Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partner Award - New Schedule = Misconnect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

If on a UA mileage award using a partner airline on a saver reward, if the partner airline changes its schedule to create an unflyable misconnect - what are my options?

First call was fruitless as all the Xmas flights are now booked (on saver), but there are a few on standard-reward level for UA. I was hoping to use the partner, but in this case, I'll settle should I get a seat on UA.

Any experiences here? They have offered a refund, but I thought at minimum they'd offer me a seat on UA. My stretch-goal is to get booked on another partner, but that may not be realistic (as only standard awards exist now as well).

THX
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
What is your origin/ destination? Are they cities UA flies to on its own metal? (From your post, I assume so). In the past, UA has opened award space on its own flights in these situations.

What class of service?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

YYZ-SAL-GUA on Taca was the rez.

YYZ-PTY-GUA on Copa would be my next best choice

If not, then YYZ - NYC/IAH-GUA on UA.

Unfortunately in Y.

Any chance on the Copa route? If not - is it a matter of calling back to get on the UA flight?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
In late January I booked 2x PEK-NRT-ORD with NRT-ORD on ANA in business at the end of July. Well a month or so later, they canceled that flight as it was a new flight and they needed the plane due to the 787 fiasco. The first call to United they had ANA open up space for me on NRT-LAX, but wouldn't put me on the first LAX-ORD flight (no saver space), and I would be arriving in ORD around midnight.

I called back a week later and the agent I got then put me on hold and spoke to revenue management. They opened up two saver seats on NRT-ORD on UA in business. I thought of asking them to just open up PEK-ORD on UA but didn't want to push my luck (I ended up routing through FRA on CA and LH).

I would say just call again. I don't have any status btw.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
When schedule changes cause misconnects, I've found agents to be very accommodating. I actually just had a schedule change (all on UA metal to be fair) that pushed my flights 2 1/2 hours later planned. They happily opened saver space (XN) on the exact itinerary I wanted.

Just one point...partner airlines (although I'm not so sure about Copa) don't have the saver/standard dichotomy. They either have award space or they don't.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You will be rerouted on

a) any routing you want on partners given award space is available
b) UA only routing, where they will force open award availability
c) combo of a) and b)

It is possible, but highly unlikely, they will ask a partner to open up award space.

Press for them to at least open up space on UA.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would suspect your best chance is YYZ-IAH/EWR-GUA.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Well.. it took me that second phone call (and 90 minutes!!) to get on UA through IAH.

I didn't press on a partner, but when we were looking at options, she seemed to be OK in adding an AC leg (but the timing sucked). I opted for an all UA-itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.