Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

One way Saver Award: Stop-overs less than 24 hours allowed? Baggage Constraints?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One way Saver Award: Stop-overs less than 24 hours allowed? Baggage Constraints?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Exclamation One way Saver Award: Stop-overs less than 24 hours allowed? Baggage Constraints?

Can I book a one way award where my connecting flight segments have less than 24 hour between the FLIGHT SEGMENTS and use that "in between time" ?

My goal is to reach SFO/ SJC and if possible maybe stop by DFW/ IAH/ IAD and meet some people for a meal or more and have a bunch of conversations.

I am considering stopping by and spending few hours or less than a day with some people on the way to my destination.

Technically: My connection will be less than 24 hours apart and hence does not count as a Stopover .

Can I do that for a one way award?

e.g. BOM > ZRH > NYC > SFO?
or
e.g. BOM > FRA > DFW/ IAH > SFO?
or
e.g. BOM > FRA/ ZRH > IAD (DC) > SFO?

If YES, is there a limit on how many such CONNECTING stops can I make?

- Could I step out of the airport and come back for next segment?

Baggage constraints?

- Can I/ should I let the baggage remain checked in.. step out, hang out with people and go back for next segment?
- Can I take the Baggage out and check it back in?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You can make as many <24 hour stopovers en route as you wish, but they are cracking down on number of connections allowed period.

I did a oneway this year from PUJ to CTS with 22:00-23:55 stopovers in PTY, YYZ and WAW on the way.

You can always ask to check your bags to wherever you like, and take them out.
Usually, you will not be able to keep your bags checked in overnight and will have to pick them up.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by rankourabu
You can make as many <24 hour stopovers en route as you wish, but they are cracking down on number of connections allowed period.

I did a oneway this year from PUJ to CTS with 22:00-23:55 stopovers in PTY, YYZ and WAW on the way.

You can always ask to check your bags to wherever you like, and take them out.
Usually, you will not be able to keep your bags checked in overnight and will have to pick them up.
So, I can leave them checked-in if its not an overnight and not haul them out. That's good to know.

Maybe one place I might take them out for an overnight and morning shower. Lets see what I can lock down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.