Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Over entitled FAs - provided limited service, ate snacks from F basket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

Yesterday on UA1608
FAs show up after boarding should have started. All with a Tim Hortons cup in their hands. There were no lines at immigration or security and they came in the night before, so no excuse. the 20 minutes prior the GA had tried several times on the radio to get an idea where they might be.
Then when we finally boarded, I was on first. They all had stuffed their luggage into the FC overhead bins. Starboard side was full above row 1-3.
They did do a pre departure during service and did finally hang the coats.
After take off they served one round of drinks and went by once with the snack basket.
After that the galley party started. All 4 in the front galley talking loudly, emptying the snack basket, eating most of it, but one FA even put 2 bags of chips in her bag.
No mores service for anyone.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
What did UA Customer Relations say when you wrote in about these service problems?

Or are you just posting this report to FlyerTalk because you've read that "onion letters" from Global Services members can cause sCO flight attendants to be immediately placed on termination warning and you don't want these folks to suffer career consequences? (See the union's comments at http://calafa.org/rumors )
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Haven't heard back yet
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
It's my feeling that, regardless of whether one is a GS or not, if you directly experience poor service you should make UA aware of it.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Haven't heard back yet
Follow up then, if you don't hear back within a few days! If it were me and I was as steamed as you are, I would get on the phone and write emails until I got a response.

Just a suggestion to perhaps express your complaint more succinctly though. Short and to the point emails are much more likely to get a response (and hopefully be quoted in internal UA communications)
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
After take off they served one round of drinks and went by once with the snack basket.
How often is the snack basket brought around on a 2.5 hour flight? Could one go-round be the minimum UA requires?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. OP's flight departed 4 minutes early and arrived at DEN 17 minutes early. His complaint about the FA's choice of coffee vendor is completely meaningless as UA not only got him to his destination as published, but significantly early.

2. If OP is suggesting that he was able to reserve a space in the OH for his bag and someone else took it, whether a FA or not, it would be good to know. Many would pay for that service, but can't find it anywhere. As it stands crew are expected to place their bags in the OH. If they started their day at YYC at roughly 1400, it's close to a certainty that they were headed somewhere else, perhaps on another aircraft at DEN. Crew connect times affect onward flights too.

3. Also confused as to whether OP was denied a second drink or whether he had asked for the bag of chips which an FA apparently scoffed from him.

4. So, he sent in a complaint on a Friday afternoon and it hasn't been answered by Saturday.

Indeed, if the flight were delayed, OP had reserved OH space or an FA refused to serve him when he hit the service button, a complaint would be warranted.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Yesterday on UA1608
FAs show up after boarding should have started. All with a Tim Hortons cup in their hands. There were no lines at immigration or security and they came in the night before, so no excuse. the 20 minutes prior the GA had tried several times on the radio to get an idea where they might be.
Then when we finally boarded, I was on first. They all had stuffed their luggage into the FC overhead bins. Starboard side was full above row 1-3.
They did do a pre departure during service and did finally hang the coats.
After that the galley party started. All 4 in the front galley talking loudly, emptying the snack basket, eating most of it, but one FA even put 2 bags of chips in her bag.
No mores service for anyone.
At least they serve sanck basket to customers for one round, check this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post18570062

There is a thread talking about that UA's new (OLD) system have hard time to locate pilots.
Don't know does that system effect to FAs as well.

Last edited by pigx5; Jan 18, 2014 at 10:49 am
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Over entitled FAs

Industrial action due to the looming layoffs?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Wrong subsidiary. If you read that union site mherdeg linked to above, the CAL part of the union seems quite happy about the furlough at the UAL side.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Amazing so many flights go out on time, without holding the customers hands.

United does a great job,

If I wanted and extra snack to stuff in my pocket I'd just ask, I have seen Pizza carried on and eaten in FC.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj

Wrong subsidiary. If you read that union site mherdeg linked to above, the CAL part of the union seems quite happy about the furlough at the UAL side.
Ah, but I got no indication in OP that it was sUA or sCO...
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by satman40
Amazing so many flights go out on time, without holding the customers hands.

United does a great job,

If I wanted and extra snack to stuff in my pocket I'd just ask, I have seen Pizza carried on and eaten in FC.
"United does a great job" at what, exactly?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
1608 would appear to be sCO as a 737. Seems typical of sCO front cabin experience with surly, under achieving crews.

Although could be because sCO overworks them, makes them sleep in break rooms or o/n on planes, feeds them institutional food they're told they should like, etc. Overall, sCO F is not a pleasant experience, but that sCO AFA link at least provides some plausible excuse if one is to believe any sCO FA is capable of providing actual service when they are on the company's clock.

personally, I'd prorate their salaries to about 30% on each flight as that seems to be about the amount of work/attention you get on an sCO domestic flight.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:00 am
Original Poster

You are implying a lot of things in this post that I never mentioned or implied.
What is your purpose of this?

Originally Posted by Often1
1. OP's flight departed 4 minutes early and arrived at DEN 17 minutes early. His complaint about the FA's choice of coffee vendor is completely meaningless as UA not only got him to his destination as published, but significantly early.

2. If OP is suggesting that he was able to reserve a space in the OH for his bag and someone else took it, whether a FA or not, it would be good to know. Many would pay for that service, but can't find it anywhere. As it stands crew are expected to place their bags in the OH. If they started their day at YYC at roughly 1400, it's close to a certainty that they were headed somewhere else, perhaps on another aircraft at DEN. Crew connect times affect onward flights too.

3. Also confused as to whether OP was denied a second drink or whether he had asked for the bag of chips which an FA apparently scoffed from him.

4. So, he sent in a complaint on a Friday afternoon and it hasn't been answered by Saturday.

Indeed, if the flight were delayed, OP had reserved OH space or an FA refused to serve him when he hit the service button, a complaint would be warranted.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 18, 2014 at 9:06 am Reason: unnecessary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.