Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uax den-san!?!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Uax den-san!?!?

Looking to travel to SAN and of course, UA is coming up cheapest and just received a memo about overriding more expensive carriers on our travel portal...so UA it is for this trip. I am baffled to see UA operating United Express, CRJ-200 no less, into SAN from DEN. Isn't SAN a major non-hub market for UA (like BOS)? Of course there are plenty of UAL options via IAH, ORD, SFO. Is this new? I know UA has many long UAX routes but I have to say this one surprises me.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Especially a -200. What a craptastic way to fly.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
You can thank Southwest for the UA CRJ...better yet, you can fly Southwest and avoid the CRJ!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Looking to travel to SAN and of course, UA is coming up cheapest and just received a memo about overriding more expensive carriers on our travel portal...so UA it is for this trip. I am baffled to see UA operating United Express, CRJ-200 no less, into SAN from DEN. Isn't SAN a major non-hub market for UA (like BOS)? Of course there are plenty of UAL options via IAH, ORD, SFO. Is this new? I know UA has many long UAX routes but I have to say this one surprises me.
I'm seeing one UAX a day (the early one) - mainline on the other two. Even the 200 moves to a CRJ-700 for flights in 2014.

You made it seem as if the entire flight route was served by UAX.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA1K
crj's into SNA too...
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
& SMF.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Aug 15, 2013 at 6:23 pm
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Is WN really more than UA on this route? If not, why not grab the WN mainline. I hate WN, but would do so in place of a -200.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Isn't SAN a major non-hub market for UA (like BOS)?
No, just another out-station. No routes to anywhere except hubs.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
Is WN really more than UA on this route? If not, why not grab the WN mainline. I hate WN, but would do so in place of a -200.
I have basically stopped flying WN because they don't have TSA Pre. Their fares also seem to be getting higher and higher.

I hate UX but if it is cheaper and gets me Pre, I will for force myself to do it (for now).
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Sorry, welcome to the world of crappy flights. I've just given up miles to avoid the CRJ-200 on YYZ-IAH. Now, I don't mind the -700 as much on YYZ-DEN, but these long routes deserve a plane with ovens!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
WN is actually really expensive these days if you can't get one of their discount advance fares. Consistently higher than UA or US on west coast routes. Last month I got an A fare on US SFO-PHX for about the same as WN's anytime fare.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Kacee
WN is actually really expensive these days if you can't get one of their discount advance fares. Consistently higher than UA or US on west coast routes. Last month I got an A fare on US SFO-PHX for about the same as WN's anytime fare.
That is a common theme that the public just doesn't get.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That is a common theme that the public just doesn't get.
or the public is willing to pay a premium to fly WN. almost everyone i know certainly is. i'm the only exception.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by imgonnafly
or the public is willing to pay a premium to fly WN. almost everyone i know certainly is. i'm the only exception.
exactly. I think the -200s are part of the reason WN is seeing good growth in DEN. I gladly pay a couple of extra bucks to avoid them.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Plus, the line at SAN to get through security to the WN flights is absolutely outrageous...seems to stretch forever at all times of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.