Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COO (McDonald), SVP Pricing (Kinloch), SVP Cust Experince (Hand) Leaving/Retiring

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA COO (McDonald), SVP Pricing (Kinloch), SVP Cust Experince (Hand) Leaving/Retiring

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halls120
No doubt this time next year the remaining pmUA senior execs will also be ousted. COdbaUA indeed.
2 of the 3 people leaving are PMCO...

And one of the replacements (pricing) is PMUA.

In fact, if Customer Experience isn't backfilled you get a net increase in PMUA mix at SVP & up.

I don't get the sense the COO role is one that makes a lot of policy decisions - more in charge of making sure things are reliable.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Good to see Continental people take all three top posts at United -- CEO, COO, and CFO.
Originally Posted by spin88
I 100% agree, they are running a GREAT airline! Its just so SPECTACULAR all the great changes they have made. Just makes everyone so warm and fuzzy..... They are so "savvy" I could just swoon... and it makes all of the new 2013 pro-CO posters so proud....

Now, having fired those complaining customers, just can any executives who can't toe the CO line...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 5, 2013 at 11:55 pm Reason: response to deleted post
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Interesting. I wonder what Martin Hand is taking the fall for ... at the SFO Mini DO, he talked as if two of his primary areas of responsibility were the GS program and the United Clubs. It actually sounded like his areas of responsibility weren't quite as broad as "customer experience" might lead one to believe. We all know how rosy things are at the UCs these days. I wonder if he is also being blamed for failing to retain HVFs.

Worth noting that Martin Hand was PMCO.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
2 of the 3 people leaving are PMCO...

And one of the replacements (pricing) is PMUA.

In fact, if Customer Experience isn't backfilled you get a net increase in PMUA mix at SVP & up.

I don't get the sense the COO role is one that makes a lot of policy decisions - more in charge of making sure things are reliable.
Still, the top 3 posts are now pmCO. COdbaUA....

Originally Posted by Sykes
Interesting. I wonder what Martin Hand is taking the fall for ... at the SFO Mini DO, he talked as if two of his primary areas of responsibility were the GS program and the United Clubs. It actually sounded like his areas of responsibility weren't quite as broad as "customer experience" might lead one to believe. We all know how rosy things are at the UCs these days. I wonder if he is also being blamed for failing to retain HVFs.
Well, if it was his idea to make the food offerings worse and cheapen the free booze while jacking up the decent booze, he was carrying out management's wishes, was he not?

If he's being blamed for losing HVF's, I feel bad for him.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:00 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Good to see Continental people take all three top posts at United -- CEO, COO, and CFO.

Of course, they all have "CO" in the job title, just an extra letter in the middle
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by CALMSP
a little misleading, COO is retiring after 45 years, not that he is being forced out. That may be the case, but I"d put more money on the retirement after 45 years.
You may be right, but I would want to retire on a high note.

Guys, I'm wondering if there's going to be more changes coming In the new year we aren't going to like....
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by fastair
Of course, they all have "CO" in the job title, just an extra letter in the middle
Hey, it's a conspiracy.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Hey, it's a conspiracy.
Ha ha, I think you meant "COnspiracy"
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC

Worth noting that Martin Hand was PMCO.
Still, the top 3 posts are now pmCO. COdbaUA....

Well, if it was his idea to make the food offerings worse and cheapen the free booze while jacking up the decent booze, he was carrying out management's wishes, was he not?

If he's being blamed for losing HVF's, I feel bad for him.
I met Martin Hand at two different SFO Family Days. At the 2013 SFO Family Day I had the pleasure of sitting between Martin and Aaron at the Slanted Door luncheon. Martin was a very pleasant person, but frankly I didn't envy him the job he had. At the 2013 Family Day he continued to smile and be cordial while he took a fair amount of guff from a couple of the attendees.

In the conversation I had with him it was pretty clear he was trying to accomplish a lot on a budget I'd place somewhere between non-existent and minimal. An example is buying new furniture for the Denver United Club West then culling through the remains of the furniture from east and west clubs to come up with enough furniture for the east club. There was probably daily pressure to get creative and continue to cut costs.

I think the guy we'd all like to see get fired is the person who promulgated the thought "customer experience be damned, SHARES will suffice"; i.e.: let em eat cake....
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Interesting. I wonder what Martin Hand is taking the fall for ...
Martin has always been a great guy IMH, very customer focused. I'm not sure what his current responsibilities are/were, but he did move up a level or so with the merger.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum

Greg Hart is a tool. Having seen him hopscotch around CO in various roles I wouldn't classify his strategy as ground breaking but rather a copy/paste of whatever PowerPoint is handed his way if he even takes the time to pay attention to whats on it. He's got the charm/people skills of Dick Cheney to boot. He rode the coattails of Zane Rowe and was in the right place at the right time. Rant off....

However Im somewhat surprised at bagging Leon Kinloch. Might be more a kneejerk reaction though...he was a longtime CO guy, but then again that might have been part of the problem, with respect to strategy but RM usually follows what's sent down from the top. My point being they can have a revolving door of people in pricing but unless the overall change starts at the top, the CO method of only gouging your nonstops and ignoring all other markets just because there possibly can't be any money in connecting markets since IAH, CLE, EWR are where the money is, just isn't going to cut it.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:05 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Martin has always been a great guy IMH, very customer focused. I'm not sure what his current responsibilities are/were, but he did move up a level or so with the merger.
One of his roles not clearly associated with his job title, was he was the company's face man in trying to get the ramp/res/cs/storekeepers/mileage plus agents to vote out the IAM a year ago and become "at will"/non-represented a year ago. That was no small task, and in it, his task failed as the IAM was voted in with a large majority.

It's a year later, not sure if this played a part, but that was a HUGE task, one that's results were not directly controled by him, but a task for which he failed. I still have the DVDs and glossy propaganda that they sent to us every day for months at a time sitting on bottow of a pile of papers that I need to destroy.

I had a meeting accepted by him to discuss some of the misleading and factual errors in the propaganda they sent out. His people were very pleasant in dealing with me, and bucking these false coersive statements up to him and they quickly arranged a meeting with him and myself to discuss it. He never showed up for the meeting, it was cncld 15 min before due to time constraints on his schedule. It was all done very politely, but the factual misrepresenations were never discuused or resolved and it was dropped by me as no attempt was made by him or his people to reschedule prior to voting.

Originally Posted by qukslvr619

However Im somewhat surprised at bagging Leon Kinloch. Might be more a kneejerk reaction though...he was a longtime CO guy, but then again that might have been part of the problem, with respect to strategy but RM usually follows what's sent down from the top. My point being they can have a revolving door of people in pricing but unless the overall change starts at the top, the CO method of only gouging your nonstops and ignoring all other markets just because there possibly can't be any money in connecting markets since IAH, CLE, EWR are where the money is, just isn't going to cut it.
His replacement. Doug Leo had the job with UA for a handful of years prior to CO putting their people in there. He isn't an original UA guy, but came from US. His results with UA were good and he was respected both within UA, and the industry as a whole. Never new Leon Kinloch, so can't comment on his reputation other than the results UA has publishhed since he took over have been sub-par compared to UA's peers.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 6, 2013 at 5:41 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
<yawn>

Wake me up when they fire Rainey - that will get me excited.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 6, 2013 at 2:37 pm Reason: off-topic
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
I could be wrong, but I think there have been some major health benefit changes or deletions to management/supervisory employees, but I don't know to what level (how high) this goes. Could any of that be a factor (if any of these guys are not of true retirement age) for leaving? ....anyone know or care to guess ?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by fastair
Let's not forget about the CIO. Until a change is made there, they aren't serious about polishing the customer experience.

I did read they added a new Board Member yesterday. A guy from NCR, the global leader in consumer transaction technologies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.