Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Gets SFO ↔ Tokyo Haneda Authority - Service starts 26 Oct. 2014.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Gets SFO ↔ Tokyo Haneda Authority - Service starts 26 Oct. 2014.

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by iker
If what you say is true -- that these slots will never be profitable for any U.S. carrier -- then United's strategy of sitting on the authority for 6 months to delay another carrier from operating into and out of Haneda is foolish because it would mean that the other carriers would lose.
I think I should amend my original statement to be "mainland-U.S. carriers," because I believe HA is actually doing pretty well with their HND service. The fact is, both AA and DL have also used delay tactics (i.e. temporary suspension for various reasons/excuses) at one time or another. In the most logical sense, HA should have been awarded the slot that UA now owns. However, the flip side of the argument says that HND-Hawaii traffic skews heavily Japanese, so that the American public doesn't really win by awarding the slot to HA. Whichever way, the HND slots, the way they are currently set up, favor Japanese carriers and put U.S. carriers at a disadvantage. Perhaps daytime slots will finally be made available for the U.S. My guess is that UA is holding out hope that they soon will be.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I think I should amend my original statement to be "mainland-U.S. carriers," because I believe HA is actually doing pretty well with their HND service. The fact is, both AA and DL have also used delay tactics (i.e. temporary suspension for various reasons/excuses) at one time or another. In the most logical sense, HA should have been awarded the slot that UA now owns. However, the flip side of the argument says that HND-Hawaii traffic skews heavily Japanese, so that the American public doesn't really win by awarding the slot to HA. Whichever way, the HND slots, the way they are currently set up, favor Japanese carriers and put U.S. carriers at a disadvantage. Perhaps daytime slots will finally be made available for the U.S. My guess is that UA is holding out hope that they soon will be.
The argument about whether Hawaiian should have been awarded the slots is immaterial. I actually side with DOT on its decision. What's not cool is doing something with those slots. The slots are a perishable commodity and if they do not intend to inaugurate service as required by the DOT, then they should be penalized.
Old May 9, 2014, 5:28 pm

SFO - HND begins October 26th with 3-cabin 777

875 SFO - HND 6:35p 10:05p+1
876 HND - SFO 12:05a 5:15p

These flights are using the former SEA - NRT - SEA FLT numbers.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28

Thanks, Jose, for the update!
Old May 9, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Thanks, Jose. The return sked looks good, coming from TSA. I'm surprised about the choice of 772; I wonder what will be done with the 2x SFO-NRT, both of which are currently scheduled with the 744.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Thanks for the update!

Those are actually pretty good times for a BKK connection - NH849 outbound, TG660 return - avoiding the very late BKK arrival and the very early BKK departure.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Thanks, Jose. The return sked looks good, coming from TSA. I'm surprised about the choice of 772; I wonder what will be done with the 2x SFO-NRT, both of which are currently scheduled with the 744.
SFO-NRT is being moved to 1x daily service.

Will be interesting to see what can/will be done with the spare 744.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CALMSP
As predicted...need to find the links, weren't there a couple folks who SWORE there was no way they'd cancel the 2nd SFO-NRT flight once HND started?

EDIT...just a few pages upthread
Old May 9, 2014, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
As predicted...need to find the links, weren't there a couple folks who SWORE there was no way they'd cancel the 2nd SFO-NRT flight once HND started?
I guess each of us use FT for different purposes

With this schedule, which cities can have convenient connections on NH/UA? How about *A?

From USA: BKK? SIN?
To USA: a lot more such as GMP, TSA, SHA, SIN, BKK, HKG?
Old May 9, 2014, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Maybe another Europe route? FRA and LHR all seem to booking well.

They're really kind of stuck in between on SFO-NRT capacity. One 747's not quite enough for all the NRT connections, but two is arguably too much right now, let alone once HND comes on line.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP

Not a surprise. Why the DOT let's the carries get away with this is beyond me. They all promise to add capacity blah, blah, blah, and then they immediately renege on their promises.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
They're really kind of stuck in between on SFO-NRT capacity. One 747's not quite enough for all the NRT connections, but two is arguably too much right now, let alone once HND comes on line.
In the world I see (which is not much), it semes it makes sense to:

- move the 747 to replace a 777 somewhere
- move the 777 to LAX-NRT - C seems to be full a lot, extra lift might help get more paid passengers, route some SFO passengers through LAX
- move the LAX-NRT 787 to something else - maybe LAX-HKG. With a 787, they might be able to make money and also get some new customers

I don't see the numbers and I know the length of the flights are not the same and there are probably fractional differences to be made up. So, it is not as straightforward as this...
Old May 9, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by username
In the world I see (which is not much), it semes it makes sense to:

- move the 747 to replace a 777 somewhere
- move the 777 to LAX-NRT - C seems to be full a lot, extra lift might help get more paid passengers, route some SFO passengers through LAX
- move the LAX-NRT 787 to something else - maybe LAX-HKG. With a 787, they might be able to make money and also get some new customers

I don't see the numbers and I know the length of the flights are not the same and there are probably fractional differences to be made up. So, it is not as straightforward as this...
SEA<>NRT???
Old May 9, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Maybe another Europe route? FRA and LHR all seem to booking well.

I'd say LHR woudl be the only possibility given the timings. Although I suppose things could be worked out with FRA given that ORD is now in the mix for FRA 744's.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors

Hope that doesn't jinx it :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.