Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ever been declared an unruly passenger? (compensation question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever been declared an unruly passenger? (compensation question)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
What does the OP want? Miles for being rude, perhaps?

Did mother ever wash mouth out with soap?

If you think you could not get arrested:
http://laht.com/article.asp?ArticleI...tegoryId=14092

This is a bit more extreme, but it happens, do a google search. If I understand this correctly, you did this on a flt to Mexico. I hear they have some of the finest jails in the World.

If you want to use the Lav in F, buy F and listen to the FA. She has a job to do "safety", and being a waitress at 35,000 feet.

OP is lucky the FA did not say he touched her, or he would be in a 1* resort in Mexico with bars. Not cocktail lounge. Jail.

As for the FA - maybe it is time to retire and let someone new enjoy "the friendly skies" and do your job. Safety #1, Customer Service #2. The people on every flt you work pay your check.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I think there are a lot of guys posting on here and they obviously have never been pregnant. Been there, done that and without going into the gory details, it's an adventure and you can't control what happens with your body.

That being said, I feel badly for the wife and the OP should not have cursed, under his breath or not.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 14, 2013 at 1:22 pm Reason: inappropriate comment removed
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The OP was wrong to swear at the FA. What he should have done is advised his wife to get up and proceed to the F cabin lav, and if she was stopped by a FA, say quietly and firmly that if not allowed to use this lav soon, she would be forced to relieve herself standing in the aisle or at her seat.

I've had to use a variation of this many times, and it always works, and I never get arrested or detained.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Your country is ... when you can't curse. Get a grip. I am always dumbfounded when US people react to some healthy cursing like there was some threat. Believe me: when I want to threat you will hear it. Even over a jet engine
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kettle1

This is a bit more extreme, but it happens, do a google search.
Not comparable. People keep saying that I can google to find the mythical case where a couple muttered curses got someone arrested. If it's so easy to find, why not link me to it?

Originally Posted by chx1975
Your country is ... when you can't curse. Get a grip. I am always dumbfounded when US people react to some healthy cursing like there was some threat. Believe me: when I want to threat you will hear it. Even over a jet engine
The US has a more healthy right to free speech than almost any other country in the world. Ignore these people who are suggesting otherwise.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The US has a more healthy right to free speech than almost any other country in the world. Ignore these people who are suggesting otherwise.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Repeating what I mentioned in an earlier post. Thanks again to everyone for providing their feedback (especially the folks who have shared their own personal scenarios). I guessed this would be a divisive scenario that would result in some extreme opinions (a shocking occurrence on the Internet).

Thanks again!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kettle1
What does the OP want? Miles for being rude, perhaps?

Did mother ever wash mouth out with soap?

This is a bit more extreme, but it happens, do a google search. If I understand this correctly, you did this on a flt to Mexico. I hear they have some of the finest jails in the World.

If you want to use the Lav in F, buy F and listen to the FA. She has a job to do "safety", and being a waitress at 35,000 feet.

OP is lucky the FA did not say he touched her, or he would be in a 1* resort in Mexico with bars. Not cocktail lounge. Jail.

As for the FA - maybe it is time to retire and let someone new enjoy "the friendly skies" and do your job. Safety #1, Customer Service #2. The people on every flt you work pay your check.
A "bit more extreme"? If the OP's story is correct, you're comparing a single occurrence with the OP swearing under their breath to an incident with multiple occurrences and included physical contact. It's like comparing little league to MLB, they're not anywhere close.

His wife didn't want to use the lav in F, she wanted to use any lav period and was directed to use the one in F by another member of the flight crew so she did "listen to the FA", in fact according to the OP they were following directions of the more senior FA.

Where the story goes off the rails is that when they had an issue with the FA in first they should have gone back to the original FA without comment and have them either deal with the other FA or move the service cart so she could use the coach lav. I understand why the OP cursed, not that it's excusable though.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:16 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Be glad it was to Mexico, not Singapore. For those that compare the US to a police state should try swearing on a plane going to there a Singapore registered aircraft...

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...123-2d5vi.html

"An Australian man faces severe penalties in Singapore - including a caning - for allegedly swearing during an argument on board a Tiger Airways plane earlier this month.
The incident occurred on January 3 on board an overnight flight from Perth to Singapore; when the plane landed, the man was arrested

Or in the US, be glad it was UA and not Southwest: http://consumerist.com/2011/04/20/ma...t-flight-crew/

Last edited by fastair; Dec 11, 2013 at 1:27 am
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fastair
Be glad it was to Mexico, not Singapore. For those that compare the US to a police state should try swearing on a plane going to there a Singapore registered aircraft...

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...123-2d5vi.html

"An Australian man faces severe penalties in Singapore - including a caning - for allegedly swearing during an argument on board a Tiger Airways plane earlier this month.
The incident occurred on January 3 on board an overnight flight from Perth to Singapore; when the plane landed, the man was arrested

Or in the US, be glad it was UA and not Southwest: http://consumerist.com/2011/04/20/ma...t-flight-crew/
Typically, the media report made it sound as if the worst potential punishment (caning) had in fact been assessed. Not so. Australian Does Not Face Caning
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:58 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Typically, the media report made it sound as if the worst potential punishment (caning) had in fact been assessed. Not so. Australian Does Not Face Caning
You are correct, although the point I am making is that there are things, that in your home jurisdiction, might not get a 2nd glance, but on an airplane crossing national borders, could very well be a crime with unique penalties. So again, it's a reply to those who say "Arrested for what?" The OP was on a flight subject to rules and punishments which most definitely are different than his home municipality's rules and it is not likely he knew the regulations that could be applied to him.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:49 am

Bottom line, please don't "curse" anybody out.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 am
axl

Originally Posted by skylady
^exactly^
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by whimike
Where in America does saying "oh for Christ's sake" raise an eye or is considered "cursing her out"?!? Certainly nowhere I have been.
Travel more.

My seat mate was deboarded by police from a DL flight for saying

"I don't want any trouble from you on this flight" to the FA.

Following repeated statements from the FA to be seated...passenger was stowing coat during pushback...plane moving.

As is often the case, consumption of alcohol was a factor.

Originally Posted by skylady
+1000

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 11, 2013 at 5:53 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by x1achilles
I have to say that there are a lot of responses to Phatony.
This is a sensitive subject but I am glad to see most feel that the OP overreacted. Cursing is simply not acceptable in any airborne situation. It fuels the potential for a fight that just cannot happen on an airplane.
OP's wife should not really be able to use the lav upfront. Personally, if she cannot control her bowels or bladder, she probably shouldn't have been flying. I feel that there is probably more to the story that has not been told from this side.
Thirdly, being pregnant and so far from the lav in your cabin is bad planning. Everyone knows that the aisle gets blocked by the service cart. Why didn't she choose a seat at the rear? The cart would have only been blocking for a few seconds.
Its too bad that Phatony had the bad experience, but I have to side with the flight attendant on this...even though she likely overreacted as well.
I was on the fence a bit until I read your post.

If someone with the backward opinion that pregnant women should not fly agrees with UA and the FA, the FA must have been wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.