Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Splitting an international award reservation on other Star carriers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat

I am trying to split an international award reservation that I currently have booked. The travel is on TY and LH. Both me and my spouse are currently booked on business and I would like to change myself to coach (I did check and confirmed that award space is available on the flights I want) and leave her in business. I was told by a UA rep that the only way to do this is to cancel the award and book new travel because when you split an international award itinerary when non-UA carriers are involved the award booking is cancelled. Since I have never run into this before, I wanted to confirm with the community that this is indeed accurate.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would say it is accurate.

I would recommend booking your new flight first.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
That has been my experience so I always book two separate tickets when traveling with my spouse.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Appreciate the responses - lesson learned - book two separate reservations from now on!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
I split a PNR about a week ago on a non UA international award itinerary with no problems. Changed ticket was reissued and original PNR tickets were not cancelled. I check on all PNRs religiously to avoid problems at the airport (confirmation with metal airline, etc.)
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by planeluvr
I split a PNR about a week ago on a non UA international award itinerary with no problems. Changed ticket was reissued and original PNR tickets were not cancelled. I check on all PNRs religiously to avoid problems at the airport.
Did you call or did you do it online? I receive an error when I do it online directing me to call UA.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Did you call or did you do it online? I receive an error when I do it online directing me to call UA.
I call because online will bugger this reservation.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by planeluvr
I call because online will bugger this reservation.
On the phone with United.com support and am being told they are not allowed to split international award itineraries when other Star carriers are involved... PM UA Insider?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:44 am

On the phone with United.com support and am being told they are not allowed to split international award itineraries when other Star carriers are involved... PM UA Insider?
Well UA did it last week because I had 3 on one PNR and I changed my ticket on LH from C to F and left the other 2 in C.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
HUACA

I just did it this week, on an all-*A itin, in the middle of the trip (outbound already flown). There's no handly "separate traveler" link like there is on UA metal reservations - what you need to do is:

1. go to "change flights"
2. select only the passengers you want to split off
3. try to change to new flights (in my case, the site bombed as usual, gave me an error message...but the new PNR was still created).
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
HUACA

I just did it this week, on an all-*A itin, in the middle of the trip (outbound already flown). There's no handly "separate traveler" link like there is on UA metal reservations - what you need to do is:

1. go to "change flights"
2. select only the passengers you want to split off
3. try to change to new flights (in my case, the site bombed as usual, gave me an error message...but the new PNR was still created).
I ended up calling Premier Desk. After having me on hold for about an hour, they "recommended" that I cancel the entire itinerary and rebook the flights (they were still not able to split the reservation for some reason). Since my trip is still pretty far out and some availability will surely pop up, I opted for this option since UA offered to waive the redeposit fee.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I ended up calling Premier Desk. After having me on hold for about an hour, they "recommended" that I cancel the entire itinerary and rebook the flights (they were still not able to split the reservation for some reason). Since my trip is still pretty far out and some availability will surely pop up, I opted for this option since UA offered to waive the redeposit fee.
Seems fair.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPG3392
Seems fair.
I thoughts so too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.