Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Gets SFO ↔ Tokyo Haneda Authority - Service starts 26 Oct. 2014.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

Hot off the press... I wonder who else will apply for the Haneda slot pair although the options are clearly limited to the usual suspects.

United Airlines Plans Nonstop Service from San Francisco to Tokyo’s Haneda Airport

United Airlines announced Friday that it had applied to the Department of Transportation for authority to offer nonstop service from San Francisco International Airport to Tokyo International Airport, commonly referred to as Haneda.

The move comes after American Airlines...

<SNIP>
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Already discussed here
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The previous (preliminary) discussion thread has been clsed. Please discuss the application in this thread.

Xyzzy
UA forum moderator
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Since this is a continuation of the previous thread, I'll carry over the quote.

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Won't comment on GMP, but SHA and PVG are both ~45 mins from what is arguably downtown Shanghai. If you're headed to the financial district or traveling by public transit, PVG makes much more sense (proximity and Maglev). In any case, if you're flying from the US, the layover time in HND, NRT, ICN, or anywhere would completely negate any perceived savings from flying to SHA. Then there's the awful condition of SHA, long lines, lack of English speakers (if you don't speak Mandarin), etc.

If your destination is Suzhou, however, it may... no, even that doesn't make sense.
OK, I will concede the fact that it might be a lot easier for me since I speak Mandarin, but I vastly prefer SHA since it definitely feels a lot closer to downtown than PVG (I mean, yeah, you might achieve 45min to downtown from PVG if you use the maglev, but otherwise, not happening). As for Suzhou, it's a 5-minute subway ride from SHA T1 to the train station vs who-knows-how-long from PVG.

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Certainly SHA GMP and TSA are closer and cheaper to the city, but the 'international HND connection' benefit is debatable. It's effectively SFO-HND-SHA vs. SFO-PVG or SFO-HND-GMP vs. SFO-ICN--besides scheduling, direct flights will save you more time, if your destination is city center.
There's also the issue of timing to consider. For example, flying LAX-HND-SHA means being able to leave late at night and arrive at noon, whereas a nonstop would put you there at late afternoon.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
I did TSA-HND-LAX-EWR-BOS (semi mileage run on a return trip from Asia), and found HND to be great me to fly out of Taipei's downtown airport Songshan. Not only is in the center of Taipei, but it's also accessible by the Metro (and the timing of the flights meant being able to spend half a day in Taipei instead of taking a morning flight out of TPE). I would happily connect in HND to be able to access TSA.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I can't think of any downsides to flying out of HND as opposed to NRT. The ANA lounge gets pretty crowded when the bank of US flights goes out, but they keep everything sparkling clean and refreshed.

I flew HND-LAX last month and my gate was right next to the lounge. That's never happened at NRT.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA,DL
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I can't think of any downsides to flying out of HND as opposed to NRT. The ANA lounge gets pretty crowded when the bank of US flights goes out, but they keep everything sparkling clean and refreshed.

I flew HND-LAX last month and my gate was right next to the lounge. That's never happened at NRT.
One downside I can think of is the time-slot restriction meaning that most likely the new flight's schedule is arriving late at night (9:00 PM, etc.) and the flight back to SFO departing at around 6:00 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA G
"Southwest applies for OAK-HND" followed shortly by "UA re-cancels SFO-CDG in response to Southwest's reckless expansion."
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by deltaflyer08
One downside I can think of is the time-slot restriction meaning that most likely the new flight's schedule is arriving late at night (9:00 PM, etc.) and the flight back to SFO departing at around 6:00 AM.
A flight departing HND at 6:00 AM will arrive at SFO late in the night, between 10:00 and 11:30 PM depending on the tailwinds and Daylight Saving Time. It's probably too late to connect to anywhere else in the USA. That kind of schedule is strictly for O/D only.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Oh, that would be a bummer. One of the best reasons for flying into Haneda is the easy connections to All Nippon domestic flights. If the flights from the U.S. get in too late for connections to Japanese cities, and leave too early for connections from Japanese cities, it doesn't improve the connection hassles.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by unavaca
"Southwest applies for OAK-HND" followed shortly by "UA re-cancels SFO-CDG in response to Southwest's reckless expansion."

Except SFO and OAK are not under a single airport authority.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mre5765

Except SFO and OAK are not under a single airport authority.
UA cancels IAD-FRA, IAD-CDG, IAD-LHR, and IAD-LAX due to the reckless expansion of US Airways upgauging DCA-CLT from an A319 to an A320.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
The late arrival isn't horrible but not sure how to make 6am departure work if you plan to take public transportation
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The flight must arrive at HND after 10:00 pm and must depart HND between midnight and 6:59 am. From the west coast, you could depart SFO at 1:00 am, arrive HND about 5:00 am, in time for a full day of business meetings or connections. That would give the ground crew almost two hours to turn the plane for a 6:55 am departure back to SFO, which would mean a very late night arrival at SFO.

Alternatively, you could arrive at HND at 10:00 pm, depart HND about midnight, and arrive back at SFO around 6:00 pm.

The daytime HND slots that will be allocated early next year will be much more desirable.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:13 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The flight must arrive at HND after 10:00 pm and must depart HND between midnight and 6:59 am. From the west coast, you could depart SFO at 1:00 am, arrive HND about 5:00 am, in time for a full day of business meetings or connections. That would give the ground crew almost two hours to turn the plane for a 6:55 am departure back to SFO, which would mean a very late night arrival at SFO.

Alternatively, you could arrive at HND at 10:00 pm, depart HND about midnight, and arrive back at SFO around 6:00 pm.

The daytime HND slots that will be allocated early next year will be much more desirable.
Would it make more sense for UA to hold off applying for HND authority until then? Perhaps any existing HND slot would have no bearing on one's chances of winning the more desirable daytime slots?!

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.