Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experiences/Tips Checking Snow Skis On UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Experiences/Tips Checking Snow Skis On UA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
I can confirm that skis fit on an E145. Looking at my history, I took skis on a flight to JAC in 2019 that involved legs on that type.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Agree with above. Just put the clothes in there and move on. It is “padding” to protect the items. I get the same feedback with golf bags but do it anyways.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: Independent
Overweight sporting equipment for Platinum?

This morning I was trying to check in a ski bag for a flight, and the check-in agent told me I needed to get it below. 50 lb. When I pointed out that I was Platinum, they said that the extra weight limit only applied to standard sized bags and that we would be charged an oversized fee if we didn't move some weight around. I couldn't find any documentation of this exception online - does anyone know if it's true?
The agent was pretty rude, they didn't tell us where to bring the ski bags after they tagged them, nor did they even check our ID.
gudugan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 20, 2021 at 9:44 am Reason: Moved to Ski equipment thread
Old Mar 20, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott
A narrow reading of the baggage policies on the website supports the agent’s position, but common sense supports yours. If you complain, ymmv what you’ll get back

A well-run business would train agents to accommodate valuable customers... UA’s costs are too high for them to get away with LCC treatment in the long run
Old Mar 20, 2021, 9:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The Sport's equipment rules repeatedly state a 50 lbs limit and multiple reports in other sport's thread report the same outcome, such as
Consolidated "Bicycle - Related Fees, Policies, etc. on United" Thread [Merged]
and
this thread (moved the OP post to the ski equipment thread)
Old Mar 20, 2021, 12:42 pm

I honestly think the terms imply that you get your Premier allowance:
Ski and boot bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kilograms) or that contain other items in addition to appropriate ski equipment will be subject to the applicable service charge for overweight checked bags.
​​​​​​Key words being "applicable service charge", which for Platinum and a bag under 70lbs is $0.

That said, part of me would rather be the subject of a misleading but consistently applied policy than the misinterpretation of a single agent (or at least it makes me less annoyed with them and more annoyed with United). Unfortunately it's not consistently applied, since I've checked in ski bags over 50lbs many times.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 12:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hkcj
I honestly think the terms imply that you get your Premier allowance:

​​​​​​Key words being "applicable service charge", which for Platinum and a bag under 70lbs is $0.
But the oversize nature of ski bags would then still be subject to oversize fees if normal bag rules applied, right?

Perhaps the intent is to avoid dealing with both overweight and oversized bags.

What is making the bags overweight?
Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 20, 2021 at 12:54 pm
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But the oversize nature of ski bags would then still be subject to oversize fees if normal bag rules applied, right?

Perhaps the intent is to avoid dealing with both overweight and oversized bags.

What is making the bags overweight?
Yeah, the intentions make sense to me. I just wish they were clearer, but I can't expect too much from airlines...

It was a double ski back so it had a lot of my stuff in it. Oh well - we made it work and avoided any trouble on the way home .
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Cost of Checking Skis + "Ski Boot Bag" - Thoroughly Confused

Based on united.com and several phone calls, best I can understand the charges associated with checking skis is the below. Are these statements true?

1) A pair of skis (in a hard shell case) + a "ski boot bag" can potentially count as a single checked bag. As a silver member, this would potentially mean the cost would be $0.
2) The combined weight of the skis plus the bag must not exceed 50 lbs otherwise additional fees kick-in.
3) The
"ski boot bag" is technically only supposed to have ski boots and other ski-related "items." If non ski-related "items" were found in my "ski boot bag" then presumably my pair of skis and "ski boot bag" would be charged as two separate checked bags.
4) The "ski boot bag" can look like any regular piece of checked luggage (e.g., not designed specifically for transporting ski boots), what matters is what is inside.
5) Even though the skis will exceed 62 linear inches, there is an exception and that fact by itself does not trigger oversized baggage pricing.

Additional questions:
1) As a silver member, can my combined weight be up to 70 lbs?
2) How rigorously do check-in agents patrol / search the "ski boot bag" for non ski-related equipment, such as a pair of running shoes?
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
Based on united.com and several phone calls, best I can understand the charges associated with checking skis is the below. Are these statements true?

1) A pair of skis (in a hard shell case) + a "ski boot bag" can potentially count as a single checked bag. As a silver member, this would potentially mean the cost would be $0.
2) The combined weight of the skis plus the bag must not exceed 50 lbs otherwise additional fees kick-in.
3) The
"ski boot bag" is technically only supposed to have ski boots and other ski-related "items." If non ski-related "items" were found in my "ski boot bag" then presumably my pair of skis and "ski boot bag" would be charged as two separate checked bags.
4) The "ski boot bag" can look like any regular piece of checked luggage (e.g., not designed specifically for transporting ski boots), what matters is what is inside.
5) Even though the skis will exceed 62 linear inches, there is an exception and that fact by itself does not trigger oversized baggage pricing.

Additional questions:
1) As a silver member, can my combined weight be up to 70 lbs?
2) How rigorously do check-in agents patrol / search the "ski boot bag" for non ski-related equipment, such as a pair of running shoes?
1- yes
2- this depends on the airport. I just flew out of JAC and they have a printed piece of paper saying the ski + boot bag must be 50lb and they were very strict about the weight. A sportube (2 ski version) with two pairs of skis, two pairs of poles, and one pair of boots is just about 50lb with no extra stuff. However other airports may not care at all and give you 70lb.
3- No one cares
4- I don’t know, my boot bag looks like a boot bag. If it looks like a carryon people might look at you weirdly and question 3.
5- yes

Additional questions same as above
Old Mar 23, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
^ One note to above. If you check bags during online checkin, don't select "oversize" for length - it will charge you. Just check it as a normal bag and you'll be fine at the airport.

(Personally I carry my boot bag on while headed to the resort . . .)
gudugan likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Also if you try to print bag tags at the kiosk the process is pretty confusing. It will print one and then you have to click through a bunch of other screens and get supervisor approval to print the second (boot bag) without getting charged. It’s easier to skip the kiosk and talk directly to an agent.

I used to carry on boot bag. But on longer trips I need boot bag + ski bag + carryon + backpack. So I check the boot bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.