Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COO (McDonald), SVP Pricing (Kinloch), SVP Cust Experince (Hand) Leaving/Retiring

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA COO (McDonald), SVP Pricing (Kinloch), SVP Cust Experince (Hand) Leaving/Retiring

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

https://twitter.com/PlaneBusiness/st...35306892849152

https://twitter.com/PlaneBusiness/st...24581604548608

Guess Compton found someone to take ownership of the pricing issues...

Leon Kinloch was a PMCO pricing head who ran it for the merged airline. PMUA pricing head Doug Leo was shifted to corporate development, now he's coming back to pricing.

Unfortunate for those who are leaving, awfully familiar to the changes last December, but on the marketing side.

The COO leaving/retiring, Pete Macdonald, was a PMUA lifer. Replacement Greg Hart ran tech ops under him, and is PMCO.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Interesting. Still need more shakeup at higher levels IMO.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
a little misleading, COO is retiring after 45 years, not that he is being forced out. That may be the case, but I"d put more money on the retirement after 45 years.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:54 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by CALMSP
a little misleading, COO is retiring after 45 years, not that he is being forced out. That may be the case, but I"d put more money on the retirement after 45 years.
Maybe for McDonald, but in regards to Kinloch and Hand it feels more like Bergsrud's and Amenechi's "retirement" last year.

Last edited by J.Edward; Dec 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Change one of the letters in the header and we'd really be talking

As is, just rearranging the deck chairs
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

And now one that is a name many of us have met...

Apparently Martin Hand is also out - SVP of customer experience.

https://twitter.com/PlaneBusiness/st...49542616494080

Our UA Insider team is under his group. Hope the rest of the team is well.

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....vBio&ID=218542

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Dec 5, 2013 at 5:16 pm Reason: link to bio
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:33 pm

Wow.

Seems they must do annual reviews at this time of the year.

I wonder how much of this is scape-goating to protect the executive team so their huge bonuses are secure for another year?

After all, it's not these individuals who designed the "let's fire our customers" strategy themselves.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:44 pm

If Hand is out this is something more than normal retirement rotation.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

MacDonald was the only one of usual 'retirement' age among those noted so far.

Someone posted here they cut salaries for all headquarters managers down to rank and file last month. Don't know if forced departures are going deeper than SVP level.

Martin's is a little off with public statements, with Jeff rattling off 'record' customer satisfaction scores. Of course contrary to what's experienced here.

As always with large company mergers and reorgs...lots of politics and other factors none of us has insight on.

If he is not backfilled, then may have been mostly a cost cutting move and the role gets consolidated for someone else.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
MacDonald was the only one of usual 'retirement' age among those noted so far.

Someone posted here they cut salaries for all headquarters managers down to rank and file last month. Don't know if forced departures are going deeper than SVP level.

Martin's is a little off with public statements, with Jeff rattling off 'record' customer satisfaction scores. Of course contrary to what's experienced here.

As always with large company mergers and reorgs...lots of politics and other factors none of us has insight on.

If he is not backfilled, then may have been mostly a cost cutting move and the role gets consolidated for someone else.
and i quickly debunked that rumor. There were no salary cuts.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Good to see Continental people take all three top posts at United -- CEO, COO, and CFO.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Good to see Continental people take all three top posts at United -- CEO, COO, and CFO.
I 100% agree, they are running a GREAT airline! Its just so SPECTACULAR all the great changes they have made. Just makes everyone so warm and fuzzy..... They are so "savvy" I could just swoon... and it makes all of the new 2013 pro-CO posters so proud....

Now, having fired those complaining customers, just can any executives who can't toe the CO line...
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
https://twitter.com/PlaneBusiness/st...35306892849152

https://twitter.com/PlaneBusiness/st...24581604548608

...The COO leaving/retiring, Pete Macdonald, was a PMUA lifer. Replacement Greg Hart ran tech ops under him, and is PMCO.
Peter is actually quite a good person and understands the customers, employees and difficulties of operations whether it came across or not. He started with UAL in baggage handling in college and worked his way all the way up. It's really a shame that now UAdbaCO is run by non airline people. Peter really did have a passion for the industry but he retired/left and I honestly believe he had enough.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:32 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I wonder how Jeff reconciles the DOT complaint numbers with his "record" customer satisfaction scores, and how he does so with a straight face.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
I wonder how Jeff reconciles the DOT complaint numbers with his "record" customer satisfaction scores, and how he does so with a straight face.
He's a lawyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.