FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mechanical Delay - Missed connection. Forced overnight. United won't pay. Next move?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:57 pm
BertG

Programs: Silver, US Air
Mechanical Delay - Missed connection. Forced overnight. United won't pay. Next move?

What would your next step be?
Edit: Date should be Dec 14.
On Dec 16 United had a mechanical delay on #293 LAX-IAH. I was forced to overnight at Houston, and United refused to pay overnight costs. Upon arrival, cust service said it wasn't their fault.
The next morning, in speaking to customer service about payment, they advised me that they could see on their computer that it was due to a baggage problem. Therefore, I should lay claim in an email on United's website, which I did.
In that email, I advised them of the baggage problem, reminded them of the terms of their contract of carriage, and requested reimbursement of a paltry $82.00. Secondly, I requested a $100 credit for a future ticket because of the trouble I had to get reimbursed.
My question is: I was given the $100 credit, but was not reimbursed for my expenses.
Its a paltry amount. But they cheated about 20 travelers that night out of money United should be paying.

Edit on 1/28/2014: The following is UA response from the complaint filed via DOT:
While we regret the inconvenience you experienced due to flight delay,
> we are often unable to provide compensation or any vouchers for flight
> delays less than 4 hours. It is never our intent to inconvenience our
> passengers, and I am very sorry your valid expectations were not met.

So, I ask you, what would your next step be?

Last edited by BertG; Jan 28, 2014 at 10:02 pm