Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So how long until UA eliminates guests in clubs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So how long until UA eliminates guests in clubs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:17 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I rarely use guest option, so if UA follow DL to have a membership that don't allow guest but $200 cheaper than the standard, I am in.
The problem is that the "discounted" DL membership is roughly the same price as the current one.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
I'm in favor of anything that will thin the herds at the United Clubs. I've visited several in the last year where there was literally no seating available and people were on the floor with their laptops open. Seriously, is this really a "club" or simply a slightly enhanced gate area.
True, but my observation (at least at EWR) is that 80-90% of those people appear to be on their own. Of the rest I imagine a significant proportion would both be eligible for access (either as members, *G or travelling in premium cabins internationally). I don't think that culling guest access would do much to fix overcrowding.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
The brilliant thing about DL's move is, they say it's in response to complaints about overcrowding, but it's really about generating more revenue.
Originally Posted by Bonehead
It would be great if UA followed suit. I have long been wondering why the club meet-up thread existed (as a sticky, no less), as it is (in my view) a clear abuse of the intent of the guest policy, games the system, and exacerbates crowding. If someone wants to bring total strangers into the UC as guests, feel free to pay an extra $250/year for the privilege.
lol.

It would be great if UA gives one less for the same $$$?

What would be great is if UA built more clubs.

DL's biggest problem is that its clubs are kid friendly. Make them kid unfriendly like the UCs are; problem solved.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
This is totally inaccurate based on my observations. I see very few day passes being used.

The crowding I see appears to result from (a) just too many members (mostly business travelers) at peak departure time for the size of the club, or (b) families who tend to take up an inordinate amount of space.

The change may do something to reduce the latter, it will do nothing to reduce the former.
I agree 100%.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Too many CC holders in UC...bringing all their friends in. That's what I saw last year.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:25 am

The clubs do seem crowded, but more so at peak weekday times. I see very few families during those times. I highly value being able to take my family into the club on the one or two trips per year with them.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
With the amenities so poor these days, don't really care about crowding unless I need to charge something. Thankfully more charging stations available in terminal here & abroad lately.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
The crowding I see appears to result from (a) just too many members (mostly business travelers) at peak departure time for the size of the club, or (b) families who tend to take up an inordinate amount of space.

The change may do something to reduce the latter, it will do nothing to reduce the former.
I see a lot of the latter in EWR and much of it comes down the the UC Staff. If a full membership W/o spouse allows two guests, and a member rolls in with a spouse and three kids the math isn't hard. It would be awful press to start turning away families of members....but then again it would be following the rules.

Once these families are in there, they treat it like Bushwood Country Club (for the most part) and if you are a business traveler it is no longer a quiet space to relax or work.

Not having enough people in my family to be greater then two guest I don't know how I would feel if my party of four was turned away.....but then again it isn't a place for kids and my gut tells me I wouldn't bother going in with my gaggle.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:54 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by fastfxr
Too many CC holders in UC...bringing all their friends in. That's what I saw last year.
Are you implying that Club card holders only have a total of 2 friends?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:00 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

UA does not give 1Ks free UC membership like DL gives their Diamonds.

UA does not have an exhaustive lounge access program that DL does with AMEX [only the Club card and two annual passes for Explorer cardholders] where DL gives free access to all AMEX cardholders with Personal or Business Platinum/Centurion/Reserve cards plus a discounted entry program for some AMEX card holders.

Skyclubs are a lot easier to gain access than the United Clubs.

The change I can see happening is eliminating 2 UC passes for Explorer card holders and instead offering discounted $25 access when purchasing with your Explorer card.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I rarely use guest option, so if UA follow DL to have a membership that don't allow guest but $200 cheaper than the standard, I am in.
Agree
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by JetAway
I'm in favor of anything that will thin the herds at the United Clubs. I've visited several in the last year where there was literally no seating available and people were on the floor with their laptops open. Seriously, is this really a "club" or simply a slightly enhanced gate area.
At Newark I wont even go into the United Club anymore - its pointless. Rather sit in the terminal and get into a wine bar and pay $10 for peace of mind than fight through crowds for a seat and then have to pay for premium beverages anyways
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

I hope they do this. Tired of crowded loud lounge "experience"
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee
At Newark I wont even go into the United Club anymore - its pointless. Rather sit in the terminal and get into a wine bar and pay $10 for peace of mind than fight through crowds for a seat and then have to pay for premium beverages anyways
Not when EWR scalps you for Wi-Fi.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastfxr
So you frequently see more than one person per CC one-time pass? I usually see pretty strict enforcement of pass rules. Whatever the case, those promotional passes should be deep-sixed,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.