Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can i increase my layover from 1 and hal hour to 25 and half hours in FRA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

I am booking flights for DEL SFO DEL that am due to fly in February 2014 and see some options such as, DEL FRA, FRA ORD, ORD SFO. I have never been to germany and thinking taking a visitor visa and spending a day in FRA. Is it possible to just book a flight so i can have a complete day in FRA without having to book seprate tickets (to avoid extra costs)

i figure since i travel 2-3 times a year between DEL SFO, this can be a easy way to travel to new destinations for free.

possible?

oh by the way, silver with UA
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:26 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by mohitmadaan
I am booking flights for DEL SFO DEL that am due to fly in February 2014 and see some options such as, DEL FRA, FRA ORD, ORD SFO. I have never been to germany and thinking taking a visitor visa and spending a day in FRA. Is it possible to just book a flight so i can have a complete day in FRA without having to book seprate tickets (to avoid extra costs)

i figure since i travel 2-3 times a year between DEL SFO, this can be a easy way to travel to new destinations for free.

possible?

No, but you can book 23.5 hours - so take the earlier flight out the next morning.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The max layover for international flights is 24 hours. Longer than that will cause it to fare as separate flights.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Depends on the fare rules. Many fares filed for India-US offer stopovers for a marginal fee.

Another option is double connecting - fly (for example) DEL-VIE, 23 hour layover, then VIE-FRA-SFO. Intra-Europe flights are frequent, so it should be possible to time the layover almost exactly.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by mohitmadaan

possible?

If you are able to do this, I recommend staying in Mainz rather than Frankfurt. FRA is between the two cities, roughly equidistant from both. The S-Bahn (Metro) runs in both directions. Mainz is very attractive--old city, cathedral, Gutenberg Bible etc. Frankfurt is more of a modern business center.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Depends on the fare rules. Many fares filed for India-US offer stopovers for a marginal fee.

Another option is double connecting - fly (for example) DEL-VIE, 23 hour layover, then VIE-FRA-SFO. Intra-Europe flights are frequent, so it should be possible to time the layover almost exactly.
And Vienna is a much more interesting city than Frankfurt. Or do similar with MUC - again, Munich is much more interesting.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:26 am

In relation to this question, if you're only allowed 23.5 hrs without charge - what happens if your connection is delayed and you end up staying longer than 24 hours? I assume it would not lead to additional charges, due to it not being within the pax control, but just curious.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chancensam
In relation to this question, if you're only allowed 23.5 hrs without charge - what happens if your connection is delayed and you end up staying longer than 24 hours? I assume it would not lead to additional charges, due to it not being within the pax control, but just curious.
The 24 hour connection rule is based on scheduled time.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:04 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Exactly--we're flying to Croatia next week, with a ~60 hour stopover in FRA to visit some friends. The stopover was only a marginal fee (under $100 IIRC), whereas a fare break would have made about a $350 difference when we booked.

OTOH, I've tried to get stopovers to price out in Japan a few times on the way to SE Asia, and always end up with ridiculous prices (clearly breaking the fare); I didn't bother to dig into the rules to see for sure if they permitted a stopover and if it was worth calling to book, though.

Originally Posted by Chancensam
No problem there.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I booked a "B" fare LAX-IST last year. One way about $1250. Had a three week stopover in LHR. No extra cost. One of the cheapest ways to get to LHR, earning bonus miles along the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.