Search

US-Asia route via EU?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:43 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
US-Asia route via EU?

Just called UA to book an award ticket for US - Asia with a connection in FRA. The agent put me on hold for twenty minutes and then told me I cannot go US - Asia via a connection in EU. Is this true/new?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: United 1k
US-Asia route via EU?

Not sure if this is a new change, I was told I had to use 50k more miles to stop in Europe last month
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:46 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Even if it's just a 3 hour connection?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:47 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
There have been some threads suggesting that UA has quietly changed award rules to that effect.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:49 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Anyone been able to successfully get an US-EU-Asia award recently?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA-Gold SPG-Gold Avis-First
It's still possible from SIN

I booked a UA award from ORD-SIN thru LHR in May. I just checked to see what comes up now, and got ORD-SIN connecting thru either Munich or FRA. Probably could find other cities if I looked at different dates...so not true, but maybe it's your particular destination.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:03 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bexpat
I booked a UA award from ORD-SIN thru LHR in May. I just checked to see what comes up now, and got ORD-SIN connecting thru either Munich or FRA. Probably could find other cities if I looked at different dates...so not true, but maybe it's your particular destination.
I'm doing USA-FRA-Asia-Asia-Asia

Last edited by TOMFORD; Oct 27, 2013 at 7:32 pm
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by agp423
Anyone been able to successfully get an US-EU-Asia award recently?
Yes, you just have to play agent roulette sometimes, esp. if you want to have an OJ & a SO in Europe.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:31 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

My OJ and SO are both in Asia. Only one connection in EU at FRA.

Before I called the agent said the award cannot be priced and had to be priced by hand. And then came back and said that I cannot route via EU. I just called again with a new route only in USA and Asia (north and south), and a new agent says it cannot be priced either and it had to be priced by hand... On hold now to see what she comes back with.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
My OJ and SO are both in Asia. Only one connection in EU at FRA.

Before I called the agent said the award cannot be priced and had to be priced by hand. And then came back and said that I cannot route via EU. I just called again with a new route only in USA and Asia (north and south), and a new agent says it cannot be priced either and it had to be priced by hand... On hold now to see what she comes back with.
Keep hanging up and calling again. Just because it can't price, doesn't mean it's not legal for an award. I had a similarly complex itin (Asia to US r/t, stopover/OJ in Europe) and it took 7 different calls + many hours on hold unfortunately.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:57 pm

hangup call back
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:59 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Okay, so here's my itinerary, please tell me this is okay before I call back again...

DTW-FRA-BKK-HND, open jaw, NRT-PEK-ULN, stopover, ULN-PEK-FRA-DTW

Agent said to go to Mongolia (and only Mongolia), I cannot route via EU. Other Asian countries are ok.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Okay, so here's my itinerary, please tell me this is okay before I call back again...

DTW-FRA-BKK-HND, open jaw, NRT-PEK-ULN, stopover, ULN-PEK-FRA-DTW

Agent said to go to Mongolia (and only Mongolia), I cannot route via EU. Other Asian countries are ok.
That sounds odd. Is there a segment issue here, with five on the outbound?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:08 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Agent says 4 connections are allowed on on outbound, 3 on return.

Agent number 4 now... She's saying five segments (aka four connections) on the way to is not okay. And it can only be four segments each way.

Update... Agent 4 now checking

DTW-FRA-KIX, open jaw, NRT-PEK-ULN, stopover at destination, ULN-PEK-PVG-FRA-DTW

Four segments each way.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 27, 2013 at 10:18 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Strange. I was looking at PHL-KUL award tickets for 2014, and all available itineraries were routing though Europe. Typical was PHL-FRA-BKK-KUL. If I tried from EWR, I was mostly getting EWR-CDG-BKK-KUL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.