Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Digital Redesign Update: Next up, a new iOS mobile app

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Digital Redesign Update: Next up, a new iOS mobile app

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by cranrob
One of my reservations isn't coming up as a "card". I see it the wallet (or whatever it's called, and it lets me add it to my home screen as a card, but when I click on the card, I get a pop-up saying "We are unable to retrieve the latest information for this itinerary".
+1
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by mindless
OK, after some time with it, here is my opinion. It looks like Google Now and Windows Phone got drunk and made an app.

Visually it is a major upgrade but like most apps, the failure is on the navigation. There is no consistent navigation style across the app. You have Google Now style cards across the top with a side swipe navigation unlike Google's vertical swipe. The bottom of the main page is reminiscent of Windows Phone tiles with the Metro interface. The side swipe for menu options adds a third navigation style to the app. Few apps are able to pull off so many navigation styles on a small screen.

I think the app developers are planning on using similar navigation and format for all of the operating systems. If this is the case, that would explain why the signature navigation style from all three major operating systems is used within a single application. This allows for components of familiarity for each user base.

I think the application is just 'OK' as an iOS app. After getting used to it, I think I will adapt just fine. However, I don't believe good design requires adaptation.

Delta still has the best app, IMHO.

Well said
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
PreCheck on the Passbook BP is a huge step forward. Last week at DEN they had a TSA checker at the beginning of the PreCheck line and I had to fumble through my phone to get to the UA in-app BP. Now it'll just be a swipe away in passbook!

And if you move your phone around, you can let the folks on the 737 experience some serious bumps .
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by jackal
There's a benefit to the latter situation. If SHARES doesn't know where your trip breaks, then you can do fun things with upgrade instruments. Shh...
Oh I know. Lips are sealed.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:53 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by jackal
Elaborate then, please.
The app can be programmed to display any data in the record. The fact that it does not is a design fault, not a technical limitation.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bdawg4snow
Sideways seat maps,
Yes, these are terrible. Way too big and hard to view. The old version was just fine and gave sufficient detail.

If one needs a bigger map for seat selection, have a tap-to-zoom feature or something.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:10 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I've posted at this link
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21792222-post589.html
a way that some might be able to get the old United app back....
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Priorities....

United still can't tell me when my United Express flight will arrive or depart but they have a spiffy new app to tell me......nothing!

Still can't clean the airplanes but at least we've got a new app......
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:50 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by palmetto86
I have a flight within 3 hrs and the Travel Assistant hasn't done anything. Also, the My Flights tab within the flight status search is blank. I can see all my reservations int the app though. Anyone else getting either of these to work?
I had the same issue today: nothing in the Flight Status where my upcoming flights should be, nothing in the other areas of the app that are supposed to show today's information. Once it's working, it will be useful. Now, not so much.

Also, I noticed that Passbook thought my flight was at 13:40 today instead of 9:40am. I'm not sure whether it's the United app getting the time zone wrong or Passbook, but something is...
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Am I the only one feels this?

1) When pulling out the PNR, it's running slower than the old version.

2) When upgrade is cleared, the big helpful "check sign" is not there anymore.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: CX Gold
United actually flies in the new app!

Anyone discovered this? When I rotate my iOS7-based iPhone 4s, the United aircraft on the homepage of the app actually moves! I don't know why it took me this long to find it since yesterday!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Not a fan

The old app could have benefited from a few functionality improvements and updated graphics. The new app has great graphics and impenetrable functionality. Just figuring out where to sign in was a scavenger hunt. For this i-phone user, the app is a terrible change.

Used it to check in for a PVD to IAD flight this evening. Got a boarding pass that got me through TSA, but at the gate, I couldn't board. Agent told me I never checked in and that they thus gave my seat away. App showed me checked in, upgraded and with a boarding pass. Likely a SHARES issue, but very rocky first use.

I liked the old app - met 90+% of my needs, was intuitive and highly functional.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
This new AP is a mess! As soon as I can find the old AP I will be re-installing it.
All I can find is an older version on my ipod touch... I will try to back it up to itunes and reload it to my iphone...
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Downloaded mid-trip and took a bit of getting used to, but I like it. Spent about 15 minutes familiarizing myself with the changes and it works just fine. Apparently others are more challenged. C'est la gare.

Originally Posted by GBadger
PreCheck on the Passbook BP is a huge step forward. Last week at DEN they had a TSA checker at the beginning of the PreCheck line and I had to fumble through my phone to get to the UA in-app BP. Now it'll just be a swipe away in passbook!
Bingo!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 15, 2013 at 10:35 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by RNE
The app can be programmed to display any data in the record. The fact that it does not is a design fault, not a technical limitation.
I'm not trying to defend the app; I'm not even sure I like it yet. (My next trip is next week, so it'll get a workout then.)

But how would you propose the app decide what destination to display when United's own reservation system can't even determine the correct destination?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.