Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United SFO Family Day - October 13th, 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United SFO Family Day - October 13th, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Hope I make it in. Regardless anyone want to meet afterwards for a mini-DO?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

What flights are you going to be on, Aaron? Several of us travelled with Shannon and Carlos on previous Family Days.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Aaron,

Thank you for providing this invitation for another year. This will be the first I have missed in many years - thankfully because I am traveling (and of course on United!!).

Please keep FTers in mind in future years. I think you can tell how much we all appreciate this generous offer.

Sorry not to be there

Lurker
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Premier
Thank you for the invite, Mr. Goldberg!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:08 am

Thank you so much for the invitation. Email sent.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by CDKing
Is there a way to skip out early? The only saver award i could find to BOS was 4PM. Now to figure out what to do with my bag since i cant check it in before the event starts. Hopefully i will be accepted.
You can come and go as you please -- last year, there was a continuous shuttle between the Family Day and Terminal 3.

Why can't you check in and check your bag before the event? It seems the best way to go would be to get there a bit early, check in, leave your bag, and then take the shuttle over to the event from T3...
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by danM
Why can't you check in and check your bag before the event? It seems the best way to go would be to get there a bit early, check in, leave your bag, and then take the shuttle over to the event from T3...
I thought 4 hours was the earliest one could check a bag before a flight?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by goalie
You did far from embarrass yourself or Flyertalk as not only did your take the reins and put the team together last year, you made it a Four-peat Championship ^. Now if there is a plane pull this year, the pressure of embarrassment is all on me
Aw shucks

You have this handled in Tootsie Pops alone Besides, we are not competing against the Blue Angels this year - much to my chagrin but definitely plays in our favor for a 5-Peat! Let's get confirmation that it's still on and form a team.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:17 pm

I thought 4 hours was the earliest one could check a bag before a flight?
??? ... i've checked in a bag in the early morning for an evening flight before. I never heard of such restrictions.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:41 am
mp2

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
Email sent. Can't wait.. Fingers crossed ;-)
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcho
??? ... i've checked in a bag in the early morning for an evening flight before. I never heard of such restrictions.
I just found the information on united's site. Although it says generally so its airport dependant. I think its trying to say if desk opens more than 4 hours they can be checked before.

Originally Posted by United.com
For flights within the U.S., as well as most international flights, baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before scheduled flight departure, although this policy varies by airport and based on daily check-in counter hours.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:41 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Update

Hi everyone,

As promised, today’s the day we will begin sending confirmations for Family Day. We received record interest in this year’s event (which we love to see) but that also means we will have a lengthy “standby” list. Please bear with us as we work through the confirmation process so that we ensure our entire allotment of wristbands can be used next Sunday.

The UA Insider team will be working the check-in station for Family Day—we’re looking forward to seeing many of you there!

A couple more in-progress answers/updates for the questions posed here:

Originally Posted by goalie
...do you know if there will be a plane pill contest as in year's past?[/B]
There will indeed! We'll have more info at the check-in desk.

Originally Posted by SQ Flyer Talker
Any idea of whether UA will have its 787 as one of the aircraft static display?
There will be static displays, however aircraft are as yet unconfirmed--will report back where when they are.

Is there a way to skip out early? The only saver award i could find to BOS was 4PM. Now to figure out what to do with my bag since i cant check it in before the event starts. Hopefully i will be accepted.
The event runs from 11:00a through 4:30p, and entry will be in the same location as previous years (logistics to be provided in follow-up emails to confirmed members). If you get there at the opening of the event you'll be able to leave at your leisure with time to get back to the terminal.

With regard to baggage check-in, the official policy is at most four hours, however as others have mentioned that can vary on a case-by-case basis. While I cannot guarantee that your bag will be accepted for check-in more than four hours before your flight, generally the >4 exceptions apply to airports which have more-or-less continuous operation during the day, of which SFO is certainly an example.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As promised, today’s the day we will begin sending confirmations for Family Day. We received record interest in this year’s event (which we love to see) but that also means we will have a lengthy “standby” list. Please bear with us as we work through the confirmation process so that we ensure our entire allotment of wristbands can be used next Sunday.
Hi Aaron -- I sent an e-mail early on, but since then things have changed and I won't be able to make it if I'm selected. What's the best thing to do (what's simplest for you?) -- send a follow-up e-mail letting you know this, or just wait to see if I get an invitation and reply then?

Regardless, I"m bummed to miss it. My son still talks about going to see "Daddy help pull an airplane"... :-) Hopefully next year!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danM
or just wait to see if I get an invitation and reply then?
Im not going so this also my plan, to wait for an email and then decline via email if I get chosen
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:32 pm

Remember if you end up low on the waitlist but still really want to go then there are a few spots left in the SFO Mini-DO!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...12-2013-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.