Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Question on GermanWings (4U) Earning PQM & PQS plus Premier Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on GermanWings (4U) Earning PQM & PQS plus Premier Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Kacee
IMO the best way to get to TXL from the west coast on *A is LX via ZHR. Just don't book the 1 hour connection.
My preference is LH via MUC, because of the very late departure of LH459.

I can help put my kids to bed and run to the airport, get on the plane, have a light snack and get a few hour nap before waking up "late morning" MUC time and working on the WiFi before landing. I find connecting in MUC to be at least as easy as ZRH.

Greg
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I I flew on Germanwings from LHR to TXL last month. I connected through LHR instead of MUC/FRA due to price. The ticket was United issued (016).

The Germanwings segment did not automatically post so I wrote in for missing milage credit (RDM/PWM/PQD) and provided copies of my boarding passes and the receipt from the UA site. I received the RDM (590 - no bonus), PQM (590) and PQD for that segment within 2 days.

Also, I was able to use the *A lounge at LHR to shower and eat breakfast so I didn't experience an issue with lounge access.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:22 am

Someone asked this earlier in the thread and no one answered, so I am ask again - if UA states that "Earn MileagePlus® miles on all qualifying Germanwings flights when booked through United or your travel agent" - how do they know it was through a travel agent?

This makes me wary that I am going to have to go though all the hassle of sending them the ticket and arguing I should get these miles.

And while I could book this ticket on UA, the cost would be $1000 or so while if I book it on Lufthansa, it would be about $300.

Ridiculous.

So, anyone know how UA is going to know if I have purchased this through a travel agent (who I assume will be able to get me the better price...)

Last edited by Roar; Feb 23, 2014 at 3:33 am Reason: clarity
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:26 am

How would UA know if I bought a ticket through a travel agent?

"Earn MileagePlus® miles on all qualifying Germanwings flights when booked through United or your travel agent"

If I book through UA, the cost is $1,000 for a particular flight I need.
If I book through Lufthansa, it's about $300.

I am wondering if I can get a TA to snag the LH flight. However, if I want miles for this flight, am I going to have a fight with UA?

How can they tell a TA bought a flight and to credit me?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
If you book through Lufthansa, you would not get PQDs for the ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Roar
"Earn MileagePlus® miles on all qualifying Germanwings flights when booked through United or your travel agent"

If I book through UA, the cost is $1,000 for a particular flight I need.
If I book through Lufthansa, it's about $300.

I am wondering if I can get a TA to snag the LH flight. However, if I want miles for this flight, am I going to have a fight with UA?

How can they tell a TA bought a flight and to credit me?
The issuing agent is recorded as part of the ticketing process.

Regardless of how you purchase it (via United.com, Lufthansa.com, over the phone, or via a travel agent) You will earn redeemable miles, premier qualifying miles (PQM), and premier qualifying segments (PQS) on most flights with LH. See the chart on United.com for how many and note that some fares on LH do not earn miles -- Ask your travel agent you tell you the fare basis code (a letter) and make sure it is on the earnings chart. If the ticket is issued on United ticket stock (a ticket number starting in 016) it will earn premier qualifying dollars (PQD) if it issued on another stock it will not. PQDs only affect your qualification for premier (elite) status and if you're not concerned about that you shouldn't worry about the ticket stock.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kenn0223
PQDs only affect your qualification for premier (elite) status
And only if you have a U.S. address, and only if you don't have the credit card waiver.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman:22401707
PQDs only affect your qualification for premier (elite) status
And only if you have a U.S. address, and only if you don't have the credit card waiver.
CC waiver only goes as high as Plat; 1Ks must earn that status
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
CC waiver only goes as high as Plat; 1Ks must earn that status
Which is a subset of what I said.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:31 pm

"Regardless of how you purchase it (via United.com, Lufthansa.com, over the phone, or via a travel agent) You will earn redeemable miles, premier qualifying miles (PQM), and premier qualifying segments (PQS) on most flights with LH."

Actually, you only get the miles if you get it though a TA or UA. Booking Germanwings on LH does not count.

I am aware of the booking code issue.

I don't care so much about the PQD - I just need the PQM....
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:33 pm

Every e-ticket receipt displays a IATA office number and a point of issue.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann
If you book through Lufthansa, you would not get PQDs for the ticket.
Yeah, I know...but I don't care about the PQDs...just the PQMs...and I can't get that either though LH. It's so annoying.

I think I am going to need a TA to go though LH's engine (or something) to get the prices I need, though.

I can't understand why it's so much cheaper on LH's website and so insane on UA's website. Same flights.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Roar
Actually, you only get the miles if you get it though a TA or UA. Booking Germanwings on LH does not count.
Are you sure? I've booked LH flights directly from LH.com and gotten miles.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 23, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:02 am

Are you sure? I've booked LH flights directly from LH.com and gotten miles.
For Lufthansa, yes. We are talking about Germanwings, which is now populating most LH results.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any one have any experiences with the United Gold priority check-in and priority boarding? I booked via the Germanwings website, as about a 500€ less then via LH or United, so wont get miles, however does priority check-in and priority boarding still apply? If it does, just flash my gold card? Will they know what it is supposed to get?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.