FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1498894-united-club-changes-drinks-wifi-sept-oct-2013-a.html)

fivesixseven Aug 31, 2013 2:47 am

Originally Posted by drowelf (Post 21366198)
And how the multiple device access work, is a really question. Can we get UAInsider to offer up a comment on this.

For me multiple device access is also a big thing, as I guess it is for most business travellers.

nevansm Aug 31, 2013 4:55 am

No word from UA Insider with clarification, I'm going negative on this one.

DawgmanOH Aug 31, 2013 6:11 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 21366443)
Look at the overpriced 'Luxury Bar' at Delta and that's what we could be getting. Can go to a nice airport restaurant and get those prices with better atmosphere.

While UC (and DL) have done their best to make the clubs a worse experience, most airports in the US have done a great job upping the quality of their bars / restaurants. In addition, free wifi is the norm in many major airports.

I can set up at the bar at Great Lakes in Cleveland, have some killer beers and enjoy some good food instead of going to the UC.

I can go to Pappadeaux's in IAH and have some great seafood.

I can go to LAX and.....ummmm.....ok, so it would be nice to have some better dining at LAX (at least IMHO).

Point being, paying for the club is no longer the no brainer it was 5 - 10 years ago. Amenities have been cut and, as a 1K, being on phone is easier than dealing with the club in IRROPS.

fivesixseven Aug 31, 2013 7:37 am

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 21364549)
It's news released on Friday... so it must be bad! :D

What would be strategic about releasing bad news on a Friday?

Portolan Aug 31, 2013 7:45 am

this...

Originally Posted by fivesixseven (Post 21367545)
What would be strategic about releasing bad news on a Friday?

Multiple days (especially with Monday holiday) for it to become old news for the media.

Everybody does this for bad news.

hobo13 Aug 31, 2013 9:10 am

On the plus side, I guess my stack of 50+ T-mobile cards might once again have some value......

and THIS is why I never throw things away.... do NOT judge me! :D

businesstraveller2 Aug 31, 2013 9:42 am

Originally Posted by jmd001 (Post 21364653)
I wonder if a Margarita will become a premium drink. As long as you don't ask for a specific/premium tequila, it has not been.

This is often my drink of choice so I hope it stays free.

When the UC used to have login it sometimes took forever for the server to process the login (especially at LAX - it was very frustrating and I often could not get on if the stay was short). I really hope they don't go back to an authentication service that is slow an unwieldly.

Does anyone know what is going on with the snacks? I have recently seen yogurt covered raisins in DEN, chocolate raisins at SFO and no covered raisins at LAX (just salty snacks). I miss the Gorp type/M&M snacks although I seem to remember seeing them recently somewhere - maybe ORD or somewhere else? I'm really glad they shut down the covered pretzels. But it seems the dry snacks have a huge variability wondering if they are going to settle on something or if it is just up to the local clubs. Happy they have kept the baby carrots.

worldtrav Aug 31, 2013 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jmd001 (Post 21364653)
I wonder if a Margarita will become a premium drink. As long as you don't ask for a specific/premium tequila, it has not been.

I was once told by a SFO club bartender that a Margarita was not included in the complimentary offerings because it contained too much liquor. I advised him that was not true but he stood his ground. A supervisor had to be called to provide him with "training".

globetrots Aug 31, 2013 10:12 am

What they've been serving the last few I've been in has been swill anyway - horrid light beers and bottom shelf of the supermarket wine. So my guess is it'll be one terrible beer choice, one terrible wine choice, and well liquor brands you'd be embarrassed for others to see in your own liquor cabinet.

It just keeps getting worse and worse. Sure do miss Continental.

dulcamara Aug 31, 2013 10:29 am

The booze and open wireless were two things PMCO did right. I guess Jeff is always on the lookout for bad ideas, so he took a couple from PMUA and DL.

I hope he leaves the premium wine selections alone.

Spinky Aug 31, 2013 11:03 am

Every liquor that is free will now cost $$. I heard the Smirroff will be 8 and Grey Goose goes to 11 and I think the well will be Popov or something worst. They will charge for beer except for Bud lite. This is my last year, they can keep it, I would rather spend the dues at a place I could get food with a drink. Thanks Jeff for changes we don't like.

Baze Aug 31, 2013 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Spinky (Post 21368273)
Every liquor that is free will now cost $$. I heard the Smirroff will be 8 and Grey Goose goes to 11 and I think the well will be Popov or something worst. They will charge for beer except for Bud lite. This is my last year, they can keep it, I would rather spend the dues at a place I could get food with a drink. Thanks Jeff for changes we don't like.

Do you have any kind of a source to backup these claims?

Acornragazzo Aug 31, 2013 1:59 pm

I've also never had any problems using the Wi-Fi at UC in PHX, LAX, SFO, IAH, ORD, IAD or EWR. I'm not saying it's the fastest connection I've ever had but it doesn VoIP decently well in my experience.

gradsflyer Aug 31, 2013 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH (Post 21367340)
I can go to LAX and.....ummmm.....ok, so it would be nice to have some better dining at LAX (at least IMHO).

From the plans and announcements it looks like the amenities and dinning in the new international terminal at LAX will be quite impressive when it opens.

hungarianhc Aug 31, 2013 2:12 pm

Geez. This is really awful. One of the few really nice things I enjoyed about my United Club membership is that when going on a vacation, I could grab a good Sierra Nevada @ the SFO United Club. Such a bummer... My membership prices have gone up, but every year the food there gets worse and now they are limiting my beer selection to just coors light. I almost wish they'd jack the price up $200 per member and give free hot food and make all the alcohol free. I need like 50K more miles to get a million miles, but perhaps after that, I'll switch to another carrier.