Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

SQ awards can be booked online but SQ generally does does not release to its *A partners all routes or all cabins -- especially the more premium cases

Old information
================================================== ===========
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you an early heads up about an upcoming change to the Star partner award availability you see displayed online. Singapore Airlines and United have agreed to remove Singapore Airlines inventory from our award flight search results on united.com and on the United Mobile App. This will take effect starting tomorrow, December 13, You will still to be able to book and change award reservations involving Singapore Airlines by calling our reservations lines.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
The fee for non-premier to book awards through the call center will NOT be waived as per:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
As most have you has suspected, unfortunately we're not waiving the booking fee. The simple reason--and this is a consistent policy across all airlines which are not yet online--is that there is substantial additional work required to price and ticket these awards in our contact centers.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
This is currently the policy

Update: SQ's statement on the recent change:

Originally Posted by SQ
Each Star Alliance member carrier may choose how to fulfill such redemptions differently, which we have no influence over.

For example, some Star carriers may choose to allow their respective frequent flier programme members access to redemption online or offline, depending on their respective platforms.
Print Wikipost

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The arrival time is matched with mine (from US) better on SQ. She has been on TG flight before but never experienced with SQ.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Nothing has changed except that UA has resumed allowing them to be booked online.
What has changed is that there are now attractive alternatives to SQ's regional services and even some of its long-haul services. The SQ hype is a little dated.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Yes! And grab it if you can.

-RM
Don't do anything rash and read the SQ A350 seat reviews first to (maybe) adjust your expectations.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Correct. United.com does not display SQ PNR codes. You have to call United to get it unless you have another Amadeus PNR code from another airline (e.g. TG) in your reservation. But I'm not 100% sure TG even shows up on United.com. I know LH group carrier codes show as well as BR (EVA). I can't remember the rest as I don't have any open reservations except for UA and SQ.

-RM
I get my sq codes via ua twitter team. Saves me ftom having to make a call.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
It would seem not all SQ flights are available through United.com. I've been spot checking the SFO/SIN route as I'm flying it through UA this month and SQ never shows up in the results (either the non-stop or connecting). Weird.

As for SQ and the A350...yes, read up on the seats all you want. But getting SQ non-stop to Australia for saver award through United.com is still a decent deal vs going on TG and flying north to Bangkok before coming south again.

BTW, when spot checking SIN-Australia I see plenty of 777 routes open for saver award space as well. So if the A350 is truly a deal breaker then go with different equipment if it's available on your dates.

-RM
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Fitness
I get my sq codes via ua twitter team. Saves me ftom having to make a call.
I was pleasantly surprised that United assigned seats for CA and SQ flights immediately after I changed my wife's flight from TG to SQ. The J seats are good enough, which saves me calls to CA and/or getting the SQ PNR.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It would seem not all SQ flights are available through United.com. I've been spot checking the SFO/SIN route as I'm flying it through UA this month and SQ never shows up in the results (either the non-stop or connecting). Weird.

As for SQ and the A350...yes, read up on the seats all you want. But getting SQ non-stop to Australia for saver award through United.com is still a decent deal vs going on TG and flying north to Bangkok before coming south again.

BTW, when spot checking SIN-Australia I see plenty of 777 routes open for saver award space as well. So if the A350 is truly a deal breaker then go with different equipment if it's available on your dates.

-RM
Have you validated against AC? I don't think SQ really makes ULH available to partners in any class. Don't think it's a UA thing.

As for Australia I know up until now they've mostly only made space available on routes operated by 777s that have regional J (aka 1 SYD flight + BNE/Canberra/WLG and maybe others) while holding space on anything with updated lie-flat J (unless you got lucky and they swapped to lie flat after booking). The key is that not all 777s have lie-flat so most of the 777s you see seeing probably have the regional J.

No reason to think this has changed - though perhaps with the A350s coming online they are more open to allowing some lie-flat J to Australia open up.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Duke787
As for Australia I know up until now they've mostly only made space available on routes operated by 777s that have regional J (aka 1 SYD flight + BNE/Canberra/WLG and maybe others) while holding space on anything with updated lie-flat J (unless you got lucky and they swapped to lie flat after booking). The key is that not all 777s have lie-flat so most of the 777s you see seeing probably have the regional J.
The distinction is 77W and 380 (lie-flats) vs. 772 or 773 (regional seats).

Notwithstanding the general restriction on 77W and 380 award space, there has been a history of of the lie-flat J configuration showing as bookable on Australia routes; sometimes this can actually be booked and sometimes it cannot.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
The distinction is 77W and 380 (lie-flats) vs. 772 or 773 (regional seats).

Notwithstanding the general restriction on 77W and 380 award space, there has been a history of of the lie-flat J configuration showing as bookable on Australia routes; sometimes this can actually be booked and sometimes it cannot.
When I looked at this on Tuesday, I found inventory in booking class "I" on 26 Jul 2018 SQ251 SIN-SYD (11:35pm--9:15am), operated by a 777-200.

According to expertflyer the seat map for that aircraft shows 2 cabins with 1-2-1 configuration in the J cabin.

I think this might have been a short-lived SQ error -- I no longer see the "I" fare class available for booking on that flight according to united.com and I only see X award inventory online. Too bad. 30k RDM for HKG-SIN, 10.5hr SIN, SIN-SYD in SQ J was a steal.

Last edited by mherdeg; Oct 5, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mherdeg
When I looked at this on Tuesday, I found inventory in booking class "I" on 26 Jul 2018 SQ251 SIN-SYD (11:35pm--9:15am), operated by a 777-200.

According to expertflyer the seat map for that aircraft shows 2 cabins with 1-2-1 configuration in the J cabin.

I think this might have been a short-lived SQ error -- I no longer see the "I" fare class available for booking on that flight according to united.com and I only see X award inventory online. Too bad.
Appears SQ has refitted some of the 772ERs with the long-haul seat. SQ Business Class
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Arrow

awesome! SQ is back online. This is a major ^
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Does Anyone know what happens to the SQ SIN-BNE-SIN award business (I) seat availability on the new A350 planes? They were all widely available almost daily when I saw it last time on 4 October but now they are all gone! Not even a single flight available within a year from today!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Does Anyone know what happens to the SQ SIN-BNE-SIN award business (I) seat availability on the new A350 planes? They were all widely available almost daily when I saw it last time on 4 October but now they are all gone! Not even a single flight available within a year from today!
Traditionally SQ blocks awards for travel on their 'premium' long-haul product. So this might be a case of the computer catching up with reality and finally blocking it?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:57 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We’d be interested in a business award JFK-FRA.

- Are these still available to UA flyers?

- Are they showing up on UA.com?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ericka
We’d be interested in a business award JFK-FRA.

- Are these still available to UA flyers?

- Are they showing up on UA.com?
Looking at the UA website, SQ's JFK-FRA flight doesn't show up; only LH's does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.