Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread to follow reports of MP accounts that actually have been hacked / improperly accessed. If you have missing miles and beleive you have been hacked, contact [email protected]

In Suspended MP Accounts / Third Party Vendor "Security Breach?" - Dec 2014 there is discussion of a security breach of a 3rd party that UA seems to believe may lead to inappropriate access to UA accounts via the username method of logging into united.com. Let's follow the breach and log-in changes in the above thread.

A separate(?) "access denied" issue is covered in Consolidated " Is united.com or parts of it Down?" thread
Print Wikipost

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't your password the following:

password

It's supposedly a very common choice.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Those are Personal Identification Number Numbers, right? And I'm guessing you also use ATM machines?

Cellular data is no more secure than wi-fi.
How does one break into an secured hot spot?

Last edited by Bonehead; Jul 21, 2014 at 2:31 pm
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Bonehead
How does one break into an secured hot spit?
What is a hot "spit". I had one of those in MSY. It came out booth ends at the same time.

Did you mean - spot?

And the French Quarter is not a great place to "spit".

I count the #2 (gotta go) bus and trolly a great salvation to hearing Johnny Cash playing "Ring of Fire".

And that is what it was. Damn, New Orleans can make some strong gumbo.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
... even UA agents are asking for PINs for simple transactions.
Would you prefer the option where agents don't verify who is calling with your account info? Would you up UAs security grade if anyone could call in with your account # and book award flights, make changes, etc?

Now I certainly would agree with an argument that they should probably use an automated system, like some other companies do, to verify your PIN. That way, you don't have to speak it, where anyone within earshot and the agent themselves know what is. Or would get the argument that one should be able to disable their PIN for use on United.com. But personally, I agree with the idea that an agent in some way verifies a PIN before a transaction where they debit miles from my account. Or even verify basic information on the account.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Just make it a one digit number. That makes it easy on both ends. Why complicate this with a four digit password. Easier would be no password. My fingers hurt already (typing this), forget a password. Everyone is happy!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by JB123
She said that there has been a rash of this happening due to people using wifi in hotels.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
very correct --- public wifi is very public unless using VPN. HTTPS is a little help.
It is HTTPS that provides the security, wifi encryption provides little.

Secure wifi does not secure your information end-to-end, only over the air. If the data is not secure via https, then it can still be gathered once the data is back on the wire.

Even relaying through a VPN does not protect you. It will be decrypted at the other end of the VPN, and is then pubic.

All one does via secure wifi or VPN is move the "eavesdrop" point.

HTTPS is secure. Yes, the HeartBleed bug in openssl did exist, but that was very brief and I do not know of real world attacks via it.

Assuming UA has a valid https login, then the breaches could come through many sources:

. Human engineering (A caller claiming to be UA asking for your PIN)
. Infected computers
. Use of 3rd party computers (NEVER do this for confidential data)
. Internal security breaches.
. brute forces guessing pins.

All of these are vastly more likely than recording wifi data over the air and cracking the https security. UA's reply to JB was sad.
except a 4 number pin is F-.
1+
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Would you prefer the option where agents don't verify who is calling with your account info? Would you up UAs security grade if anyone could call in with your account # and book award flights, make changes, etc?
I'd prefer I could do more myself online and wouldn't have to call so often to get simple things accomplished.
There are many ways this can be made more secure ... ever called a bank or credit card company?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

regardless of what you use the PIN option is still there in your MP account and a bruteforce attack is always a risk.
I thought, at least in theory, a password use both cap and lower case, numeric value and special character, would be MUCH HARDER for the bruteforce attach than just the 4 digits combo.

Club Carlson just made me to change my existing password to the above format.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
I thought, at least in theory, a password use both cap and lower case, numeric value and special character, would be MUCH HARDER for the bruteforce attach than just the 4 digits combo......
You can have a strong password but the PIN is still a available access method. You can not disable PIN access on your MP account.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can have a strong password but the PIN is still a available access method. You can not disable PIN access on your MP account.
I did not know that. IIRC, BA made you choose password and once you opted that, there would be no more PIN access.

I think DL has done the same.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Assuming UA has a valid https login, then the breaches could come through many sources:

. Human engineering (A caller claiming to be UA asking for your PIN)
. Infected computers
. Use of 3rd party computers (NEVER do this for confidential data)
. Internal security breaches.
. brute forces guessing pins.

All of these are vastly more likely than recording wifi data over the air and cracking the https security. UA's reply to JB was sad.

1+
as to "brute force" hacking... isn't the account locked after 3 incorrect pin entries?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cfischer
There are many ways this can be made more secure ... ever called a bank or credit card company?
Yes, and there's virtually no security there that you can't get from digging someone's bill out of the trash can.

Originally Posted by kettle1
Just make it a one digit number. That makes it easy on both ends.
Binary!

Originally Posted by Bonehead
How does one break into an secured hot spit?
I don't believe this forum should be a lesson on breaking security. Suffice it to say that it can be done more readily than your phone company would like you to believe. Digital security is an illusion.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 20, 2014 at 1:45 pm Reason: Attacking the member is not permitted
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by JB123
I spoke to a very nice woman at United security. They were able to deactivate the gift cards before the person could use the miles. The person changed my e-mail address to be one letter different (on yahoo) and have have the gift cards e-mailed to that address. Yesterday when I changed the pin it was sent to the bad guy's e-mail address. ...
I do hope UA emails the original address upon a change, if not this is a HUGE issue because in practice email access can reauthorize almost any account.

People should realize that the email account they use in conjunction with "valuable" accounts needs to be treated as a high security account.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by bajrbajr
as to "brute force" hacking... isn't the account locked after 3 incorrect pin entries?
If ALL channels are correctly locked after 3 false attempts, I agree. But given that airline security in general sucks, I would not count on this.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
If ALL channels are correctly locked after 3 false attempts, I agree. But given that airline security in general sucks, I would not count on this.
I'm curious about something. I added someone as a traveller on my MP account so I could give them a reward ticket. I got an automated e-mail from United telling me my account had been changed. Didn't the OP get an e-mail when the hacker changed the info in his account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.