Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz
Original Poster

Consolidated Compensation Thread [2014]

For reference, here is the 2013 edition:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2013-a.html
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
2013 NRT–SFO lacked wifi and requested veggie meal; 12,500 miles credited

My fiancé (UA Plat) and I (UA Silver) were flying NRT–SFO in GF as part of our award travel to Thailand; After boarding, we were informed through the overhead speakers that the wifi was not working and, directly by the purser, that one of our requested veggie meals was not loaded onboard. I wrote into United last week for her and got an apology message back today stating her account would be credited 12,500 miles for the inconvenience. I'm pretty satisfied with the compensation.

On an unrelated note, does UA ever credit PQM for compensation? My fiancé finished 2013 with ~81,000 miles and I wondered if they would give her 1K instead of crediting the 12,5000 miles. I know this is a reach and would never happen, but I'm still curious whether UA ever gives PQM for compensation. Anyone have experience with this or know someone who's been credited PQM for an issue they encountered?

Happy 2014!
Luke
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Probably not

Originally Posted by LukeRB

On an unrelated note, does UA ever credit PQM for compensation? My fiancé finished 2013 with ~81,000 miles and I wondered if they would give her 1K instead of crediting the 12,5000 miles. I know this is a reach and would never happen, but I'm still curious whether UA ever gives PQM for compensation. Anyone have experience with this or know someone who's been credited PQM for an issue they encountered?
Happy 2014!
Luke
I havr never heard of United awarding PQM for compensation. In addition, 12.5k miles is worth a whole lot less than the 1k status.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD

Happy 2014!
Luke
Never heard of them giving PQM's a comp
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Meal request (biz) not loaded on to plane - IAH-AMS - Got apology email no compensation
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by footastic
Meal request (biz) not loaded on to plane - IAH-AMS - Got apology email no compensation
Ouch! How did you phrase the feedback/complaint, and what was the meal request?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Ouch! How did you phrase the feedback/complaint, and what was the meal request?
gluten intolerant - via customer service portal on website - bit of a bummer!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
How much compensation should I expect or be ok for a broken seat on a TATL flight in global/first?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
How much compensation should I expect or be ok for a broken seat on a TATL flight in global/first?
ive gotten 300$ voucher in BF on TATL.. Probably could of held out for more. seat wouldn't lay completely flat
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:36 am

Ask for compensation when mechanical issue causes misconnect and two-day delay?

I've been on hold on the phone, off and on, for an hour while a United agent tries to get me to my destination. I was booked on a flight which has been delayed (for mechanical reasons, NOT for weather) so long that I'm going to miss my connections, and there are no other open flights to my destination either on United or on American until Sunday. (Today is Friday.) I'm actually sitting in the airport right now. The phone agent denies any knowledge of compensation. "Compensation, ma'am, I don't know if they would be offering any compensation."

Isn't some kind of compensation mandated for a situation like this? Or am I wrong? I did a search and couldn't find the answer. Can someone knowledgeable fill me in? If compensation is mandated I'll get in the line here, but it takes about an hour and a half to get to the front.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
You're entitled to timely rebooking for a missed connection, not compensation. As for your difficulty getting someone on the phone, the whole operation is under stress today because of the east coast snowstorm, so chill out.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:40 am

Oh, I'm chilled -- just wanting to know if a passenger is entitled to anything under these circumstances. It's costing me significant money for the two-day delay, so I thought it was worth asking.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flyz
Oh, I'm chilled -- just wanting to know if a passenger is entitled to anything under these circumstances.
Unless you are departing from the EU, no.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Unlike EU there are fewer mandated compensation events in the US, assuming that is where you are. If your flight originated in the EU then the rules are different.

With the major snowstorm in the eastern seaboard there will be impact all cross the US, so it will be a tough few days this weekend getting that sorted out.

Even if your specific plane had a mechanical cancellation ( often called MX here) the delay getting you rebooked is certainly weather related.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by Flyz
I've been on hold on the phone, off and on, for an hour while a United agent tries to get me to my destination. I was booked on a flight which has been delayed (for mechanical reasons, NOT for weather) so long that I'm going to miss my connections, and there are no other open flights to my destination either on United or on American until Sunday. (Today is Friday.) I'm actually sitting in the airport right now. The phone agent denies any knowledge of compensation. "Compensation, ma'am, I don't know if they would be offering any compensation."

Isn't some kind of compensation mandated for a situation like this? Or am I wrong? I did a search and couldn't find the answer. Can someone knowledgeable fill me in? If compensation is mandated I'll get in the line here, but it takes about an hour and a half to get to the front.
--

---------------------------------------
Mechanical, yes. you should be getting some compensation.....please talk to United Agents AT A TICKET COUNTER. They really have to be trying to get you offline or even to a connecting point with continuation as soon as possible. Good luck (sincerely).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.