Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Question on GermanWings (4U) Earning PQM & PQS plus Premier Benefits

Old Sep 26, 13, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM

Doing some searches for flights to/from Europe, and some of the connections offered are with Germanwings - the new l/c arm of Lufthansa. If viewed in expert mode, it shows X availability, but won't show up on award searches, which makes sense considering 4U isnt in *A. I'm interested, though, in what happens re baggage allowances/status if the first leg is on 4U? MSC rule (according to LH) doesn't apply, for example, if travelling to/from the USA.
Old Sep 26, 13, 12:05 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I am a little concerned about this whole Germanwings stuff and how it will impact our *A benefits.

According to some sources and word of mouth, we won't get lounge access if we are connecting onto Germanwings...
Old Sep 26, 13, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
I am a little concerned about this whole Germanwings stuff and how it will impact our *A benefits.

According to some sources and word of mouth, we won't get lounge access if we are connecting onto Germanwings...
True statement.... lived it about 6 weeks ago. Even though it's an LH owned entity, no *A benefits with regards to lounge access.
Old Sep 26, 13, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
What about mileage accrual? UA is happy to code share with some carriers and some fare buckets that don't earn credit in MP.
Old Sep 26, 13, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
What about mileage accrual? UA is happy to code share with some carriers and some fare buckets that don't earn credit in MP.
Unless things change in the future, it is 0 on all flights operated by Germanwings who is taking over a large part of LH's intra Europe flying.

It is no different from booking a connection on Cathay Pacific on UA.com WRT to benefits and FFP reciprocity.
Old Sep 26, 13, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
Quote:

Unless things change in the future, it is 0 on all flights operated by Germanwings who is taking over a large part of LH's intra Europe flying.

It is no different from booking a connection on Cathay Pacific on UA.com WRT to benefits and FFP reciprocity.
I did HAM-CGN and received no mileage credit.

Per the current LH direction, Germanwings will be LH's intra European carrier and Cityline will "feed" the international flights. This is in speaking to someone at Cityline.
Old Sep 26, 13, 2:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
4U

Discussed at great length

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...iscussion.html

Not great news for *A flyers heading to German locations other than MUC or FRA
Old Oct 17, 13, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
UPDATE

Just got an email from MP: "Your next Lufthansa flight may be operated by Germanwings"

All revenue flights will earn base miles but no elite miles. Best Fares will earn 125% and Smart and Basic 100%.

Looks like Gold and above get priority boarding and check-in but no lounge access.

FMI see the Germanwings page on united.com
Old Oct 17, 13, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AviationFreak View Post
Just got an email from MP: "Your next Lufthansa flight may be operated by Germanwings"

All revenue flights will earn base miles but no elite miles. Best Fares will earn 125% and Smart and Basic 100%.

Looks like Gold and above get priority boarding and check-in but no lounge access.

reminds me why I am booking Germany on LX through ZRH ... good move LH
Old Oct 17, 13, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, LH SEN(RIP)
Originally Posted by AviationFreak View Post

When connecting to United/*A then lounge access at origin should be given due to same day *A BP.
Old Oct 17, 13, 8:47 pm

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by FelixB View Post
When connecting to United/*A then lounge access at origin should be given due to same day *A BP.
Nope. Per the Star Alliance Website:
Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
Old Oct 17, 13, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, LH SEN(RIP)
Originally Posted by IslandSkies View Post
Nope. Per the Star Alliance Website:
. So it's a LH policy I was thinking about:

Valid Star Alliance Gold Card and Lufthansa / Star Alliance boarding pass for same-day departing flight
Old Oct 17, 13, 11:56 pm

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by FelixB View Post
. So it's a LH policy I was thinking about:

Valid Star Alliance Gold Card and Lufthansa / Star Alliance boarding pass for same-day departing flight
Perhaps. Now the secondary question becomes this:
If it's a city only served by Germanwings and not Lufthansa, are they even going to have a Lufthansa Senator or Business lounge where that rule would apply?
Old Oct 18, 13, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by IslandSkies View Post
Perhaps. Now the secondary question becomes this:
If it's a city only served by Germanwings and not Lufthansa, are they even going to have a Lufthansa Senator or Business lounge where that rule would apply?
AFAIK, no. Say you are flying STR-TXL-EWR, you will only get lounge access in TXL. It has been reported in the LH forum that the lounge agents have subtly hinted that there will be considerably less Star Golds in the lounges once most flights are moved over to Germanwings.
Old Oct 18, 13, 8:40 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Great.. this is just like SQ and Silk Air. although, at least you would be able to earn miles on germanwings, but not PQM.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: