Wiki Posts
Search

US-Asia route via EU?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:07 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Seems like each time each agent has a different reason as to why my itinerary would not work...

Still waiting on agent 4. Proposed itinerary:

DTW-FRA-KIX, open jaw, NRT-PEK-ULN, stopover at destination, ULN-PEK-PVG-FRA-DTW

This one is taking especially long. Maybe it's working.

Update: on hold now for approx one hour and counting. The agent did come back and tell me that the pricing person is still working on it, and suspects that it's giving trouble because I am routing through EU. Still on ho.d

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 27, 2013 at 10:19 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
I hope this is not a new rue, but I did read the other thread on max # of connections. I always usually route through FRA or MUC when going to Asia on award.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:00 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Lady confirmed max three connections, four segments. So I can't route through BKK.

Now everything works, just waiting for CA's confirmation for my segments on CA.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:08 am

Worked Last Week

I was able to book a 9 Segment SE Asia trip last week in First for 140K miles each routing via Atlantic on Outbound and Pacific on Return. I booked what i could online then called in and just had them modify existing itinary. Guy had no issues with it.

Outbound: XXX-ORD-FRA-BKK-DPS
open Jaw
Return: SIN-BKK-23hr layover-PEK-3 day Stopover PEK-IAH-ORD-XXX

-Justin
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:20 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I was put on hold for about four hours last night. It seems like when a ticket does not price, the agent usually just guesses why and then tells you. Which is why the first time I called I got the "cannot route via FRA on Asia award." Then second time I got "4 connections max on departure." The third agent said you can't go in the wrong direction... aka USA-FRA-PEK-BKK-somewhere else in the North won't work. The fourth agent really looked into it (which is why it took so long) and it turns out that they are enforcing the rule of four segments each way. Also, the US-international leg has to be in upper cabin if the rest of the itinerary is in upper cabin. Anyway, got this figured out. Doing:

DTW-FRA-KIX, KIX-PEK-ULN, ULN-PEK-KIX-FRA-DTW

My first award ticket booked! Now here's to hoping that I get lucky and get four LH F when the time comes!
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
It is often easier to book some routings as 2 one way awards.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
It is often easier to book some routings as 2 one way awards.
But then you don't get a stopover.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by agp423
Anyone been able to successfully get an US-EU-Asia award recently?
Yes.

Westcoast-FRA( 24 hrs )-BKK( 24 hrs )-DPS, dest, DPS-BKK( 24 hrs )-NRT, s/o, NRT-Westcoast. 140k in F.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The fourth agent really looked into it (which is why it took so long) and it turns out that they are enforcing the rule of four segments each way.
I told you there was a problem with five segments on the outbound.

Originally Posted by FlyingDiver
But then you don't get a stopover.
And you also get fewer segments on a one-way. Not a solution to this problem.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I told you there was a problem with five segments on the outbound.
Can someone enlighten me with a segment question please?

If I were to book SAN-PEN and the following routing comes up :
SAN-LAX-SFO-NRT-SIN-KUL-PEN
Or SAN-HKT
SAN-LAX-ORD-FRA-ZRH-BKK-HKT
Am I exceeding the allowed segment count? I am a bit confused.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT

Or SAN-HKT
Yes you are likely to run into trouble booking those, especially the second one, since it routes through Europe. There is no harm in trying, but don't be surprised if you're not able to do it.

This is a tough rule for people who do not live in hubs and want to go to semi-out of the way destinations. Obviously for you the solution is to cut out the extra connections (e.g., SAN-LAX, FRA-ZRH, SIN-KUL), but this can be difficult with limited award availability.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:40 am

Or SAN-HKT
generally, the latest rules have been na to asia via europe have been max 4 segments. doubt the following routing would come up.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:57 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Yes.

Westcoast-FRA( 24 hrs )-BKK( 24 hrs )-DPS, dest, DPS-BKK( 24 hrs )-NRT, s/o, NRT-Westcoast. 140k in F.
Looks like an exciting trip, good for you that it works. Mine had problems because there were too many segments. Yours looks great though.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:23 am

Yes you are likely to run into trouble booking those, especially the second one, since it routes through Europe. There is no harm in trying, but don't be surprised if you're not able to do it.

This is a tough rule for people who do not live in hubs and want to go to semi-out of the way destinations. Obviously for you the solution is to cut out the extra connections (e.g., SAN-LAX, FRA-ZRH, SIN-KUL), but this can be difficult with limited award availability.
Thanks for the response which matches my thoughts. My son in law lives in Phoenix and often the website offers flights to LAX then up to SFO then to NRT etc. which means he would nearly always exceed the maximum segments. Just wanted to be sure.

Originally Posted by yerffej201
generally, the latest rules have been na to asia via europe have been max 4 segments. doubt the following routing would come up.
Many times from FRA to BKK the website offers connections to TG in ZRH or MUC which of course adds segments. Going to HKT he most certainly would be over the limit. Hasn't been a problem yet, will see.

Looks like an exciting trip, good for you that it works. Mine had problems because there were too many segments. Yours looks great though.
Have to go to Banks in FRA and BKK, that's why the 24 hr rule is so important.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

Totally agree.

FYI I have a BKK-FRA-ORD stopover (all completed thus far)

with

LAX-ORD-GRU-GIG destination for 10 days

then

GIG-GRU-ORD-NRT-BKK

I am waiting to go back via Europe when LH F opens 2 weeks before to go from GIG back to BKK via FRA.

This was a very complicated itinerary all in F btw... with Thai and LH A380 and 747 being used. It is a South Asia to Southern South America (via europe) F redemption for 160K UA miles. You could think of it as a round the world trip as it is booked now but you CAN route via Europe to go from even South America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.