Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Crossing both oceans on a US ↔ Asia award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossing both oceans on a US ↔ Asia award

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Any idea how exactly they manage to force it through if there's no way to get it to price?
No idea - seems to be a very manual process. If you're going to make this call, allow a full hour and then some to be on hold and for them to put it all through

I know it's a bit screwy as I had a less than desirable TXL-LHR-EWR set of flights in there (terminal change at LHR, UA metal TATL...not as enjoyable). Once space opened up on Austrian, I made the change to TXL-VIE-JFK, a better & easier experience all around. I was terrified of making this change, and the first two agents wouldn't do it (both said "it's an illegal routing, we'll let you keep the original since it's ticketed, but we can't change it").

The third agent did though! But I know something was up as I asked about any change in the taxes, and she said "no"...but I'm sure they changed (probably decreased) going from LHR to VIE, but I wasn't going to fight it.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No idea - seems to be a very manual process. If you're going to make this call, allow a full hour and then some to be on hold and for them to put it all through

I know it's a bit screwy as I had a less than desirable TXL-LHR-EWR set of flights in there (terminal change at LHR, UA metal TATL...not as enjoyable). Once space opened up on Austrian, I made the change to TXL-VIE-JFK, a better & easier experience all around. I was terrified of making this change, and the first two agents wouldn't do it (both said "it's an illegal routing, we'll let you keep the original since it's ticketed, but we can't change it").

The third agent did though! But I know something was up as I asked about any change in the taxes, and she said "no"...but I'm sure they changed (probably decreased) going from LHR to VIE, but I wasn't going to fight it.
It's amazing how arbitrary it is, and how it really comes down to the agents (more often than not) not wanting to do anything to help you.

I was in CMB in June and scheduled to return CMB-IST-CDG. I decided I wanted to re-jigger it into an F routing (obviously not possible CMB-IST) and the first dozen or so agents I spoke with would not let me use any routing that "backtracked" to SE Asia, despite there being no other way to get out of CMB with *A. I was trying (if memory serves me) to make it CMB-SIN(SQ J)-DEL(SQ F)-FRA(LH F)-CDG(LH J), mainly because I wanted to get on the LH 748i DEL-FRA and the only way to get from CMB to DEL was either via BKK or SIN. After hours of no, I got an agent who said no problem and had it all set...or nearly all set. Sadly in the intervening time I had spent with the useless agents, someone else snagged the LH F seat, but I was able to ticket CMB-BKK-FRA-CDG with no issue at all. If it CAN be that easy, then why do 90% of UA's agents have to fight their loyal customers and treat us like the enemy?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 3:14 am

Programs: A3*S, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, BWR Diamond
United Award Rules

I know that flying from US to Asia via Europe is permitted
Is it possible to fly from HNL to Asia via Europe ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.