Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Better to Change Before or After First Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:58 am
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat

I have an upcoming trip to Asia...

I'm upgraded to business on the return and a paid P class on the outbound. I'm still taking my original outbound flight, I just need to come home 2-3 days earlier than planned.

I know of the change fees, and am fine with that, but is there any incentive for me making the changes now versus after I'm already in China? (I can call the US 1K line through Skype, so agents aren't an issue).

If I wait until a day or two before, I know I'm more likely to find R availability again.

FWIW, dummy bookings of 1-way fares price out about the same if I book 2 weeks ahead or if I book 2 days ahead. (Based on history, I know that loads can change those numbers if W or V sells out sooner).

Any thoughts as to strategy would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would think before the flight, you could reprice the entire ticket as an RT, which has to be cheaper than paying for the RT initially and then the 1-way?

(On the assumption that international one-ways are not half of the RT price).
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's usually cheaper to change once you've begun travel because they do not reprice the entire ticket. Unless of course there's nothing but Y/B left, in which case you're going to upfare signicantly. So part of your calculus has to be fare class availability. How's it look?

Apart from that, to me the upgrade availability would be the main issue. That's going to be heavily dependent on the specific itinerary (and your willingness possibly to change routings to snag R). So there's not going to be one "correct" answer here in the abstract.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:59 am
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's usually cheaper to change once you've begun travel because they do not reprice the entire ticket. Unless of course there's nothing but Y/B left, in which case you're going to upfare signicantly. So part of your calculus has to be fare class availability. How's it look?

Apart from that, to me the upgrade availability would be the main issue. That's going to be heavily dependent on the specific itinerary (and your willingness possibly to change routings to snag R). So there's not going to be one "correct" answer here in the abstract.
I'm flexible enough that I can fluctuate by a day either way, and can plan this 3-4 days ahead once I'm over there...And the fact I can go from HKG, PEK or PVG (and if I have to, ICN, KIX or NRT) and can use any hub as my entry point, so I probably have 15-20 flights to choose from over 2 days. I'll be in a non-UA city and can either buy a cheap ticket to get to the gateway or even use miles--there's tons of availability on Air China within China or other partners to ICN, KIX or NRT.

In addition, there are many flights that are rather wide open in Y (and even J) on the dates I want to go.

While I do have 2 conflicting schools of thought above, I had thought about both of these, just not sure which one is correct. Thank you both so far for the input!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Provided that a) you are not making any changes to the outbound, b) that both your outbound and return are on the same ticket, and c) your new return qualifies for the same fare as your old one, then there is no disadvantage to making the change now as it will reprice using the same logic in both of the scenarios you describe but you may have access to better inventory today. If not, you should probably wait. If you wait, you may also get a fee-free change due to a schedule change or IRROPS.

Last edited by Sykes; Oct 10, 2013 at 10:54 am Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:28 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The risk here is the P fare on the outboard may no longer be available, and you'll need to reprice the entire itinerary if you make the change before taking the first leg. In this case, I would wait and change after travel has begun.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:40 am
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
The risk here is the P fare on the outboard may no longer be available, and you'll need to reprice the entire itinerary if you make the change before taking the first leg. In this case, I would wait and change after travel has begun.
This is exactly the case! I typed the original post as I was on hold (it was a 45 minute call to find out my net cost after the change fee). There is no longer a P fare available.

The agent eventually came back and said, "You're not going to want to change...It's asking for an add/collect of $9,000.

Sorry to bother y'all, but thanks for the comments...Maybe I can serve as an example for future situations like this!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:53 am

Provided that there is no change to the "P" fare portion of the ticket AND your new return qualifies for the same fare as the original return (same booking code, same restrictions, etc.), the following rule applies (standard on most UA fares):
Code:
     REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED         
     PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-          
     1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON                          
     2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL            
     MUST BE DOMESTIC                                           
     3. UA FARES ARE USED                                       
     4. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN            
     PUBLIC TARIFF. PRIVATE FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED          
     FARE IS IN PRIVATE TARIFF                                  
     5. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN PREVIOUS         
     TKT                                                        
     6. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET            
     7. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO           
     DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
Speaking from personal experience, generally the website prices these types of changes correctly, but it usually takes some work to get a UA agent on the phone to price the change correctly.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:07 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Sykes
Provided that there is no change to the "P" fare portion of the ticket AND your new return qualifies for the same fare as the original return (same booking code, same restrictions, etc.), the following rule applies (standard on most UA fares):
Code:
     REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED         
     PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-          
     1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON                          
     2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL            
     MUST BE DOMESTIC                                           
     3. UA FARES ARE USED                                       
     4. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN            
     PUBLIC TARIFF. PRIVATE FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED          
     FARE IS IN PRIVATE TARIFF                                  
     5. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN PREVIOUS         
     TKT                                                        
     6. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET            
     7. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO           
     DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
Speaking from personal experience, generally the website prices these types of changes correctly, but it usually takes some work to get a UA agent on the phone to price the change correctly.
Oh yes - forgot about this new provision in the fare rule. However, since OP is travelling internationally, he would not have met condition #2 and have to reprice the entire itinerary.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:13 am

Oh yes - forgot about this new provision in the fare rule. However, since OP is travelling internationally, he would not have met condition #2 and have to reprice the entire itinerary.
Nah, #2 just says that if you're flying on an international ticket, if you only have domestic coupons left (e.g. you fly SMF-LAX-PVG-SFO-SMF, and try to change the ticket while you're sitting in SFO, then all of the rest of the ticket must remain domestic).
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sykes
Nah, #2 just says that if you're flying on an international ticket, if you only have domestic coupons left (e.g. you fly SMF-LAX-PVG-SFO-SMF, and try to change the ticket while you're sitting in SFO, then all of the rest of the ticket must remain domestic).
Thank you for the explanation and the example. Even though I'm bumping an old thread, I finally found the meaning of "WHEN NO INTERNATIONAL COUPONS REMAIN, ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC". I'm typing it out explicitly so that others searching here or on Google can find it easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.