FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1498894-united-club-changes-drinks-wifi-sept-oct-2013-a.html)

controller1 Aug 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Question: Will I be able to have more than one device connected to WiFi at a time?

cerealmarketer Aug 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Such a great change it's announced the Friday before Labor Day.

And no specifics on what the beverage additions / deletions are.

Not a fan of having to login to Wifi now. Poaching wasn't the big issue - clubs handling more people than the Wifi was expected to handle are.

Feel bad for Star Golds who now will have to fish for some card or other cumbersome login.

docbert Aug 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 21364499)
Question: Will I be able to have more than one device connected to WiFi at a time?

Probably. But even if you can't there'll have to be some system for non-UC members (eg, *Gold) that you can likely piggy-back off. Whether that'll be the old scratch-cards or something else I suppose we'll have to wait and see...

electroflyer Aug 30, 2013 1:44 pm

So, I now have to give my kid my United MP login info if my kid wants to browse the web on his Android tablet in the club?

I now have to give my non-club-member work colleague who I guested into the club on a work trip my MP login info if he wants to connect to the web on his laptop?

Very convenient.

exerda Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Improvement on the wi-fi end, yes.

Not so sure on the drink end; I suspect the rumors will be proven true, and "expanded" means "anything drinkable will be 'premium' now, and the free stuff will be total swill."

MBS MillionMiler Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Given the 3:30PM (ET) announcement on the Friday of a holiday weekend, I think one can assume that our oracles were right about the downgraded booze selection!

edcho Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 21364546)
Improvement on the wi-fi end, yes.

Not so sure on the drink end; I suspect the rumors will be proven true, and "expanded" means "anything drinkable will be 'premium' now, and the free stuff will be total swill."

It's news released on Friday... so it must be bad! :D

Baze Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by electroflyer (Post 21364530)
So, I now have to give my kid my United MP login info if my kid wants to browse the web on his Android tablet in the club?

I now have to give my non-club-member work colleague who I guested into the club on a work trip my MP login info if he wants to connect to the web on his laptop?

Very convenient.

Nobody says you have to. It is your choice if you want to give them that information if there is no other way to log on.

MatthewLAX Aug 30, 2013 1:48 pm

I gain access to the club via Star Gold status and I really don't like the login internet requirement. Not cool if we have to start scratching those T-Mobile cards again...

Internet now is great. People complain it's slow, but in EWR/ORD/SFO/LAX/PHL it works just fine for me and it is great not having to login or have an annoying pop up or landing page.

jmd001 Aug 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 21364460)
Looks like they're going back to PMUA-style login verification too ^

As I recollect, with PMUA, it was just your MP number (UserID) that you had to input (no password or PIN). Now, one also will have to input one's PIN as well. :td:

I can understand UC's desire to prevent "theft" is its WiFi connection by non-members, but I think it can be minimized to an acceptable level by requiring ONLY the MP UserID. Requiring the PIN to be transmitted in an airport environment presents a security risk to the member, one I would rather not open myself up to.

enki Aug 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by electroflyer (Post 21364530)

Very convenient.

I agree with others that there will be a return to a card/scratch-off mechanism for guested or *G visitors. Inconvenient, but I don't think it's the end of the world.

I'm also willing to reserve my judgment about the selection of free offerings until after the new beverages roll out. That said, I'm not going in with any level of confidence that it'll be the same or better. I'd love to be surprised. I expect that I won't.

entropy Aug 30, 2013 1:53 pm

"We're adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products available for purchase, while maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines at our U.S. United Club locations. Beginning September 10, be sure to try regional and local favorites as well as other new items from our expanded beverage menu."

Adding= stuff that was free, is now "premium", whip out your favorite chase card...

a selection= Popov Vodka and Bathtub gin! Bud light and PBR on tap. Carlo Rossi blush and red available too!

disgraceful.

LilAbner Aug 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 21364499)

Used to have to go to the front desk to get a scratch off for additional access.
Unk what's the new log-in idea for more than one?:confused:

salesna Aug 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Those of us who emailed United about the rumor, and were told it was false, have good reason to be upset. If the assurances we received weren't outright lies, they were at best deliberately misleading. Here's what I've sent in response.

Hello, XXX. You may recall that I emailed several days ago about the rumored downgrading of the complimentary alcoholic beverages available at the United Club. You indicated that the rumor was not true.

Today, I received an email from United entitled "We're investing in your United Club experience". This email contains the following:
Expanded beverage program
We're adding to our portfolio of premium beverage products available for purchase, while maintaining a selection of complimentary beer, spirits and wines at our U.S. United Club locations. Beginning September 10, be sure to try regional and local favorites as well as other new items from our expanded beverage menu.
United's announced plans to maintain "a selection" of complimentary beverages -- as opposed to "the current selection" -- is troubling, as the quoted language would allow the United Club to replace its current offerings with cheaper, lower quality alternatives.

In light of what you previously told me, can you confirm that the quality of the complimentary alcoholic beverages will not be decreased? In addition, can you tell me the specific brand name products that will be available on the house (e.g., Beefeater gin, Campari, Jim Beam bourbon, and so on)? Thank you very much.

Best regards,
XXX

salesna Aug 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by littlegreenmen (Post 21364497)
"...maintaining _a_ selection of..." /me thinks this is a hint that the comp. selection is going to change, and probably not in a way that I am going to like.

Yeah. When was the last time a company announced GOOD news the Friday afternoon before a long holiday weekend?