Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TG F Booking with UA Miles Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
TG F Booking with UA Miles Question

I booked seats TG BKK-CDG on the A380 in O class. UA ticketed and confirmed the reservation. I went on Thai's site and it shows the reservation but it only let me assign one seat. The rest of the seat map shows occupied. Does TG block seats? Should I be worried that they will downgrade me? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I felt like I hit the jackpot with this flight and an LH segment in F FRA-JFK but now I'm nervous about this one.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I booked seats TG BKK-CDG on the A380 in O class. UA ticketed and confirmed the reservation. I went on Thai's site and it shows the reservation but it only let me assign one seat. The rest of the seat map shows occupied. Does TG block seats? Should I be worried that they will downgrade me? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I felt like I hit the jackpot with this flight and an LH segment in F FRA-JFK but now I'm nervous about this one.
Given your LH F segment, I'm assuming this is for a trip within 14 days. Thai has a tendency to severely overbook its J and Y classes since there is little demand for its F. Also, Thai is infamous for last-minute equipment changes, so yes, technically there is a chance you may be downgraded if the equipment goes from A380 (with 12 F seats) to B744 (depending on the configuration, TG has either 9 or 10 F seats). If in the worst case scenario this ends up happening, you can request to be put in F on another airline... I'd recommend Emirates since it has an amazing A380 F class, though TG may try to push a Star Alliance partner, and SQ also has an excellent F product.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I wasn't aware that they would reroute me on another airline in F (*A or no) if I was downgraded. I'm going to call tomorrow to request a seat and see what they say. Economy is not being sold on this flight but Business has 9+ seats for sale. Thanks, fly747first.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: Freelancer
Anytime I've flown TG via a United booking I needed to call Thai reservations to get seat assignments. Have you tried this?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I wasn't aware that they would reroute me on another airline in F (*A or no) if I was downgraded. I'm going to call tomorrow to request a seat and see what they say. Economy is not being sold on this flight but Business has 9+ seats for sale. Thanks, fly747first.
Don't worry. Even if they overbook, you still have options and TG can put you on another airline in F.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Happy Hour
Anytime I've flown TG via a United booking I needed to call Thai reservations to get seat assignments. Have you tried this?
+1 Just call and see if they can help you out. I'm leaving today (well connecting to a flight tomorrow) in TG F, and had to call for seat assignments. FYI, swaps happen. This route has gone 747 -> A380 -> 747 again. Oh well, at least it's the 9F one.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:11 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I can change my seat assignments on LH and TG websites. Then I would call TG just to make sure.

Originally Posted by fly747first
Given your LH F segment, I'm assuming this is for a trip within 14 days. Thai has a tendency to severely overbook its J and Y classes since there is little demand for its F. Also, Thai is infamous for last-minute equipment changes, so yes, technically there is a chance you may be downgraded if the equipment goes from A380 (with 12 F seats) to B744 (depending on the configuration, TG has either 9 or 10 F seats). If in the worst case scenario this ends up happening, you can request to be put in F on another airline... I'd recommend Emirates since it has an amazing A380 F class, though TG may try to push a Star Alliance partner, and SQ also has an excellent F product.
TG can put you on EK? That goes a lot out of the way though (but I wouldn't complain if I am put on two segments in EK F).
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I've done this and also had to call TG for seats. They were very pleasant and helpful.

I think it's a good idea to call anyway to check that your ticket's been correctly issued. Doesn't always happen with partners.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:33 am
Original Poster

I emailed TG (the phone was not working) and got an email with a seat assignment this AM. Thanks, everyone. Excited about my trip - flying LH F on a 747 and TG F on the A380. Both are firsts for me
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:43 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

What's the email you used, [email protected] ?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by agp423
What's the email you used
I have always used [email protected] and have gotten a reply in ~24 hours.

SunLover
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:02 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Thank you! I called a week ago to confirm the ticket and seats, but I just emailed them to confirm again. I felt the agent on the phone was rushing me to get off the phone for some reason before.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I've made dozens of F award bookings on TG and never had a problem. You can call them to confirm if you're worried.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:23 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

I'm just a little skeptical because I have four carriers on one award ticket: LH, TG, CA, and OZ. All but CA have the same confirmation number. I can check the ticket as well change seats using the number on LH and TG websites. I don't know if that sounds right or not. I have never booked an award ticket with those carriers.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I emailed TG (the phone was not working) and got an email with a seat assignment this AM. Thanks, everyone. Excited about my trip - flying LH F on a 747 and TG F on the A380. Both are firsts for me
Hope we will see a TR! I was going to basically book that route but instead I booked OZ JFK-ICN-BKK with the JFK-ICN slated to be in their F suite. I'm coming home the opposite way with BKK-CDG in J A380 (crossing my fingers so no swap as it'll be my first A380).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.