust service said it wasn't their fault.
The next morning, in speaking to customer service about payment, they advised me that they could see on their computer that it was due to a baggage problem. Therefore, I should lay claim in an email on United's website, which I did.
In that email, I advised them of the baggage problem, reminded them of the terms of their contract of carriage, and requested reimbursement of a paltry $82.00. Secondly, I requested a $100 credit for a future ticket because of the trouble I had to get reimbursed.
My question is: I was given the $100 credit, but was not reimbursed for my expenses.
Its a paltry amount. But they cheated about 20 travelers that night out of money United should be paying.

Edit on 1/28/2014: The following is UA response from the complaint filed via DOT:
While we regret the inconvenience you experienced due to flight delay,
> we are often unable to provide compensation or any vouchers for flight
> delays less than 4 hours. It is never our intent to inconvenience our
> passengers, and I am very sorry your valid expectations were not met.

So, I ask you, what would your next step be?

Last edited by BertG; Jan 28, 2014 at 10:02 pm
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
File a formal complaint with the US Department of Transportation here:

http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/air-t...t-comment-form

UA has a clear pattern of denying customary compensation until DOT is involved, then they suddenly come around and ring you up to ask where you'd like the check sent. It worked for me.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by BertG
On Dec 16 United had a mechanical delay on #293 LAX-IAH. I was forced to overnight at Houston, and United refused to pay overnight costs. Upon arrival, cust service said it wasn't their fault.
What was their explanation???
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

#293 was LAX-EWR on 12/16.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Never had a forced overnight as I have been lucky enough to always find another route home. However, I would ask for at least a $300 certificate + all expenses (hotel and dinner). Last time I was delayed for slightly over 4 hours, United volunteered a $200 certificate.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Error on date

Originally Posted by LBJ
#293 was LAX-EWR on 12/16.
Thanks LBJ. The flight date was Sat, Dec 14th. This was the date used in email from/to United.

Last edited by BertG; Jan 22, 2014 at 12:56 pm
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Explanation from United at time of arrival.

Originally Posted by gengar
What was their explanation???
There were about 12 people lined up at customer service. As I'm silver with US Air, I used their preferred lane. The clerk simply said it wasn't their fault and here is a voucher (his words) for a hotel room. I was naive enough to believe it was at their expense.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
What to do?

Either one or all of the following:
1. Forget about it (what United is hoping for)
2. Continue pursuing it with United
3. Never fly United again
4. Complain to the DoT
5. Use social media to humiliate United.

Personally, I think it makes sense to go the humiliation route, because I'm of the view that they deliberately try to cheat people in these circumstances and that it should be substantially more expensive for them to take that route than to treat people properly.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BertG
There were about 12 people lined up at customer service. As I'm silver with US Air, I used their preferred lane. The clerk simply said it wasn't their fault and here is a voucher (his words) for a hotel room. I was naive enough to believe it was at their expense.
So what was the voucher for if it wasn't to pay for the hotel?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Probably a voucher for the 'distressed traveller' rate, not a free stay.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
What to do?

Either one or all of the following:
1. Forget about it (what United is hoping for)
2. Continue pursuing it with United
3. Never fly United again
4. Complain to the DoT
5. Use social media to humiliate United.

Personally, I think it makes sense to go the humiliation route, because I'm of the view that they deliberately try to cheat people in these circumstances and that it should be substantially more expensive for them to take that route than to treat people properly.
I'd say #2, #3, #4, and #5. ^

It's a numbers game. Now that they are one of 3 legacies left, they expect you to kick rocks and will tell you that straight up on the first go-round. Shame them up, DOT them up, then never set foot on a United plane again. Money is the only thing they understand.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Without more information, there is no way anybody here can provide you with accurate recommendations:

1. Was IAH your destination or did you misconnect to another station? If so, was that on the same ticket as your LAX-IAH or a separate ticket.

2. I am curious about the reference to "baggage" and "not our fault". Do you recall what the problem was that created the delay? Do you have any insight as to why -- whether you agree or disagree -- the UA said that?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Without more information, there is no way anybody here can provide you with accurate recommendations:

1. Was IAH your destination or did you misconnect to another station? If so, was that on the same ticket as your LAX-IAH or a separate ticket.

2. I am curious about the reference to "baggage" and "not our fault". Do you recall what the problem was that created the delay? Do you have any insight as to why -- whether you agree or disagree -- the UA said that?
Let me guess, some passengers decided that they didn't want to fly anymore just before boarding was completed, and they had to call back the ramp crew to dig and unload their check baggage. Believe it or not, it happened to me twice on UA in November and December, both caused 30 minutes to 1 hour delay. In both instances, no announcement was made except apology for the delay, but any FF would know exactly what was going on. The similarity of the two events made me think conspiracy, or that I was the unluckiest UA flyer
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I second (or fourth) the suggestion to file a DOT complaint. They are in violation of DOT rules, they were required to provide accommodations to you.

Complaints can be filed here: http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint

File, and you will get results. And it also helps all of us as it raises UAL's dishonest conduct with DOT, which may eventually force them to change their "texas cheat-m" ways...
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by andryas
Let me guess, some passengers decided that they didn't want to fly anymore just before boarding was completed, and they had to call back the ramp crew to dig and unload their check baggage. Believe it or not, it happened to me twice on UA in November and December, both caused 30 minutes to 1 hour delay. In both instances, no announcement was made except apology for the delay, but any FF would know exactly what was going on. The similarity of the two events made me think conspiracy, or that I was the unluckiest UA flyer
We should wait for OP to respond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.