Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Are things these days OVERALL at UA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:29 pm

2012 - 2013

Inflight Service (Attitude)

2012 Subpar -> 2013 OK. They just didn't try hard to serve better.

IRROPs

2012 Superb -> 2013 Superb

Club

2012 Horrible -> 2013 Still horrible. Always Overcrowded. You can make an argument now that 1K/Premier Desk does it faster than UC agents to rebook you to the next UA flight.

Customer Service

2012 OK -> 2013 Horrible. Now, not a single letter of response after you send a complaint letter. You will see a notification email of your compensations without even a letter of apology or simple explanation.

Upgrades

2012 Not bad -> 2013 Tougher. Percentage is about the same, with the exception that the only reason I keep it around 77% is because I take GPU/RPU confirmed upgrades into account! Without them, it's not even going to make a half!

FFP(MileagePlus)

2012 One of the best -> 2013 Absolute water-down. For obvious reasons.

This comes out as a 135k PQM flyer with 70% international and 30% domestic this year.

I would highly recommend UA to see what DL and AA have done. They are working very hard to keep their customer base and compete against UA. With the addition of network in AA, enhanced FFP and inflight service from DL, UA is not going anywhere.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Dec 11, 2013 at 9:51 pm
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Customer Service

2012 OK -> 2013 Horrible. Now, not a single letter of response after you send a complaint letter. You will see a notification email of your compensations without even a letter of apology or simple explanation.
I've had better luck on letters, although the two responses I received (after the auto-response) each took 3 weeks so you really had to wonder. And on one I did in fact send a follow-up before a response. There is no question they actually paid attention, especially to the one that was run up the food chain by someone who must have agreed with me that the Y 767 TATL product was nothing you'd want your brand showing on. The SFO maintenance base suddenly got very busy doing major rework on the Y cabins, according to a friend who works there.

It's just plain bizarre that it should take so long to get a response though! Is the thinking that, by waiting it out, people will calm down? Could be true.

All your other points I agree with. And even this one I don't strongly disagree with.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
i guess im happy with UA... back again 1k with 250k. However I am flying from Canada and Air Canada is a disaster with a horrid FF program.
I fly to Asia and AA really wont be of much use to me, and until AA get more layflat seats i wouldnt think of changing.
Reality is Delta is perhaps an option, but i think i will get my 2MM and then decide if i will swap programs.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I've had better luck on letters, although the two responses I received (after the auto-response) each took 3 weeks so you really had to wonder. And on one I did in fact send a follow-up before a response. There is no question they actually paid attention, especially to the one that was run up the food chain by someone who must have agreed with me that the Y 767 TATL product was nothing you'd want your brand showing on. The SFO maintenance base suddenly got very busy doing major rework on the Y cabins, according to a friend who works there.

It's just plain bizarre that it should take so long to get a response though! Is the thinking that, by waiting it out, people will calm down? Could be true.

All your other points I agree with. And even this one I don't strongly disagree with.
The one aspect of UA's CS that I have found consistent from premerger days through today is that I always get a quick and responsive reply from UA to comments I've sent to UA via 1KVoice or PremierExecutiveVoice, and no response whatsoever from snail mail communications. So i no longer bother with the latter, and use the former. It's one thing I give them ^^ on. I always get a well-thought out response, even if it isn't the answer I'm looking for.

Maybe I'm just lucky. That, or they know what my pitiful UG rate is, and they throw me this bone.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:52 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by halls120
The one aspect of UA's CS that I have found consistent from premerger days through today is that I always get a quick and responsive reply from UA to comments I've sent to UA via 1KVoice or PremierExecutiveVoice, and no response whatsoever from snail mail communications. So i no longer bother with the latter, and use the former. It's one thing I give them ^^ on. I always get a well-thought out response, even if it isn't the answer I'm looking for.

Maybe I'm just lucky. That, or they know what my pitiful UG rate is, and they throw me this bone.
I find the same. This year I am receiving prompt and detailed response from 1KVoice - which last year was pathetic, taking several days and handling it Jeff Robbo-style, with no reference to the actual complaint. I did take 1K Voice to task over a delay that they claimed was WX but UA.COM stated as "aircraft swap" and they acknowledged it and threw me a MP comp mileage bone.

@ BWI this morning, 1/2 eligible sectors upgraded. But, there are >50 people on the UG waitlist for a 16 F 738 from IAH to SFO this afternoon, I'm at #16. This situation reflects the earlier commentary on 1K UG rates, which have clearly declined for me since 2011/12.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Okay, a few random thoughts from a 6-year (I think) Global Services member, which I realize will not be representative of other travelers.

Overall I am extremely satisfied and will continue to fly United as long as I am GS. One thing I do not like is the proliferation of regional jets. I hate them. Also, I would like to see less delays but that seems to be getting better and they have been great for me with IRROPS.

Inflight service - just fine. Food is getting worse, though. A week ago on my way back from Germany in GlobalFirst the lamb in particular was horrible. I looked around and nobody in F was touching it.

United Club - I don't drink so the liquor changes don't affect me. Yes, it can be very crowded and I wish they'd work on that.

Customer Service - Superb A++. Quick replies to emails. Phone agents fall all over me with thanks and help, to the point where it gets embarrassing sometimes. If I have just a little question or problem they will call all over the place to other departments if they don't know the answer. I recently said "It's not worth all that bother, really" but they still wouldn't let me go.

GS personnel have met me several times at ORD and taken me out the jetbridge to a waiting Mercedes and driven me across the tarmac to my next flight or to the international F lounge. That I like.

Those yellow wraps they give us for gate checked bags work about 75% of the time. My bag is usually first. Recently in Houston the crowd was waiting just inside the terminal for their bags and a I saw a lone fellow walking down the jet bridge toward the crowd with just one bag to deliver - mine.

IRROPS - as I said, great. I was even impressed by the treatment a Gold member friend of mine got. He was flying MLI>ORD and due to mechanical trouble the flight was delayed 3 hours. When he landed in ORD he already had an email apology offering him $150 certificate or 7,000 miles or something else (I forget). He called me to ask my advice about which to take, and I said take the $150.

MileagePlus changes - don't much affect me so I don't care, really.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Inflight service has degraded considerably through the last year, in fact I only had two situations where the "first class" cabin was decent. My very last trip, who the FA saw my AA EXP tag and whispered to me that who she preferred to fly, and the other time when I found out the FA was from my home town.

On-time Arrival is just plain awful, I counted up over 75 hours of delays in 10 months of travels, 4 cancelations, and service with both the elite line and 1K line that made my skin crawl.

Food ... when you get it is pretty bad. As a seasoned traveler, I am used to good food (and really bad food) ... and frankly there were time I looked at it and longed for the days for food from the courtyard refrigerators for microwaving.

IRROPS ... as the Gekko states ... forgedda about it .... all automated all bad all the time ...

Except for the new United clubs they are pretty worn thin, and over packed/crowded. The agents there just aren't very pleasant (compared to Delta's and AA's), and it is very cold .....

As for cheap flights ... I don't see it ... I am having to pay $600-800 to start for a pair of regional jets ... (oh did I say non-mainline baby .... something the folks in the Southeast if they stick with UA will get to know and so love).

I shared some of the stories with a AA Platinum person, when I was booking for a flight on AA for fun, and she said crap that was bad and told me to hold on and passed me over to an EXP person who told me who to contact to do a three month challenge for EXP.

Least to say I already got my Xmas gift on December 1st ....

I really really did try to fly and be positive for United (since I flew pmCO) pretty heavily, and was hoping that it would work out since one of my routes (non-direct mind you) I didn't mind taking ... but at some point the abuse and poor service ... I just couldn't take it anymore ... If I was into that type of service I would go back in time and go into a new fraternity every year for the hazing experience ....

+-ADT
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
Tellingly, I experienced the same pros and cons this year, and I'm not a 1K.
Ah, but I see you're a Crown & Anchor Diamond. Nice! My wife and I are just getting into cruising and will be taking our first RC cruise in May. Since this is so far off subject, I'll just add that it is getting harder to use miles to position ourselves for cruises under the new MP.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
With one exception, in F on A320 LAX-IAD, legacy UA crew, I have found the BF cabin service desultory. Mostly CO crews lately. Food badly plated, don't know what wine they are pouring, get the offerings wrong, etc. My last TATL in BF they gave me a (possibly used) water glass with water mixed with some soft drink and then poured water in my unfinished drink. HNL-IAD the pasta choice was ice cold and undercooked. I find them to be nice enough but distracted and uninterested until they all hide in the galley. I suspect they are all demoralized with all the changes.

Last edited by iquitos; Dec 13, 2013 at 4:33 am
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iquitos
I find them to be nice enough but distracted and uninterested until they all hide in the galley. I suspect they are all demoralized with all the changes.
I really liked the CO crews pre-merger. But my experiences on sCO flights since the merger have been similar. I suspect you're right about demoralization. They seem to really dislike UA rules (such as prioritizing meal orders).
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat; Marriott Plat: Hilton Gold
Very helpful and insightful comments.

Thank you all.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, AA, DL
Totally agree on Copa

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
That was me writing specifically about the consequences of consolidation, but I could have just as easily written it regarding the current state of UA overall. Your pros and cans are a fine example of the latter.

IME, CPUs aren't quite as difficult as you describe, but it could just be that I often use RPUs, miles or just pay Z fares to insure my seat up front. I remember the first half of 2012 where I flew almost exclusively in E+, and my body is just too old to do that on long flights anymore. It literally hurts.

If you fly to/from Latin America, I can't recommend Copa highly enough. I don't recall missing a single CPU on flights out of PTY to anywhere to the USA or the reverse. It's also extremely rare that I miss one on an intra-Latin America flight. Even if I do, it's always a short hop for me, so I can deal with it.

The CPUs I get on Copa allow me to use my RPUs and mileage upgrades on domestic UA flights instead of burning them to get to and from the USA. My situation is certainly not the norm, but it's why UA still works as my FF program of choice. This in spite of their many and ever-increasing shortcomings.
I am based in Ecuador and am starting to use Copa more on routes to the US due to the change of the UIO-IAH flight to GPU only upgrade. It is not worth it as it is a domestic type almost upright seat. They are even making a flight with only food for purchase in coach on a transcontinental flight of over five hours. I guess these are more "changes we like." Copa is fine, very punctual, with good meals and a good hub in PTY. I recommend it highly.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:25 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Ecuacoflyer
Copa is fine, very punctual, with good meals and a good hub in PTY. I recommend it highly.
Let me know when Copa deigns to serve CLE.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Ecuacoflyer
I am based in Ecuador and am starting to use Copa more on routes to the US due to the change of the UIO-IAH flight to GPU only upgrade. It is not worth it as it is a domestic type almost upright seat. They are even making a flight with only food for purchase in coach on a transcontinental flight of over five hours. I guess these are more "changes we like." Copa is fine, very punctual, with good meals and a good hub in PTY. I recommend it highly.
It's sadly funny to me how Copa serves food on short flights - even in E - and makes it almost look easy. On flights of equal distance on UA, I feel lucky if I get a beverage.

For those of us flying north from Latin America, Copa is definitely the solution. GPUs from UIO/BOG/MDE/SJO-MIA/MCO/IAH? Seriously? I've always liked Copa, but now I LOVE them!

Originally Posted by RNE
Let me know when Copa deigns to serve CLE.
I don't know if CLE is on their radar, but I think they do have several more US cities in their plans. I say this only because they talk about their growth so proudly, and they already cover most of Latin America.

I'm hoping DFW gets a Copa flight soon. I would be on it 8 to 10 times/year. In the meantime, I can always use MCO, JFK, ORD or LAX as my staging flight, then use UA to hop to my ultimate destination. You might want to consider if that plan offers you the same value proposition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.