Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ever been declared an unruly passenger? (compensation question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever been declared an unruly passenger? (compensation question)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I must be old-fashioned. From the thread title, I thought the booted passenger was just fishing for a date.
As was mine
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by x1achilles
Cursing is simply not acceptable in any airborne situation.
Any airborne situation?

If I'm looking out the window and see an engine burst into flames or fall off the plane, I can assure you that a certain impolite word will be uttered - and deemed perfectly acceptable by most people given the circumstances.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by keepssmile
Just saw this from Twitter @mattallaert, a Microsoft employee.

Wow. Just got removed from @united flight because I asked flight attendant's name (because she was rude to other customer).

And he had to switched to Alaska Air to OAK and drive to SF...

http://www.mattwallaert.com/whatever...tendants-name/
Not a great day on UA for this pax! His prior Tweet at https://twitter.com/mattwallaert/sta...81928756252673 ::

"@united Kiosks are terrible: bad UI, very slow, multiple "offers". Remembering why I stopped flying you."
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
Looking forward to (hopefully) hearing that the FA has been fired.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Axey
Cursing is neither of those things. But :-: for more amateur legal analysis!
Cursing directed *at* another is verbally threatening - IMHO by fact and by intent. The only marginal cases involve their use as adverbs. Note that typically, their use as adverbs is grammatically incorrect.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc

Being told by an internet person that cursing at a flight attendant is punishable by 20 years in jail is the equivalent of being told by your neighbor that she's going to take you to the Supreme Court over your overhanging rose bushes.
Cursing almost always involves an inappropriately high level of engagement or personalization of the communication. Either you're being loud and "threatening" or, as the OP was, soft with a "you better watch out" implication. Both of these will escalate a situation into one that can be manipulated into detention or even an arrest if mishandled. Charges may not be filed.

Oh, so when people upthread where having the detention vs arrest argument above, what were the pedantic definitions of these two terms that caused the debate?

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I'd write to UA and apologize for my behavior. Explain that there were extenuating circumstances (and nicely explain what they were, but not in an entitled sort of manner), but that that wasn't a good excuse for my swearing. That I understand it's a tough job being an FA, and if that FA encounters someone in a similar situation to my wife's, I wouldn't want her to hold my unfortunate "conversation" with her against anyone else.

In all likelihood more good would come out of this approach than one where you attack UA. It's taking the high road without looking like you've got an angle for doing so. Not too many people do that, and it gets noticed.
I think this is a good idea but I wouldn't do it. Too much possibility for it to be misinterpreted as stalking behavior.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
But trust me, handling things this way drives my wife nuts.

So how do I make a win-win or even a tie out of this one? And maintain civility with my wife at the same time? Film at 11.
Just make sure your wife knows you understand her perspective, that you care about it and that you care about her. You know, the standard Venusian stuff out of the Mars-Venus book.

I have the same problem. I always make sure she knows that I side with her on everything. I find it helpful to talk about my actions in the third person and describe that I do things in order to get what I want, not because I actually disagree with her.

Originally Posted by kale73
Any airborne situation?

If I'm looking out the window and see an engine burst into flames or fall off the plane, I can assure you that a certain impolite word will be uttered - and deemed perfectly acceptable by most people given the circumstances.
Ha!

Though even in that circumstance, I think there's value in not panicking everyone on the plane. OTOH, I'm not saying that you should pull the call button and wait for the FA to come by.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Not a great day on UA for this pax! His prior Tweet at https://twitter.com/mattwallaert/sta...81928756252673 ::

"@united Kiosks are terrible: bad UI, very slow, multiple "offers". Remembering why I stopped flying you."
From a Microsoft employee? Complaining about bad UI? ROTFL - that's too funny!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: Maker's Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by wethereyet
When are airlines going to start actually holding FA's accountable for pettiness?
Would be morally satisfying but hard to implement at best. Most cases, it's single F/A against single pax. Unless witnesses stick around to be interviewed by supervisor and/or police, nothing to be done.

At the very least crew should stick around and explain themselves whenever calling for police. Might stop the "revenge" and "pre-emptive" calls (they do happen) but could lead to flight cancellations too if crew busy chatting with police misses departure slot.

Originally Posted by lensman
Cursing directed *at* another is verbally threatening
Says who? Some forms of cursing are actual threats, some are implied threats and some are neither. If people can't tell the difference, their emotional stability is to be questioned.
No different than people who find every deed they dislike offensive.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by bluegrinch
Would be morally satisfying but hard to implement at best. Most cases, it's single F/A against single pax. Unless witnesses stick around to be interviewed by supervisor and/or police, nothing to be done.
There needs to be way more checks and balances as the things pax get booted for (such as MatthewLAX taking a photo of his seat) get more ridiculus everyday.

If FAs knew there would be an inquiry, it would serve many purposes. At the least, it would start to curtail the petty nature of retaliation by FAs. I can't wait until they cross the wrong person and laws get rewritten as a result.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bluegrinch
Says who? Some forms of cursing are actual threats, some are implied threats and some are neither. If people can't tell the difference, their emotional stability is to be questioned.
No different than people who find every deed they dislike offensive.
Exactly. As the sensitivity training at work teaches us, offensive is in the eye of the beholder and if a colleague says your behavior is offensive to them, you have to stop regardless of whether you think it is offensive.

Regarding cursing, I thought I went into enough detail when I said cursing *at* someone was threatening vs using cursing as an adjective? Did you not understand the distinction I was making? I think you are agreeing with me.

Note that I *am* asserting that all verbal abuse is threatening. It is meant to belittle, demean, or to gain compliance through intimidation. I would also suggest that cursing under your breath is *extremely* likely to be verbally abusive. Otherwise why say it under your breath?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:02 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Exactly. As the sensitivity training at work teaches us, offensive is in the eye of the beholder and if a colleague says your behavior is offensive to them, you have to stop regardless of whether you think it is offensive.

Regarding cursing, I thought I went into enough detail when I said cursing *at* someone was threatening vs using cursing as an adjective? Did you not understand the distinction I was making? I think you are agreeing with me.

Note that I *am* asserting that all verbal abuse is threatening. It is meant to belittle, demean, or to gain compliance through intimidation. I would also suggest that cursing under your breath is *extremely* likely to be verbally abusive. Otherwise why say it under your breath?
^
Originally Posted by emcampbe
From a Microsoft employee? Complaining about bad UI? ROTFL - that's too funny!
At one point I made a habit of taking photos of every BSOD I found on an arrivals or departure screen. Too bad I didn't keep track of them and put them on a web page. Some of the "fails" were epic. Quite a number where the display had gone 90 degrees too. But I wouldn't be too hard on any one individual and blame him or her for all his company's problems. Oh. Wait. This is FT. The land of Smi/J. What was I thinking?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:07 am

The fact that I'm ever allowed to board any aircraft is proof that crews can't read minds.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Not your fault but such guidelines make it overly attractive to pull the "offense card" replacing the potential risk of offending someone with outright legalized blackmail. Such an unfair weapon existed for a long time with the harassment battle axe and it is beyond unwise to extend the arms race to the abstract matter of being entitled to be offended.

In either case such over-protection of sentiments must not extend to customers, they should be entitled to offend all they want.
Regarding cursing, I thought I went into enough detail when I said cursing *at* someone was threatening vs using cursing as an adjective? Did you not understand the distinction I was making?
I for one find that distinction insufficient. Calling someone a direct and straight invective is not threatening. Say "you petty, ill mooded, creature!" - offensive, very likely inappropriate, and inaccurate but with absolute certainty not threatening.

Having said that, I do not understand why pax still interact with crews in such ways. Just accept that the power pendulum has shifted all the way 4th Reich when it comes to air travel. That arguments are of no help nor is the jurisdiction.
Just save the venting for the cases where you travel in Europe or Asia where verbal battles are still within human interaction.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Platinum)
United should sell access to the FC lav. You know, $5.99 for flights under 2 hours and $9.99 for flights over 2 hours (boarding pass travel time, of course).

They can call it "Premier Potty Access."

Jeff should hire me right now.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by donjo
I'm kind of embarrassed to admit a run-in I had with a flight attendant a number of years ago, but this post brought back a memory. I was returning from a conference in New Orleans en route to Houston. We left the gate but sat on the tarmac for about 90 minutes waiting for clearance to take off due to bad weather in Houston. We were invited to move about the cabin while waiting. I was talking to my seat mate, and we were exchanging some humorous stories from our work in the emergency room. Out of nowhere came this aggressive 6ft tall masculine-appearing female flight attendant. She said, "sir, will you please sit down...you are scaring people." Everyone around me looked in disbelief, as did I, for nothing I was doing seemed to be scaring anybody. I felt a combination of embarrassment and humiliation. No alcohol, just laughing. This was shortly after 9/11, and so one had to be particularly sensitive of any comments directed toward flight staff. I waited until mid-flight, then rang the bell. This woman came up and asked what I needed. I said, "I'm looking for a female flight attendant." She abruptly turned around and left with a disgusted look on her face. I realize now how immature this was, but it accomplished something. How could she possibly complain to her superiors that she was upset that a passenger mistook her for being a man? Touché.
Not sure why you are posting this. It's not simply embarrassing, it's down right cruel.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: PC Plat, HH Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold
What are you talking about guys,

Pregnant, disabled, eldery are top priority, end of story. This FA was stupid should be fired immediately. End of story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.