Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[RUMOR] New Beverage offerings at United Clubs (Coming September 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[RUMOR] New Beverage offerings at United Clubs (Coming September 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salesna
Interesting. The tax angle hadn't occurred to me.

The more fundamental question is why would anyone pay $500 for a club membership when you can get the same benefit (plus many others) through a credit card that costs about $100 less. That's actually not meant to be a rhetorical question. Are there any advantages to buying a standalone club membership over the credit card?
Not everybody can get the card for one reason or another.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
Not everybody can get the card for one reason or another.
Credit history being one of the factors.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Yeah. Sort of sounds like they ran it by the lawyers first.

Can I ask the other FTers who emailed the UC about this issue to post the replies they receive? It would be interesting to see if subsequent replies are exactly the same or if the response changes once UA becomes aware that a number of people are concerned about this rumor.
Dear nevansm:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines and the office of Mr. Jeff Smisek.

We appreciate your very detailed and eloquent feedback regarding your recent experiences when visiting the United Club in various locations. In this very competitive industry, in order to be the airline of choice we are committed to refining every aspect of our service.

:REDACTED OTHER COMMENTS NOT PERTINENT:

Kind regards,

United Airlines CS Agent
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
A respose from UA Insider would be nice here.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nevansm
Dear nevansm:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines and the office of Mr. Jeff Smisek.

We appreciate your very detailed and eloquent feedback regarding your recent experiences when visiting the United Club in various locations. In this very competitive industry, in order to be the airline of choice we are committed to refining every aspect of our service.

:REDACTED OTHER COMMENTS NOT PERTINENT:

Kind regards,

United Airlines CS Agent
They have a new word. Refining=enhancing?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Hello Mr. RJNYC,

Thank you for your participation in the United Club.

I understand your concerns and have forwarded your comments to our management team for appropriate follow-up.

Regards,

XXXXX

United Club
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
A respose from UA Insider would be nice here.
Yes, please. Aaron, we know it's no fun to read a bunch of FT complaints, but if there's nothing to this rumor tell us and we can stop b****ing. Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Hello Hadrian35,

We’re always glad to hear from Premier Platinum members like you. Thanks for writing.

We have not heard about the plan to downgrade in the complimentary drink selection served at the clubrooms.

I apologize for any confusion this issue has caused you.

Regards,

Employee w/ no job title
United Club
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by iahkid2014
I spoke to a bartender in the UC at IAH on Friday and he said that he had not heard anything about downgrading the drinks or charging for the wells.
Tripp or Charlie? I miss them!

Anyway, I asked the bartender at MCO today and he said "hadn't heard of anything but it wouldn't surprise [him] if it was coming... Seems you guys know everything before me anyway... I just do what I'm told with the tools I'm supplied."

Originally Posted by milepig
Interesting wording. Not:

"We've checked with the bevereage manager and there are no plans..."

but rather:

"We are not aware..." indicating that there may indeed be plans, they just haven't been told and don't care enough to find out.

or even:

"We're very aware of plans, but there is a news blackout until UA issues the 'enhancement you'll like'" message.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Yes, please. Aaron, we know it's no fun to read a bunch of FT complaints, but if there's nothing to this rumor tell us and we can stop b****ing. Thanks.
I don't see any visit and proclamation from UA Insider until it's officially announced and then it will be a "once again FTers beat me to it...." statement.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I was at the United Club in SFO. This woman next to me asked what red wines were available. The bartender listed "free" and "pay". There was one choice that was a "house red" which he was unable to describe whatsoever. And then gestured to about 10 bottles which he said "you pay these".
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Are there any advantages to buying a standalone club membership over the credit card?
Nt at all. The UA credit card includes a full club membership.

But we digress...

I'm not too worried about the beverage selection. As long as they still have seltzer I'll be happy -- though the $3 Glenlivet 15 shots (after CC discunt) are pretty nice.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
The more fundamental question is why would anyone pay $500 for a club membership when you can get the same benefit (plus many others) through a credit card that costs about $100 less. That's actually not meant to be a rhetorical question. Are there any advantages to buying a standalone club membership over the credit card?
There is another potential advantage to club membership. Some corporate policies will reimburse a club membership expense, but not a credit card annual fee
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by joshwex90
There is another potential advantage to club membership. Some corporate policies will reimburse a club membership expense, but not a credit card annual fee
I was afraid to convert to the club card and lose the choices benefit. I'm not renewing my UC membership but anyone else know if you convert if you lose the choices redemption option?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:20 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Let's stick to the topic of this thread and not to the reimbursement issues/policies of buying a membership.

Thanks.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.