Wiki Posts
Search

Not eligible for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental
Not eligible for upgrade

Searching flights with gpu available from sfo to FRA. I see flights with both W fare and R available.
However website says not eligible for upgrade!
​​​​​
​​​
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:00 pm

Someone reported this bug last week. Seems to render entire itineraries not upgradable during booking when one or more segments are not eligible (e.g. partner airline or single cabin).
If you buy the ticket in coach first, you can still upgrade it afterward. This issue appears related to only booking.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Someone reported this bug last week. Seems to render entire itineraries not upgradable during booking when one or more segments are not eligible (e.g. partner airline or single cabin).
If you buy the ticket in coach first, you can still upgrade it afterward. This issue appears related to only booking.
i had this problem, too. The website will not show you or allow you to book the GPU-eligible fare.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Searching flights with gpu available from sfo to FRA. I see flights with both W fare and R available.
However website says not eligible for upgrade!
Any partner flights on the itin?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Any partner flights on the itin?
There were partner flights on my itinerary.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
I had this problem this week. If partner flight is involved, you have to multi-city it...AND I had to buy some of inter Europe flights directly on LH. Hubby's flights I had to book as follows: IAD-FRA//MRS-FRA-IAD, with FRA-SOF RT and FRA-VCE on LH as the intra-Europe costs were over $2k more on UA (vs. $300 on LH). Further, I couldn't book MRS-IAD (on the same flights via FRA) as it kept saying "not eligible for upgrade." I had to multi-city it. My flights had to be booked IAD-BRU-VCE//MRS-FRA-IAD instead of IAD-VCE//MRS-IAD as I kept getting the same thing..."not eligible for upgrade" even though W/V fares were available. It wouldn't show me the fares. Someone said to just book W fares and then call to add the GPUs.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:18 pm

Could these be the new W-LGT fares, which are not eligible for upgrade? Perhaps WIP on the site.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:49 pm

I tried it by searching by fare class (W) instead of GPU-eligible, and it worked. I'm thinking this may just be a bug, and not a conspiracy.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by br2k
Could these be the new W-LGT fares, which are not eligible for upgrade? Perhaps WIP on the site.
Not likely, since the search was already set to look for upgradeable fares.

Originally Posted by SS255
I tried it by searching by fare class (W) instead of GPU-eligible, and it worked. I'm thinking this may just be a bug, and not a conspiracy.
I agree. It's a long-standing issue that only appears if you use the specific "search for upgradeable flights" option in advanced search. If you search by fare class, and then apply the instrument immediately after ticketing, it works fine. It's nothing but a display error. Although here, one should note that some W fares ex-Canada and ex-EU are now Light (and hence non-upgradeable). You'd need to make sure you bought the regular (non-"light") W fare, or a V fare or higher, when your travel starts from one of these locations.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I just tried to book FRA-IAD-CHS using a MP UG for a flight in Jan 2019. FRA-IAD leg is showing R9/RN9 and yet it said “upgrade not available.” Deleted the CHS leg and the FRA-IAD leg UG appeared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.