Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Life as a United FFer Should Count Towards an Academic Degree

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The degree should not be based on elite status (any fool can fly the miles), but rather on some sort of success ratio (x/y) where x is your ability to get on the flight you want, in the cabin you want, and y is the number of customer service experiences that are FT rant-worthy.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe MMers should get tenure.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k, BA silver, HH D
Originally Posted by djp98374
I think the degrees should be reversed. The 1K have it far easier with specially trained assistants....thus not much skill required.
Bad assumption. I take care of all my own travel. Too easy to mess up otherwise.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
True, but when the various facets of the airline experience are taken together, literally no other airline has more complexity from the customer standpoint than United.
Really? Which seat would you pick on a Delta 757? No, I won't tell you which of the eight versions you're on or how to figure it out. Delta also adds CC holders into priority lists more than UA does for benefits. AA isn't trivial and with the US integration things are likely to get confusing there, too.

The grass really isn't all that much greener anywhere.

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
Isn't there an actual seminar that frequent fliers can go to where they'll learn all the ins and outs? I wonder if those are still useful now that United's miles have been devalued.
Yes, there are such seminars. A couple different groups run them throughout the year. And I could argue that as the challenges in understanding the programs become greater so does the value of such seminars. Similarly, if FT could manage to focus on understanding the rules of the program rather than on hating the CEO it could remain similarly useful.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM, AA (EXP), SPG Platinum, Priority Club, Ambassador Platinum, Global Entry
Originally Posted by hydrogen
So does GS get an honorary doctorate?
I caught your great humor here^
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

There is FTU once or twice a year!!!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
There is FTU once or twice a year!!!
I googled (interesting that this is now a verb) and found this one. Is that the one you mean?

I wonder when the next one will be, I might be interested in going.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Yup, Frequent Traveler University. Simply sign up for email list & you'll find out next one when it's planned.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:05 pm

I'm imagining the course catalogue for he Masters in Mileage Plus (MMP) core curriculum. (I've spent just a wee bit too much of my life in school.)

Here are three for starters:

MMP100 Postmodernism, Rhetoric, and The Sense of Other in Premier Status. From Marx to Foucault, this survey course examines silver, gold, and platinum status as social functions, echoed in modern literature. Permission of the instructor required. Usually offered every autumn.

MMP101 Rhapsody, Red Carpets, and Ramekins: Symbolism in the Skies. Students will explore and write about the depth and dimensions from anthropological and sociological perspectives. MMP101B is a concurrent and mandatory three-hour seminar. Prerequisite: MMP100. Usually offered every spring.

For those pursuing an earned doctorate in MileagePlus Studies, I can't wait to hear a dissertation defense about Naturally Fresh balsamic vinaigrette.

Also, someone needs to have a seminar about how the guy at the beginning of the safety video speaks in Thai, but United has discontinued flying to Bangkok. There is so much symbolism to unpack and discuss.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It should read FlyerTalk United Frequent Fliers as I know plenty of clueless United frequent fliers from general members to Global Services when it comes to what benefits they get.

Yet there are plenty of FlyerTalk United Frequent Fliers who are clueless too
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Kacee
The degree should not be based on elite status (any fool can fly the miles), but rather on some sort of success ratio (x/y) where x is your ability to get on the flight you want, in the cabin you want, and y is the number of customer service experiences that are FT rant-worthy.
Or, for the independent study option, deciphering the vagaries of UA's IT may well be worthy of special honors. For example, I'd be in awe of someone who could create an algorithm which would be able to predict the combination of conditions under which a) you'd get the error stating that UA has no flights for the specified city-pair, or b) how many times the average FT'er has to log in to .bomb over some specified period, or c) the website goes belly-up due to apparent "fatigue".
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
What does that make FFers turned agents? Teachers? Masochists?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mats
I'm imagining the course catalogue for he Masters in Mileage Plus (MMP) core curriculum. (I've spent just a wee bit too much of my life in school.)

Here are three for starters:

MMP100 Postmodernism, Rhetoric, and The Sense of Other in Premier Status. From Marx to Foucault, this survey course examines silver, gold, and platinum status as social functions, echoed in modern literature. Permission of the instructor required. Usually offered every autumn.

MMP101 Rhapsody, Red Carpets, and Ramekins: Symbolism in the Skies. Students will explore and write about the depth and dimensions from anthropological and sociological perspectives. MMP101B is a concurrent and mandatory three-hour seminar. Prerequisite: MMP100. Usually offered every spring.

For those pursuing an earned doctorate in MileagePlus Studies, I can't wait to hear a dissertation defense about Naturally Fresh balsamic vinaigrette.

Also, someone needs to have a seminar about how the guy at the beginning of the safety video speaks in Thai, but United has discontinued flying to Bangkok. There is so much symbolism to unpack and discuss.
I love this curriculum.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by djp98374
I think the degrees should be reversed. The 1K have it far easier with specially trained assistants....thus not much skill required.
Uh.... I learned more from 1 minute on FT than 3 hours on the phone with my "specially trained assistants"!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mats
.... For those pursuing an earned doctorate in MileagePlus Studies, .....
What does the doctoral regalia (graduation grown) look like?
Do we get a choice of airline / alliance liveries (past and present)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.