Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:43 pm

Ahh OK - sorry op-up not CPU, I'm not too familiar with the terminology. Yeah, we got upgraded to BusinessFirst from E+. Economy was full so I guess we got lucky. Thanks again!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Just wanted to share a recent p.s. experience:

On Dec 15, we were booked on 514 JFK-SFO. I upgraded two of us to BusinessFirst with miles. (Had to call it in when R>0.) When we got to JFK, the employee at the United Club informed us that it won't be a p.s.-configured 757, but a regular 757. No wifi, no AVOD, no power, no lie flat seats. What a bummer. We both really wanted power and wifi so that we could get some work done (and I had run my laptop battery down by this point). The gate agent announced that we would receive a "goodwill gesture" from united.com/appreciation after the flight.

Onboard, they announced that the original p.s.-configured plane had a fuel leak and this was the alternative to cancelling the flight entirely.

After the flight, United.com/appreciation didn't show that we experienced any incovenenience, even up until today. So I wrote into Customer Care and they gave me 4,500 miles.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 787fan
Thanks so much for the data. I'm wondering what's the reason for the cut. Is JFK-SFO doing so poorly ? Or is UA considering deploying p.s. birds onto a route other than JFK-SFO/LAX ?

Meanwhile, EWR-SFO is at a crazy high of 16x daily in July. EWR-LAX is not too bad either at 13x.
Other airlines on the route are increasing frequency and upping their game which has to hurt yields on UA.

B6 will soon have 5 flights all operating with Mint service. AA has new A321 (5) flights. DL will have Delta One lie flat seats on all 7 flights per day and VX still has 4 flights.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: Continental
And the Upgrade fees will start on the PS flights next year too.
That is truly suckage!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Other airlines on the route are increasing frequency and upping their game which has to hurt yields on UA.

B6 will soon have 5 flights all operating with Mint service. AA has new A321 (5) flights. DL will have Delta One lie flat seats on all 7 flights per day and VX still has 4 flights.
Competition is brutal. P fares have been in the $2000 range lately and there's currently a $297 G fare SFO-JFK. It's just going to get tougher once DL upgrades its t-con fleet. UA really needs to up its game here.

Originally Posted by MattR23
When we got to JFK, the employee at the United Club informed us that it won't be a p.s.-configured 757, but a regular 757. No wifi, no AVOD, no power, no lie flat seats. What a bummer. We both really wanted power and wifi so that we could get some work done (and I had run my laptop battery down by this point).
What a bummer. Totally inadequate comp IMO.

This happens often enough that I check "flight status" obsessively in the 48 hours prior to departure to make sure I still have a ps aircraft. The one time I caught a sub UA was good about letting me switch to a different flight that did have ps configuration.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
After the flight, United.com/appreciation didn't show that we experienced any incovenenience, even up until today. So I wrote into Customer Care and they gave me 4,500 miles.
To follow up, I also wrote to Customer Care on behalf of my partner (Gold member) who was traveling with me (I was Platinum at the time, now 1K). He was given 8,750 miles as a goodwill gesture. I would figure that a CSR would check on what was doled out as compensation to others on that same flight, but perhaps it's more arbitrary than I thought.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Best seat for overnight red eyed sfo-jfk for sleeping....I take it 1E or 1F? Currently booked into 1E but flight is pretty open.

Guessing not much of meal service with a nearly 9 pm departure so not concerned about that, just want quiet so I can slep!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 2:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
To follow up, I also wrote to Customer Care on behalf of my partner (Gold member) who was traveling with me (I was Platinum at the time, now 1K). He was given 8,750 miles as a goodwill gesture. I would figure that a CSR would check on what was doled out as compensation to others on that same flight, but perhaps it's more arbitrary than I thought.
Compensation does vary based on status.

Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Best seat for overnight red eyed sfo-jfk for sleeping....I take it 1E or 1F? Currently booked into 1E but flight is pretty open.

Guessing not much of meal service with a nearly 9 pm departure so not concerned about that, just want quiet so I can slep!
Both row 1 and 5 have a larger footwell area compared to other rows. FA will place the snack basket in front of 1A/B and 5A/B. That's both a plus (easy access to snacks) and a minus (potential extra foot traffic).
Old Dec 26, 2014, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Compensation does vary based on status.

Yes, and OP was higher status, but got lower compensaiton than his companion.

Both row 1 and 5 have a larger footwell area compared to other rows. FA will place the snack basket in front of 1A/B and 5A/B. That's both a plus (easy access to snacks) and a minus (potential extra foot traffic).
Don't even consider the A/B pair for a redeye due to galley lights and noise. 1E/F are probably best for the red-eye because of the larger footwell and less traffic than row 5. If you don't care about the footwell, 4E/F would also be good choices. But the bulkhead footwell makes a big difference for sleeping on these aircraft.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Thanks! Will stick with what I have!
Any lounge open when arriving before 6 am at JFK? (have onward F flight on ANA around noon)
Old Dec 26, 2014, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Thanks! Will stick with what I have!
Any lounge open when arriving before 6 am at JFK? (have onward F flight on ANA around noon)
Lucky you, you can go to the superior BA F lounge then versus the UC.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, and OP was higher status, but got lower compensaiton than his companion.

Don't even consider the A/B pair for a redeye due to galley lights and noise. 1E/F are probably best for the red-eye because of the larger footwell and less traffic than row 5. If you don't care about the footwell, 4E/F would also be good choices. But the bulkhead footwell makes a big difference for sleeping on these aircraft.
^ Agreed about footwell space, but only row 5 E/F. The metal gate that blocks off the front galley and loo for pilot use is VERY LOUD and they latch it several times each flight. Light sleepers beware.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: delta PM, united G, marriott titanium, hilton diamond, avis preferred, hertz pres circle
M fare on LAX-JFK PS

is it still possible to book an M Fare for a LAX-JFK Premium Service flight?? the ticket will be purchased before March 1, but travel will be in April. As a 1K should I expect an automatic upgrade with the M fare? And will this avoid the co-pay for Premium Service??
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rickFPP
is it still possible to book an M Fare for a LAX-JFK Premium Service flight?? the ticket will be purchased before March 1, but travel will be in April. As a 1K should I expect an automatic upgrade with the M fare? And will this avoid the co-pay for Premium Service??
No Instant Upgrades for elites on p.s. flights.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by rickFPP
Unfortunately, no instant premier upgrade on M fares on PS routes (it is treated more like an international route in this regard, as it is with CPUs).

Tim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.