Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What good are airline miles for kids?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

What good are airline miles for kids?

My son is 7-yrs old and I had opened up a United MileagePus account when he was 6 before some United flights we took. He has enough miles to get a free US domestic roundtrip ticket. But how can I book him all by himself on a single ticket and have me and/or my wife on separate tickets?

Should I transfer all his miles to my or my wife's account?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Use his miles to book for one of you and then book another ticket with one parent + son.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Use his miles to book for one of you and then book another ticket with one parent + son.
Ah! Never thought of that!!!! :-) Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:06 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

TXflyer has the best suggestion. However, even if you ended up needing to book him on his own ticket at some point it would not be an issue 99.9% of the time. I have done it many times myself for my own 3 year old. Of course, I am also on the flight, but just occasionally not on her reservation.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mommy Points
TXflyer has the best suggestion. However, even if you ended up needing to book him on his own ticket at some point it would not be an issue 99.9% of the time. I have done it many times myself for my own 3 year old. Of course, I am also on the flight, but just occasionally not on her reservation.
But then you have to specifically not note "children" when booking.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by aacharya
But then you have to specifically not note "children" when booking.
I just book my kids as adults, there's no way I won't be on the plane with them.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
I have had agents tell me to book underage kids as adults if parents are flying with them. And in this case you don't need to be concerned with looking for a child discount b/c it's a miles ticket.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by revigik
I have had agents tell me to book underage kids as adults if parents are flying with them. And in this case you don't need to be concerned with looking for a child discount b/c it's a miles ticket.
Agreed. We have done this many times and all 4 of our kids have UA MP accounts.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
Agreed with the above. Just book them as an adult. Never had anybody say anything. I've even emailed and asked how to book a child separate. Always been told to select adult. In my (limited) experience on UA it makes no difference as I have yet to find a child or infant-in-own-seat discount fare.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini Club, STARS, Hyatt Privé, Peninsula PenClub, etc.
Back when there was a particular promotion that required booking my then 4 year old on his own separate ticket, even though I was flying with him, I booked him as an adult, then subsequently called to correct his birth date. There was no way to use the promo code with a phone booking, so amending his birth date was the only way.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
The nice thing to that approach if you are elite is that the folks booked with your miles will inherit your status and you can enter your own FF info on the reservation from your child's account to retain your elite status - everybody wins!
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Mommy Points
Or use his miles to book you and your miles/money to book him as a child.

Or just use his miles to book you a ticket for a solo flight.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
I used to use my baby's miles to upgrade myself when I was traveling alone. I figured the kid wouldn't care, and I deserved it after schlepping around the world with an infant!

But now I use the kid's miles for the same thing for which I use the whole family's miles: award tickets for our family vacations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.