Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Compensation Thread [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:50 am

Kmxu, you are right. The award email arrived tonight and it was for $100.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Seat with broken recline GUM-HNL in paid First. 10,000 miles. Whoopdedoo.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by happywanderer
Missed a connecting flight to NRT from SFO by five minutes and was booked on first flight out following day -- just under 22 hours later. Connection was missed because of maintenance issue at IAD. Received three $7 food vouchers and hotel voucher at the dumpy Comfort Inn. Also received 25,000 SkyMiles. Similar issue last year yielded $350 credit voucher.
Hi

Same happened to me. Missed my international flight because previous flight late after a mechanical issue. Had to wait 24 hours for next flight. Got the 3x $7 food vouchers, but refused the hotel voucher as didn't like the motel offered, but no "apology" card offered. The United.com/appreciation says no record of anything going wrong so won't accept a claim. Who should I write to? I realise I won't get my hotel back, but some miles, even devalued ones, would be some compensation for my highly inconvenient 24 hours!

JJ
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by JJ235
Hi

Same happened to me. Missed my international flight because previous flight late after a mechanical issue. Had to wait 24 hours for next flight. Got the 3x $7 food vouchers, but refused the hotel voucher as didn't like the motel offered, but no "apology" card offered. The United.com/appreciation says no record of anything going wrong so won't accept a claim. Who should I write to? I realise I won't get my hotel back, but some miles, even devalued ones, would be some compensation for my highly inconvenient 24 hours!

JJ
customer care
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:50 am

Hi

JJ
I have had better luck with the credit card company... especially if you have any proof of the plane going mechanical.

Also, at some point this has to slide into the realm of fraud to the gov't/consumers. Here is my logic... I assume when a plane has a mechanical, they record and must report it to a gov't agency. Likewise, when there is a missed flight and they do not report a problem to a gov't agency... the stories would not match. Or if UA sends you an email or something else that says there was no problem... then the tell the FAA or some other agency there is a problem... it just seems like fraud somewhere.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I have had better luck with the credit card company... especially if you have any proof of the plane going mechanical.

Also, at some point this has to slide into the realm of fraud to the gov't/consumers. Here is my logic... I assume when a plane has a mechanical, they record and must report it to a gov't agency. Likewise, when there is a missed flight and they do not report a problem to a gov't agency... the stories would not match. Or if UA sends you an email or something else that says there was no problem... then the tell the FAA or some other agency there is a problem... it just seems like fraud somewhere.
Fraud is a strong word but I agree they manipulate all the time.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
Hi

JJ
First, welcome to flyer talk. I just sent an e-mail to customer care with the pertinent information and I got a response within 24 hours with an apology and the MileagePlus miles. Seems like UA acknowledged mechanical issue or you would not have received the meal and hotel vouchers. I would suggest that you re-contact them making that point. Good luck.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:40 pm

Reasonable comp for broken Int'l BF seat?

My partner and I traveled on UA 915 IAD-CDG in PAID BF last week. One of our seats was completely inoperable ... no movement at all, discovered after takeoff. There were no available empty seats to move to. FAs were at best disinterested ("we'll figure it out after the meal service"). We were eventually given a "service interruption" card, but that only allows you to register online, and not provide details - or discuss compensation. I think one GPU ("systemwide") upgrade would be appropriate. Does this seem fair? Any hints on getting a fair outcome?

(I'm a 1MM and again 1K after a several year. Also my first FT post!)
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FR, SKRDC1!

The form usually results in a voucher or miles, the values of which are based on your status. I've never seen a GPU offered, but you might find this thread useful.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by SKRDC1
My partner and I traveled on UA 915 IAD-CDG in PAID BF last week. One of our seats was completely inoperable ... no movement at all, discovered after takeoff. There were no available empty seats to move to. FAs were at best disinterested ("we'll figure it out after the meal service"). We were eventually given a "service interruption" card, but that only allows you to register online, and not provide details - or discuss compensation. I think one GPU ("systemwide") upgrade would be appropriate. Does this seem fair? Any hints on getting a fair outcome?

If you do a search on broken BF seat you will find numerous posts that can help - have you made a formal request? I think I have in past once got a 500 USD voucher.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS
Not every seat reclines and reclining a few inches is not going to change anything for the person taking the flight. Most people never recline on flights.
If she complains just to complain they would most likely will refund the difference for the E+ upgrade.
That statement is so inaccurate.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
. I think one GPU ("systemwide") upgrade would be appropriate. Does this seem fair? Any hints on getting a fair outcome?

Keep dreamin'! What is fair and what UA will give you are far two different things. Email and/or write to customer care, give the details in a factual manner, make your proposal and see what happens! You never know unless you ask...(but my bet is you'll get 5k miles and/ or an ETC for 200. So sorry I can't be more positive about it!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

so what did UA offer? I don't think you'll get a GPU. Maybe $300 voucher these days. I'll see myself, my wife had a similar issue last week.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback - including the consolidation thread. Wish I'd thought to look there!

Cheers!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
Originally Posted by 110pgl

Do you mean DOT? Or is there another mechanism for FAA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.