Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

only one ticket left at fare class but need 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

only one ticket left at fare class but need 2

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by steveo
thanks everyone. What I did was buy one ticket yesterday, checked again today and they released another ticket this morning with the K fare, costing one dollar less than the ticket I bought yesterday. Should I call up and complain to get my one dollar back?

A more serious question though. We're now on different PRNs, I am a 100 K while she has no status. Obviously this will create a situation where I'll most likely be upgraded to first while she'll be stuck in the back of the plane with the scraps. If I call the 100k line do you think I can get them to combine them?

thanks again
On what grounds would you complain to get "your" dollar back? Airlines change fares all the time, even within the same fare class, and even if they have the same fare code (and even with another K class ticket opening, it might not be the same fare code). Sometimes, you can even be in a higher fare class then someone else, but still have paid less. I'd be happy that another seat opened up in the lower fare class and you were able to grab it, and end it there.

PNRs can not be combined. You can, however, add her as your companion at the airport, and assuming other 1Ks have been upgraded already, she should go to the top of the list (because her place on the list will be based on your status).

Originally Posted by mre5765
PNRs cannot be combined.
And even once under one PNR, the reservation is likely to be auto split anyway.
I think the word "likely" is a little strong. I'm not saying it hasn't happened before - based on reports here, obviously it has - but not something I would worry about. Personally, I have never had an itinerary auto-split on dozens of itineraries with a companion - I've only split it on my own at check in (when we haven't been upgraded, and I've opted to add us to the upgrade standby list), or once when a (contracted) agent did it on check in at CVG.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by steveo
thanks everyone. What I did was buy one ticket yesterday, checked again today and they released another ticket this morning with the K fare, costing one dollar less than the ticket I bought yesterday. Should I call up and complain to get my one dollar back?
Your best bet, at this point, would be to cancel the first ticket, if you are still w/i the 24 hour cancellation window. Then you can repurchase a new ticket (like you managed to do later) for $1.00 less, and this would eliminate any need to call and complain that they sold 2 - "K - fares" at different prices. @:-)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
You might try simultaneous but separate windows; booking one ticket on .bomb and another on Orbitz. Try and hit the purchase buttons as close to simultaneous as possible. I recall this working for me in the single remaining ticket scenario a couple years back, but it might have been on US.
Old thread, but this worked today. Needed 4 tickets, only 2 were available at price. Did 2 bookings, each for 2 tickets, one on phone other on computer, clicked purchase simultaneously, got all 4 tickets for the lower price.
Jaimito Cartero and NY-FLA like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Old thread, but this worked today. Needed 4 tickets, only 2 were available at price. Did 2 bookings, each for 2 tickets, one on phone other on computer, clicked purchase simultaneously, got all 4 tickets for the lower price.
Interesting... If only this worked for partner award tickets too (it doesn't, I tried) lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.