FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1498894-united-club-changes-drinks-wifi-sept-oct-2013-a.html)

NDtraveler Aug 30, 2013 1:26 pm

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

I just got this e-mail and didn't see it posted... I can't get the images to post but it does show how the wifi will work. You need to enter in your mileage plus number

We’re working hard to make
United Club even better

As part of our ongoing efforts to improve your United Club experience, we're investing more than $50 million into our United Club program. In addition to major renovations at several of our clubs, we're also making some small but important changes across key locations.

Expanded beverage program
We're adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products available for purchase, while maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines at our U.S. United Club locations. Beginning September 10, be sure to try regional and local favorites as well as other new items from our expanded beverage menu.

Wi-Fi authentication
To upgrade the overall quality and exclusivity of our Wi-Fi service, we are rolling out an authentication process for accessing Wi-Fi at our United Club locations in the U.S. We plan to start in Cleveland on September 5, San Francisco on September 19, and have the process in place at all U.S. locations by October 1.

Renard Aug 30, 2013 1:28 pm

I just got that too.... my guess is that this signals the liquor downgrades that have been rumored. Expanded means... what was free now costs and we have new well liquors that will be free. More = expanded. More changes we'll love I'm sure... the kind of changes we've come to expect from the new United :rolleyes:

JAaronT Aug 30, 2013 1:28 pm

From today's "We're investing in your United Club experience" e-mail:

We're adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products available for purchase, while maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines at our U.S. United Club locations. Beginning September 10, be sure to try regional and local favorites as well as other new items from our expanded beverage menu.
I interpret "maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines" to mean the cheapest they can find.

Duke787 Aug 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Just got that too I assume this part:

"We're adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products available for purchase, while maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines at our U.S. United Club locations. Beginning September 10, be sure to try regional and local favorites as well as other new items from our expanded beverage menu."

Is confirmation of what was rumored that the selection will be watered down and anything decent will be moved to premium purchase level

fragment54 Aug 30, 2013 1:28 pm

United's wording here about upgrading drinks (when everyone on this forum is aware that it is actually a MAJOR downgrade) is straight up deceptive. This company continues to find new ways to look sleazy.

jnb_tx Aug 30, 2013 1:29 pm

yea, notice they said "maintaining A selection of complimentary beers, etc." not the same selection.

downright despicable marketing practice and intentionally misleading language.

Baze Aug 30, 2013 1:30 pm

I just got it too and it said thanks for being a member, I am not a member of the club. Was long time ago but haven't been since 2010.

nevansm Aug 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Just got this too and of course the wording and interpretation are very loose. I'm not convinced we'll still see brand name liquor in the well on September 10th. We'll find out!

atiger29 Aug 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by NDtraveler (Post 21364421)

I'm not sure how much they can expand on what they already have. This may be the nail in the coffin for my membership.

QBK Aug 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Looks like the rumor was based in truth; I just got an email (subject: "We're investing in your United Club experience")

The obvious Orwellian interpretation is:
1. "We're investing in your United Club experience" ==> "Our stockholders can expected higher returns from your United Club experience!"
2. "We're adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products" ==> "Most of the things that used to be complimentary will now cost money!"

Also, note the nice wording of "...while maintaining a selection of complimentary..."? (Bolding mine).

Just in the interest of trying not to be cynical... if this means the introduction of "premium" beers, i.e. good craft brews, then it's not entirely bad. Except that I have to assume that Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Honker, etc. will be removed from the complimentary menu.

Grrrr. Okay, I failed to not be cynical.

UA-NYC Aug 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Looks like they're going back to PMUA-style login verification too ^

controller1 Aug 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by nevansm (Post 21364450)
Just got this too and of course the wording and interpretation are very loose. I'm not convinced we'll still see brand name liquor in the well on September 10th. We'll find out!

If it's more than $5/gallon, it will be classified as PREMIUM!

atiger29 Aug 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by QBK (Post 21364459)
Just in the interest of trying not to be cynical... if this means the introduction of "premium" beers, i.e. good craft brews, then it's not entirely bad. Except that I have to assume that Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Honker, etc. will be removed from the complimentary menu.

Grrrr. Okay, I failed to not be cynical.

One can always hope. Most times I'm cynical before I get on a plane. If the flight is delayed then it's normal. If it's on-time then I'm surprised. The United Club was typically where I felt would be the same. Maybe not now.

salesna Aug 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by JAaronT (Post 21364435)
From today's "We're investing in your United Club experience" e-mail:

I interpret "maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines" to mean the cheapest they can find.

Just got the email too. By "adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products available for purchase", I assume they mean "the stuff that used to be on the house now costs money."

To describe the downgrading of complimentary drinks as an "invest[ment]" and "improve[ment]" is positively Orwellian.

littlegreenmen Aug 30, 2013 1:36 pm

"...maintaining _a_ selection of..." /me thinks this is a hint that the comp. selection is going to change, and probably not in a way that I am going to like.

controller1 Aug 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Question: Will I be able to have more than one device connected to WiFi at a time?

cerealmarketer Aug 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Such a great change it's announced the Friday before Labor Day.

And no specifics on what the beverage additions / deletions are.

Not a fan of having to login to Wifi now. Poaching wasn't the big issue - clubs handling more people than the Wifi was expected to handle are.

Feel bad for Star Golds who now will have to fish for some card or other cumbersome login.

docbert Aug 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 21364499)
Question: Will I be able to have more than one device connected to WiFi at a time?

Probably. But even if you can't there'll have to be some system for non-UC members (eg, *Gold) that you can likely piggy-back off. Whether that'll be the old scratch-cards or something else I suppose we'll have to wait and see...

electroflyer Aug 30, 2013 1:44 pm

So, I now have to give my kid my United MP login info if my kid wants to browse the web on his Android tablet in the club?

I now have to give my non-club-member work colleague who I guested into the club on a work trip my MP login info if he wants to connect to the web on his laptop?

Very convenient.

exerda Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Improvement on the wi-fi end, yes.

Not so sure on the drink end; I suspect the rumors will be proven true, and "expanded" means "anything drinkable will be 'premium' now, and the free stuff will be total swill."

MBS MillionMiler Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Given the 3:30PM (ET) announcement on the Friday of a holiday weekend, I think one can assume that our oracles were right about the downgraded booze selection!

edcho Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 21364546)
Improvement on the wi-fi end, yes.

Not so sure on the drink end; I suspect the rumors will be proven true, and "expanded" means "anything drinkable will be 'premium' now, and the free stuff will be total swill."

It's news released on Friday... so it must be bad! :D

Baze Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by electroflyer (Post 21364530)
So, I now have to give my kid my United MP login info if my kid wants to browse the web on his Android tablet in the club?

I now have to give my non-club-member work colleague who I guested into the club on a work trip my MP login info if he wants to connect to the web on his laptop?

Very convenient.

Nobody says you have to. It is your choice if you want to give them that information if there is no other way to log on.

MatthewLAX Aug 30, 2013 1:48 pm

I gain access to the club via Star Gold status and I really don't like the login internet requirement. Not cool if we have to start scratching those T-Mobile cards again...

Internet now is great. People complain it's slow, but in EWR/ORD/SFO/LAX/PHL it works just fine for me and it is great not having to login or have an annoying pop up or landing page.

jmd001 Aug 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 21364460)
Looks like they're going back to PMUA-style login verification too ^

As I recollect, with PMUA, it was just your MP number (UserID) that you had to input (no password or PIN). Now, one also will have to input one's PIN as well. :td:

I can understand UC's desire to prevent "theft" is its WiFi connection by non-members, but I think it can be minimized to an acceptable level by requiring ONLY the MP UserID. Requiring the PIN to be transmitted in an airport environment presents a security risk to the member, one I would rather not open myself up to.

enki Aug 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by electroflyer (Post 21364530)

Very convenient.

I agree with others that there will be a return to a card/scratch-off mechanism for guested or *G visitors. Inconvenient, but I don't think it's the end of the world.

I'm also willing to reserve my judgment about the selection of free offerings until after the new beverages roll out. That said, I'm not going in with any level of confidence that it'll be the same or better. I'd love to be surprised. I expect that I won't.

entropy Aug 30, 2013 1:53 pm

"We're adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products available for purchase, while maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines at our U.S. United Club locations. Beginning September 10, be sure to try regional and local favorites as well as other new items from our expanded beverage menu."

Adding= stuff that was free, is now "premium", whip out your favorite chase card...

a selection= Popov Vodka and Bathtub gin! Bud light and PBR on tap. Carlo Rossi blush and red available too!

disgraceful.

LilAbner Aug 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 21364499)

Used to have to go to the front desk to get a scratch off for additional access.
Unk what's the new log-in idea for more than one?:confused:

salesna Aug 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Those of us who emailed United about the rumor, and were told it was false, have good reason to be upset. If the assurances we received weren't outright lies, they were at best deliberately misleading. Here's what I've sent in response.

Hello, XXX. You may recall that I emailed several days ago about the rumored downgrading of the complimentary alcoholic beverages available at the United Club. You indicated that the rumor was not true.

Today, I received an email from United entitled "We're investing in your United Club experience". This email contains the following:
United's announced plans to maintain "a selection" of complimentary beverages -- as opposed to "the current selection" -- is troubling, as the quoted language would allow the United Club to replace its current offerings with cheaper, lower quality alternatives.

In light of what you previously told me, can you confirm that the quality of the complimentary alcoholic beverages will not be decreased? In addition, can you tell me the specific brand name products that will be available on the house (e.g., Beefeater gin, Campari, Jim Beam bourbon, and so on)? Thank you very much.

Best regards,
XXX

salesna Aug 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by littlegreenmen (Post 21364497)
"...maintaining _a_ selection of..." /me thinks this is a hint that the comp. selection is going to change, and probably not in a way that I am going to like.

Yeah. When was the last time a company announced GOOD news the Friday afternoon before a long holiday weekend?

Live4Upgrade Aug 30, 2013 1:58 pm

If (and only if) this results in faster, more reliable WiFi speed then a big ^. But, something tells me not to hold my breath.

As for beer, guess we can be expecting PBR from September. :td:

fragment54 Aug 30, 2013 2:01 pm

I dont think the beer/wine is supposed to be changed. From what I read, they are making the current well drinks cost money, making the current premium drinks cost even more money and adding some new line of "well" drinks for the free stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if the new well drinks come in plastic bottles.

fragment54 Aug 30, 2013 2:03 pm

As if Jim Beam was not already bad enough, United must hate me.

astroflyer Aug 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade (Post 21364612)

Hey PBR is the beer in the hipster community. If you accessorize with skin-tight jeans, a wallet chain, flannel, and an ironic moustache, PBR completes the look. This might be the new image the UC is going for.

On a serious note, the SFO club has added some really nice local selections, like the Speakeasy Big Daddy IPA. I would love to see all the clubs add local selections to the complementary taps. And maybe increase the size of glasses from the 8 oz pours they seem to serve right now.

aacharya Aug 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade (Post 21364612)

Why would you say that?

jmd001 Aug 30, 2013 2:06 pm

I wonder if a Margarita will become a premium drink. As long as you don't ask for a specific/premium tequila, it has not been.

wcj1 Aug 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by enki (Post 21364576)
I agree with others that there will be a return to a card/scratch-off mechanism for guested or *G visitors. Inconvenient, but I don't think it's the end of the world.

The scratch off was a pain if you had multiple devices. You had to get a separate scratch off for each device. Just from an environmental standpoint, that is a lot of dumb plastic to gain access to wifi for a half hour or so.

jmd001 Aug 30, 2013 2:11 pm

In the email, the small print at the top of Step 2 graphic for WiFi access says: "Select one of the sign in methods below...", but it only shows one method (MP UserID and PIN). :confused:

wildbill412007 Aug 30, 2013 2:14 pm

To heck with the well liquors, here comes RC Cola.....

salesna Aug 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Mods, suggest merging this with the prior thread on downgrading drinks (though wifi isn't addressed there).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-2013-a.html