Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP!!! UA/ANA flight to Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

I just booked flight from SFO-NRT-PVG, operate by UA from SFO-NRT, ANA from NRT-PVG. Return flight is PVG-NRT-SFO, PVG-NRT operate by ANA, UA from NRT-SFO. This is my flight time stop at Tokyo. I have some questions based on the mixed airlines.

1, how many bags can I checked for free( rule by UA, to Japan is 2 bags, to China is one bag) However, the return flight i suppose to checked in at ANA counter, ANA is two bags for free. So i am confused.
2. Do I need any visa to have a connection in JAP? (I hold Chinese passport)

Does anyone have the same experience like me? please help, thank you very much!!!!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

2 bags each way free of charge (united to japan is 2 free bags - ANA will take them free to China)

No Japan visa needed

Have a nice trip
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by cubachao
I just booked flight from SFO-NRT-PVG, operate by UA from SFO-NRT, ANA from NRT-PVG. Return flight is PVG-NRT-SFO, PVG-NRT operate by ANA, UA from NRT-SFO. This is my flight time stop at Tokyo. I have some questions based on the mixed airlines.

1, how many bags can I checked for free( rule by UA, to Japan is 2 bags, to China is one bag) However, the return flight i suppose to checked in at ANA counter, ANA is two bags for free. So i am confused.
2. Do I need any visa to have a connection in JAP? (I hold Chinese passport)

Does anyone have the same experience like me? please help, thank you very much!!!!
1. Which means your outbound trip can only check 1 bag, but your inbound return trip can check 2 bags
2. No, you don't need visa at NRT as you don't go thru any immigration and customs, you only need to go thru a security check point.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
2 bags each way free of charge
It is definately one bag for outbound, as OP is flying UA SFO-NRT, not NH SFO-NRT.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:51 pm

UA allows 2 free bags to Japan. That is all he needs to get the 2 free to PVG (ANA will not charge for the 2nd bag as it is coming from USA - piece concept)

Coming back NH 2 free to US - no worries

United discriminates in favor of Tokyo - 2 free to NRT, but if going onto Singapore for example it is just one bag. They want us to switch carriers in NRT apparently.

Last edited by uastarflyer; Feb 11, 2013 at 9:56 pm
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA allows 2 free bags to Japan. That is all he needs to get the 2 free to PVG (ANA will not charge for the 2nd bag as it is coming from USA - piece concept)

It is the destination count, not where one connect. I don't believe OP is stopping over in Japan, unless I misinterpret wrong on that part.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:01 pm
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG

It is the destination count, not where one connect.
UA isn't servicing the destination flight however. They are just agreeing to dump the bags over to ANA interline.

It is up to ANA to collect. And they will not as it is coming from US.

Or do you say UA collects $ and then gives it to NH?????
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA isn't servicing the destination flight however. They are just agreeing to dump the bags over to ANA interline.

I don't know which is which, but I know for sure is your checked bag allowance determine by the first airline you check your bag.

E.g. If one flying UA F connect to LH F as a *G, the maximum allowance would be 3* bags at 70lbs each not 4* bags at 70lbs each.
E.g. If one flying UA Y connect to NH Y as a *G, I can get 3 bags at 70lbs each instead of NH's rules 3 bags at 50lbs.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG

I don't know which is which, but I know for sure is your checked bag allowance determine by the first airline you check your bag.

E.g. If one flying UA F connect to LH F as a *G, the maximum allowance would be 3* bags at 70lbs each not 4* bags at 70lbs each.
I agree with you - what I don't get here is in this case the first leg allows 2 and NH also allows 2 - it is not like your example.

Fly UA to NRT = 2 bags
Fly NH to NRT and PVG = 2 bags
Fly UA to NRT and *any carrier worldwide* to PVG = 1 bag? And UA gets free money???

By the way, UA cheap stunts on baggage fees to Asia is one reason I switched family travel to SQ. and unlike NH, Smisek gets Zero revenue share on a SQ ticket.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I agree with you - what I don't get here is in this case the first leg allows 2 and NH also allows 2 - it is not like your example.

Fly UA to NRT = 2 bags
Fly NH to NRT and PVG = 2 bags
Fly UA to NRT and *any carrier worldwide* to PVG = 1 bag? And UA gets free money???

By the way, UA cheap stunts on baggage fees to Asia is one reason I switched family travel to SQ. and unlike NH, Smisek gets Zero revenue share on a SQ ticket.
Thanks for all your helps. I really appreciate it. Yah, check bags means a lot to me, i dont feel like to pay 80 bucks just for 2nd checked bags. It costs me a lot on airfares already. I prob will call them and ask......too bad, ANA only qualify 50% on UA premier miles (((((
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by cubachao
Thanks for all your helps. I really appreciate it. Yah, check bags means a lot to me, i dont feel like to pay 80 bucks just for 2nd checked bags. It costs me a lot on airfares already. I prob will call them and ask......too bad, ANA only qualify 50% on UA premier miles (((((
Never mind! NRT-China on ANA does earn only 50%!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:56 pm

a family friend just took SFO-NRT-TPE with UA (SFO-NRT) and NH (NRT-TPE). The baggage allowance was 1 bag.

on the receipt, return is supposedly 1 bag as well as the first carrier designate baggage allowance... in this case UA.... ymmv
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by myperks
a family friend just took SFO-NRT-TPE with UA (SFO-NRT) and NH (NRT-TPE). The baggage allowance was 1 bag.

on the receipt, return is supposedly 1 bag as well as the first carrier designate baggage allowance... in this case UA.... ymmv
TPE-SFO direct (the UA nonstop) UA only allows 1 bag.

However, ANA allows 2 bags TPE-NRT-TPE and UA allows 2 bags NRT-SFO-NRT.

UA is not carrying the bags to TPE. They are carrying it to NRT, and allow 2 free bags on flights to Japan. NH, the carrier of the bags from NRT to TPE allows 2 bags on all Int'l flights.

If UA is collecting a baggage charge on SFO-NRT-TPE for a 2nd bag, it is a scam pure and simple. More reason to fly another carrier.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by lax2010
Never mind! NRT-China on ANA does earn only 50%!
Wait what? I believe this is completely dependent on the fare class. I just booked a trip including an ANA flight from NRT to TPE, and it earned 70%. I also know that domestic ANA flights in F earn well above 100% (but I can't recall off the top of my head what it is).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by paulyras
Wait what? I believe this is completely dependent on the fare class. I just booked a trip including an ANA flight from NRT to TPE, and it earned 70%. I also know that domestic ANA flights in F earn well above 100% (but I can't recall off the top of my head what it is).
Fare code decides it.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=299

Basically, if you fly ANA to China, India, Australia you are major risk of getting less than 100% mileage credit in Coach.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:58 am

TPE-SFO direct (the UA nonstop) UA only allows 1 bag.

However, ANA allows 2 bags TPE-NRT-TPE and UA allows 2 bags NRT-SFO-NRT.

UA is not carrying the bags to TPE. They are carrying it to NRT, and allow 2 free bags on flights to Japan. NH, the carrier of the bags from NRT to TPE allows 2 bags on all Int'l flights.

If UA is collecting a baggage charge on SFO-NRT-TPE for a 2nd bag, it is a scam pure and simple. More reason to fly another carrier.
the flight from nrt to tpe is a codeshare UA-flight number operated by NH. don't know if that is why it was 1 bag.

i guess if the segments weren't "married", segment broken, the 2nd bag may not be charged... i'm not sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.