Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA GS
PQD still "processing"

I claimed original routing credit a few days ago and the miles have already posted. However, the PQD number says "processing" and it has been stuck that way for a while. Is this normal?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: UA GS / MM
Yeah, it happened to me too. Waited for up to 14 days from the time of the flight. You may need to call MP if PQD still doesnt appear or if PQD is wrong. I don't understand why it takes so long to process PQD. It's elementary school math.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Mine has been stuck for a week now.

I had a change of date and routes.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1.4MM, Marriott Platinum
"Processing" PQD just SUBTRACTED after 2-week wait

Thanks for posting! I had a simple transcon RT Sept 18-21; the miles and segments posted right away, but the PQD showed as "processing" till this morning--when things went haywire.

The correct PQD for the first flight, $163, now show on the list of flights on my current account page (the second flight's PQD are still "processing"). But $163 was not ADDED to my running PQD balance. Instead, $163 was SUBTRACTED from my "beginning balance as of June 30" at the top of this page--leaving me with no PQD added for the flight.

Fortunately, on the webpage with my March 31-June 29 statement, my June 29 balance is correctly shown as $163 higher than the beginning balance on my current account page. So, prepped with screenshots of the conflicting pages, I called MP this morning.

The first rep couldn't understand what I was saying (it is complicated) and put me on hold with web support for 20 minutes. I hung up and called back, and second rep saw the prob right away--but I've now been on hold for 30+ minutes while she tries to fix. Will post results here.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ryder1650
..... However, the PQD number says "processing" and it has been stuck that way for a while. Is this normal?
UA states it can take up to 14 days to clear the "processing" indicator. My experience it can be days and it can be 14 days. So if stuck is something less than 14 days, then yes it is normal / not uncommon.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA states it can take up to 14 days to clear the "processing" indicator. My experience it can be days and it can be 14 days. So if stuck is something less than 14 days, then yes it is normal / not uncommon.

When I log in, I don't see my current PQD balance?

Is it not counted/displayed when my mailing address is outside of the US?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by A_Reed
When I log in, I don't see my current PQD balance?

Is it not counted/displayed when my mailing address is outside of the US?
That is crrect. If your address is outside of the USA PQD does not apply to you and it is not displayed.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That is crrect. If your address is outside of the USA PQD does not apply to you and it is not displayed.
will this still be true in 2015 or 2016?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
No one knows
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:27 pm
RNE

This late in 2014, it's unlikely the foreign waiver will change for 2015. Two thousand six-teen, however, is anyone's guess.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
This late in 2014, it's unlikely the foreign waiver will change for 2015. Two thousand six-teen, however, is anyone's guess.
I'm too sleepy to go through the last 600+ posts in this thread. (it's almost
bedtime here) What are the chances that some UA members "moved" outside
of the U.S. in order to get around the spending rule? (using the addresses of
friends, family, etc) Is this why the Toronto Star did an article about the
booming mail forwarding businesses in Windsor and Vancouver earlier this
year?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:49 pm
RNE

I'm too sleepy to go through the last 600+ posts in this thread. (it's almost
bedtime here) What are the chances that some UA members "moved" outside
of the U.S. in order to get around the spending rule? (using the addresses of
friends, family, etc) Is this why the Toronto Star did an article about the
booming mail forwarding businesses in Windsor and Vancouver earlier this
year?
Anecdotally, we know some people have made the move because posters have told us so. Undoubtedly some really do have foreign nexus, while others may be up to something. Also anecdotally we know that UA is scrutinizing some of these moves. I doubt a mail-forwarding service would pass undetected.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by RNE
Anecdotally, we know some people have made the move because posters have told us so. Undoubtedly some really do have foreign nexus, while others may be up to something. Also anecdotally we know that UA is scrutinizing some of these moves. I doubt a mail-forwarding service would pass undetected.
And the best part will be the popcorn whining thread that starts here when they get 1K status, only to get it yanked when they get audited and lose status.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
And the best part will be the popcorn whining thread that starts here when they get 1K status, only to get it yanked when they get audited and lose status.

I have residences in both the US and another country. I hold passports in both
countries and divide my time between the two places.

Is it beyond stupid if I change the mailing address on my UA account to my
U.S. address?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I have residences in both the US and another country. I hold passports in both
countries and divide my time between the two places.

Is it beyond stupid if I change the mailing address on my UA account to my
U.S. address?
I you don't care about the PQD rules then it's not a problem at all. If you do care about the PQD rules and would otherwise earn status based on miles but not dollars then it would be a foolish mve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.