Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

(I will only be a MP Silver by the time the flight)Will Gold Bag Benefit Still Apply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(I will only be a MP Silver by the time the flight)Will Gold Bag Benefit Still Apply?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Yesterday, I booked a paid flight at the end of February as a MP Gold. However, I will only be a MP Silver by the time the flights depart what baggage rules apply? Gold or Silver?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 19, 2014 at 8:04 am Reason: details were missing from the thread title
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Will Gold Bag Benefit Still Apply?

nope. As per the rules, you will get benefits of silver status as that will be your status when you fly. it's all dependent on status at time of flight.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The benefits that get applied are based on your status at the time of travel. Therefore, your bag limits will be the silver limit. You will be prioritized on the upgrade list based on your silver status, etc.

In cases where you're making a change and status would affect this, it will be the status at the time of the change. Assuming you've selected E+ seat assignments at booking, for example, they should stick, short of something like an aircraft swap. But trying to select an E+ seat (or changing to a different E+ seat) prior to checkin but after your status drops will result in a charge for it.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:43 am
Original Poster

So this will apply even though my reservation states no fee?

Also, I understand that a Premier member's companion gets the same free bag, but only if on the same reservation. The problem is UA made us split the PNR when we used some miles from my wife's account to upgrade. Will they waive this?

Finally, since we are upgraded to First, do baggage fees even apply?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1066 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The email also states that status at time of travel is what matters IIRC.

As a first class passenger you get the F baggage alllowance anyways.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1066 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The email also states that status at time of travel is what matters IIRC.

As a first class passenger you get the F baggage alllowance anyways.
Indeed the e-mail and the "baggage charge" on the reservations both indicate as such. I'm fascinated by folks who like to use "selective" reading, much as our politicians do.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:19 am
Original Poster

I beg to differ. I just received my itinerary and receipt for confirmation and there is no disclaimer that baggage fees apply to status at time of flight.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by milemonkey
I beg to differ. I just received my itinerary and receipt for confirmation and there is no disclaimer that baggage fees apply to status at time of flight.
Nothing like this underneath where you waived bag fees are noted? In your case, since you are in F, your bags fees are zero, whereas if you were not in F, they'd be crossed-out and then denote zero.

First and second baggage service charges per traveler as listed below:
1st bag2nd bag Weight
Tue., Oct. 7, 2014 (EWR - Liberty) to (KTM) $0 $0 70.0 lbs (32 kgs)

Baggage check-in must occur with United or United Express, and you must have valid MileagePlus Premier® 1K® membership at time of check-in to qualify for waiver of service charges for up to three checked bags (within specified size and weight limits).
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Maybe it's because I was upgraded?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
That's very surprising. Looking at a recent booking I made, I see this under the heading of Baggage allowance and charges for this itinerary.
Baggage check-in must occur with United or United Express, and you must have valid MileagePlus Premier(R) 1K(R) membership at time of check-in to qualify for waiver of service charges for up to three checked bags (within specified size and weight limits).
Maybe it's because I was upgraded?
What does your initial (pre-upgrade) receipt say?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 19, 2014 at 10:39 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's very surprising. Looking at a recent booking I made, I see this under the heading of Baggage allowance and charges for this itinerary.
I depends, based on my experience (mix of Y-uped Y/B, non-Y-uped Y/B, paid F/A for business, and "everything else" for pleasure) it seems to be
- If you're on a ticket that includes a baggage allowance as part of the fare (used to be full-fare Economy and First/BF -- but it looks like killed the full-fare Economy exception) it will show a $0 fee for the number of bags permitted unless you have status that trumps the fare allowance.

If you have status that trumps it will show the "actual" fee in strikethrough and then $0 with the notation that " [whatever] status must be valid, yadda, yadda"

When I jumped from silver to gold, it changed my already-upgraded/paid F reservations from just $0 / $0 to $0-strikethrough-$0 $0-strikethrough-$0, "Check up to 3 bags...gold status must be valid..." and my Y reservations from $25-strikethrough-$0 / $35 "Check 1 bag...silver status must be valid..." to $25-strikethrough-$0 / $35-strikethrough-$0 "Check up to 3 bags...status must be valid..."

Lincoln

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.