Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase BR ticket from UA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Purchase BR ticket from UA?

I need to fly SFO-TPE and would like to purchase the ticket through UA if possible for PQDs. Is there a way to get the same or close fare that EVA.com is showing and purchase through UA? I tried using the trick to book award travel and then select purchase itinerary, but the fare was over $3000 when EVA has the same fare for $1100.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ryder1650
I need to fly SFO-TPE and would like to purchase the ticket through UA if possible for PQDs. Is there a way to get the same or close fare that EVA.com is showing and purchase through UA? I tried using the trick to book award travel and then select purchase itinerary, but the fare was over $3000 when EVA has the same fare for $1100.
did you try to call? Check ITA and give the agents the exact fare you want and they 'should' be able to do it (unless it's one of the weird fares which are only available directly from the airline; if Orbitz sells it then UA should be able to do this as well)
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by cfischer
did you try to call? Check ITA and give the agents the exact fare you want and they 'should' be able to do it (unless it's one of the weird fares which are only available directly from the airline; if Orbitz sells it then UA should be able to do this as well)
If Orbitz sells it with the 016 stock, does one get the PQD?

Does Orbitz have the 24-hour free cancellation policy for itinerary like this?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lax2010
If Orbitz sells it with the 016 stock, does one get the PQD?
Yes.

But if the over water segment is operated by BR the odds of an OTA plating it on anything other than BR are very, very small.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
You can call any UA agent or go to any airport CSR rep and they can ticket if they get the Flight #.

Sometimes though airlines dont make available the lowest fare buckets to anyone except buying thru their own websites though; but UA will be able to put you in any available/open fare class.

Be advised you'll be charged the $25 ticketing fee.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ryder1650
Because SHARES books you on full Y.

I understand what you are trying to achieve. But I don't think there is a way to do it.

Beside - I doubt that, assuming no PQD is involved, that BR ticket is FFP-eligible.

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Be advised you'll be charged the $25 ticketing fee.
So far every person responded to this thread is at least Platinum. So no fee
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
Beside - I doubt that, assuming no PQD is involved, that BR ticket is FFP-eligible.
What do you mean by it might not be FFP-eligible? Do you mean it wouldn't be eligible for earning miles? I thought that as long as you booked your BR ticket in certain fare classes, then you'd be able to earn at least 50% mileage credit on MP?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by kt123
I thought that as long as you booked your BR ticket in certain fare classes, then you'd be able to earn at least 50% mileage credit on MP?
You are correct (don't know what garykung was talking about). Mind you, the OP asked about PQDs -- dollars, not miles.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Yup, last year I earned 1K by flying only BR across the pond 10 times to TPE. I got the club card to avoid the 4 flight minimum on UA. This year I'm hoping to do the same but get the PQDs as well.

BR prices their fare classes that give 100% PQMs very fairly.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kt123
What do you mean by it might not be FFP-eligible? Do you mean it wouldn't be eligible for earning miles? I thought that as long as you booked your BR ticket in certain fare classes, then you'd be able to earn at least 50% mileage credit on MP?
You do and you are correct.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
United is supposed to finally start this route in March fwiw.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:08 am

ryder1650, have you tried calling into UA to price your BR fares? I'm actually looking to fly BR in a few months so I'm curious how it turns out for you.

Out of curiosity, I decided to call up today to see if they could match the fares I was seeing on EVA's website, but the fare they quoted me was about the same as the award reservation trick (the fare being quoted by them was over $4000, compared to EVA's $1100ish fare - even Orbitz shows similar fares to EVA). I told the agent that I had fare codes that I could read off to him but he said that he could only give whatever fare the computer spits out. Perhaps I just got an inexperienced agent?

I was also curious to see if UA would be able to book me into Elite/Deluxe (Economy) class for a reasonable fare, but with even the plain Economy fares not pricing out correctly, I'm not even sure that's a realistic option?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:15 am

Never done BR, but I've done entire tickets on TK a few times by calling into the premier desk. Sometimes it takes a few calls, as there are some agents that just flat out say that they can't book a ticket without a UA segment.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
To avoid UA J price gouging (and inferior service) from EWR to GRU next month ($3K more than AA/DL), I might just take JJ to experience them before they leave Star. Checking w/my TA to see if she can ticket them w/016 stock. Will report back.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Update. I tried to book a BR itinerary with UA and it was a no-go. They could not pull a price for the fare I was seeing on ITA. Gave them all the booking code details but their computer would not return a fare. Only fare they could get was a K fare for 3600, which was double the B fare I was getting on ITA.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get the fare I see on ITA to price out properly on UA's computers, that would be very helpful!

Last edited by ryder1650; Feb 7, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.