Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to book LH F awards? when available? issues? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2024, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is How to book LH F awards? when available? issues?
Print Wikipost

How to book LH F awards? when available? issues? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:30 pm

Don't know anything about the fare bucket but 1 seat ORD-FRA 4 days out.
Same timing but MCO-FRA.

Fun fun.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by stanj
Need advice/reality check:

Should I just be happy w/ the YVR-FRA in old LH F, or grab SEA-FRA w/ the 1 hr connect and hope the earlier SFO-SEA flight opens up before departure? Factor in that there's always a chance of equip swap to old FC and that the earlier SFO-SEA flight is a CRJ, which means schlepping over to T-1 at SFO, which I find to be a major PITA.
1 hour in SEA is totally doable, and block time means flights typically get in early if all is on time. I would probably do it.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Did you ever see phantom space a day or two prior on .bomb?
Yes, it was happening a lot before Christmas. But I've been able to book a couple of test itineraries since then.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Booked NRT-MUC on the new 346, and FRA-IAD on the 748 this past weekend for next week. First time on the 748 and trying out the new product.
What day? I'm on FRA-IAD in F next week as well.

Originally Posted by stanj
Need advice/reality check:

I have a SFO-YVR-FRA booked in UA-BF and LH-F. Lufthansa FC tool shows old config. I doubt there's any chance of an equip swap to new FC out of YVR until they switch to the 744's at the end of the month.

Another possibility is SFO-SEA-FRA. LH tool shows new config, but no availability for saver award on the SFO-SEA leg, except in Y on a flight with 1 hr connect time, which I think is cutting it too close in SEA. Being in Y on the SFO-SEA flight is not really an issue, but I'd be very concerned about the short connect time.

Should I just be happy w/ the YVR-FRA in old LH F, or grab SEA-FRA w/ the 1 hr connect and hope the earlier SFO-SEA flight opens up before departure? Factor in that there's always a chance of equip swap to old FC and that the earlier SFO-SEA flight is a CRJ, which means schlepping over to T-1 at SFO, which I find to be a major PITA.
SEA-FRA, you can make the A-S connection in 15 minutes.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 13, 2014 at 8:45 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by noah
1 hour in SEA is totally doable, and block time means flights typically get in early if all is on time. I would probably do it.
Originally Posted by colpuck
SEA-FRA, you can make the A-S connection in 15 minutes.
Really appreciate the input. I didn't act fast enough and the SEA-FRA seats are gone.

Oh well...That'll teach me for being indecisive.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
However, NH doesn't search within 4 days of departure. Inside of four days UA.com is really your only option.
au contraire, you just have to flip the origin and destination.

For example, if you are trying to search for DFW-FRA for tomorrow, set your search for FRA-DFW with he outbound and return dates for tomorrow. The return segment will show the availability for the segment you are interested in.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Help - UA only sees 1 LH F Award at a time

I'm flying LH tomorrow and was able to verify via ANA and AC websites that LH has 2 F class award seats available for my flight. I was even able to "reserve" these two seats using United's website.

I have an existing F class award reservation with ms. navi-c all on the same ticket with the same LH flight booked in business (no F availability at time of booking). When I call united to bump us up, they tell me they only see 1 F award seat available so they can't do the upgrade.

A clever agent, went ahead and reserved one of the seats and saw that poof another F class award seat was still available - so there really are two F class award seats currently available. THis is not phantom inventory, the United computer system just sees them 1 at a time.

They still claim however that without starting a new ticket (and losing all my connecting flights) they can't upgrade us to LH F. Are there any tricks / tips I can give the agent so they can force the system to see both award seats? Can we call Lufthansa? It seems like this is a computer glitch and since I've paid for F class award I was really hoping to check out LH F on the 747-8!!

Any help is greatly appreciated. If more info is needed please let me know!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Oof, good luck. It may not be true that LH is really willing to release 2 seats for sure here — I have seen a situation where someone did something like this (sold one seat & ticketed it, sold a second seat & tried to ticket it) and amazingly ended up with a *waitlisted* LH award with a ticket but no confirmed reservation.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:34 am

Thanks mherdeg for the data point. I've heard of folks being able to get 2x F LH *award* seats but wasn't sure if it was possible with a single PNR (with two people) or if they booked as separate, one person per PNR.

Just trying to understand if it's a limitation of the system or if there is still hope that 2x LH F award seats will become available in UA's system.

(thanks mods for merging, I did try search!)

Last edited by navi-c; Jan 14, 2014 at 12:59 pm
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by navi-c
Thanks mherdeg for the data point. I've heard of folks being able to get 2x F LH seats but wasn't sure if it was possible with a single PNR (with two people) or if they booked as separate, one person per PNR.

Just trying to understand if it's a limitation of the system or if there is still hope that 2x seats will become available in UA's system.

(thanks mods for merging, I did try search!)
I've flown LH F with my wife three times in the past year. In each case, I booked both seats at the same time on the same PNR.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by demosthenes1
I've flown LH F with my wife three times in the past year. In each case, I booked both seats at the same time on the same PNR.
Sorry, I should have clarified, LH F *award* ?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by navi-c
Sorry, I should have clarified, LH F *award* ?
I should have been clear, too. Yes, they were award seats.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:37 pm

Just wanted to update, after being persistent in calling/hanging up/calling back - the two seats opened up around T-27 hours (I can give up to the minute too ). Thanks to everyone whose posted and to FT in general. This is going to be one hell of a ride (LH F 747-8, TG B A380, TG F 747)!!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
What day? I'm on FRA-IAD in F next week as well.
Next Thursday.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:18 pm

Booked NRT-->FRA and FRA-->IAD today. Found "O" space on both flights at T minus 14 days, although the FRA-->IAD space only showed up on the ANA website and not on UA's website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.