FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   So how long until UA eliminates guests in clubs? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1540070-so-how-long-until-ua-eliminates-guests-clubs.html)

palmetto86 Jan 10, 2014 8:15 am

So how long until UA eliminates guests in clubs?

So Delta announced it's limiting guest access to its clubs. How long until UA follows suit?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...p-options.html

Kacee Jan 10, 2014 8:26 am

The brilliant thing about DL's move is, they say it's in response to complaints about overcrowding, but it's really about generating more revenue.

star_world Jan 10, 2014 8:27 am

This would be a fantastic change. Long overdue.

goodeats21 Jan 10, 2014 8:31 am

Would be an insignificant drop in the bucket compared to the number of credit card issued day passes floating about.

There would be no noticeable lessening of the crowds....

Bonehead Jan 10, 2014 8:32 am

It would be great if UA followed suit. I have long been wondering why the club meet-up thread existed (as a sticky, no less), as it is (in my view) a clear abuse of the intent of the guest policy, games the system, and exacerbates crowding. If someone wants to bring total strangers into the UC as guests, feel free to pay an extra $250/year for the privilege.

eng3 Jan 10, 2014 8:39 am

Another solution would be to expand the UCs in order to reduce over-crowding. That's like saying we should raise fare prices to lower the number of people that fly to avoid overcrowding at TSA checkpoints or boarding at the gate rather than open more lanes or do a better job. You always have a choice between improving a product or making cuts.

Kacee Jan 10, 2014 8:39 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 22125483)
Would be an insignificant drop in the bucket compared to the number of credit card issued day passes floating about.

There would be no noticeable lessening of the crowds....

This is totally inaccurate based on my observations. I see very few day passes being used.

The crowding I see appears to result from (a) just too many members (mostly business travelers) at peak departure time for the size of the club, or (b) families who tend to take up an inordinate amount of space.

The change may do something to reduce the latter, it will do nothing to reduce the former.

xliioper Jan 10, 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22125452)
The brilliant thing about DL's move is, they say it's in response to complaints about overcrowding, but it's really about generating more revenue.

Not clear at all this will actually bring in more revenue. Many DL people are saying they will not renew and/or drop their credit cards. Fortunately, I prepaid for several 3 year memberships (good until 2022). Sure wish I had bought a lifetime from NW before the merger.

LaserSailor Jan 10, 2014 8:40 am

bad thread title...DL is not eliminating guests but have tiered memberships for DMs, others and general club members.

In short, you can still bring your family in OR 2 guests at top level.

Club prices have gone up substantially to 595 USD, too.

If someone wants to bring total strangers into the UC as guests, feel free to pay an extra $250/year for the privilege.
Ive been bringing in guests for 25 USD and enjoying the UC premium booze for years on the cash....rats.....

NYC_747 Jan 10, 2014 8:55 am

Long overdue. Last week the line to get free coffee in the club in terminal C (between C2-C3) was longer than at the Starbucks outside.

akhan7 Jan 10, 2014 9:02 am

If anything, the price increase is what would be the bigger news (for me personally at least). Couldn't imagine $700 for a UC membership...

ORDnHKG Jan 10, 2014 9:03 am

I rarely use guest option, so if UA follow DL to have a membership that don't allow guest but $200 cheaper than the standard, I am in.

3Cforme Jan 10, 2014 9:05 am

Delta doesn't appear to be changing guest policy (one) for Skyteam Elite + access, either.

Class of service access (intercon Business Elite, select transcon Business Elite and transcon First) didn't provide guest access, anyway.

What DL is really cutting is family access for more than two guests. I'm not sure how much DL club traffic is spouse + dependents under 21 in excess of two, anyway.

Soon enough there will be a posting in the DL forum about How Delta hates families.

mbarreto Jan 10, 2014 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22125452)

I don't know about that. Some of DLs sky clubs are so overcrowded, it's a lot more peaceful to just stay in the terminal. I've seen line stretching out in the terminal in Atlanta several times (not during IRROPS), and the club only allowing a guest in after another left.

I've suggested that DL should drop the free membership for DMs, and increase the price of membership. Clubs are supposed to be a place to relax, work in peace, not have to fight a mob for a bag of pretzels.

I'd be ok with UA bumping up the prices for the UC, as long as the clubs also received an upgrade.

JetAway Jan 10, 2014 9:15 am

I'm in favor of anything that will thin the herds at the United Clubs. I've visited several in the last year where there was literally no seating available and people were on the floor with their laptops open. Seriously, is this really a "club" or simply a slightly enhanced gate area.