Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uax den-san!?!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by groobie
Plus, the line at SAN to get through security to the WN flights is absolutely outrageous...seems to stretch forever at all times of the day.
On the other hand, if you fly out of OAK and choose T1 security there are never more than three or four people in line. It's literally ten minutes from parking lot to gate.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 4:12 am

Programs: OW Emerald
I have a love/hate relationship with WN.

I hate accruing miles(points) towards a program that doesn't offer the possibility of aspirational international premium travel, the already stated lack of PreCheck, and the free for all for seats since I frequently get to the gate after A has already started boarding, meaning I get stuck with the B group and a middle seat despite holding a low number A BP. And the scarce extra legroom seats.

However, not having to worry about the turboprop and no F CRJs is nice. And the WN planes have much less MX delays than UA planes. The no change fees, esp now the legacies bumped it up to $200 makes it, is pretty enlightening too.

WN used to be consistently cheaper 5+ years ago but now for peak travel times, WN pricing is on par with everyone else. Meh... long story short, tough decision to fly UAX on a CRJ200 vs WN mainline flight on the same schedule.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by aacharya
I'm seeing one UAX a day (the early one) - mainline on the other two. Even the 200 moves to a CRJ-700 for flights in 2014.

You made it seem as if the entire flight route was served by UAX.
Give it time...give it time.

Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by dchen2
I have a love/hate relationship with WN.

I hate accruing miles(points) towards a program that doesn't offer the possibility of aspirational international premium travel, the already stated lack of PreCheck, and the free for all for seats since I frequently get to the gate after A has already started boarding, meaning I get stuck with the B group and a middle seat despite holding a low number A BP. And the scarce extra legroom seats.

However, not having to worry about the turboprop and no F CRJs is nice. And the WN planes have much less MX delays than UA planes. The no change fees, esp now the legacies bumped it up to $200 makes it, is pretty enlightening too.

WN used to be consistently cheaper 5+ years ago but now for peak travel times, WN pricing is on par with everyone else. Meh... long story short, tough decision to fly UAX on a CRJ200 vs WN mainline flight on the same schedule.
sounds like this is completely your own problem and not much to do with WN. i have often held a mid-high B # boarding pass and still easily found a window or aisle seat toward the front of the plane.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by imgonnafly
or the public is willing to pay a premium to fly WN. almost everyone i know certainly is. i'm the only exception.
I think folks believe WN is cheaper, and they like not paying "again" for bags, even if UA was cheaper by $60 (cost to check two bags). It's irrational economics, but it is a model that people follow.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by aacharya
I think folks believe WN is cheaper, and they like not paying "again" for bags, even if UA was cheaper by $60 (cost to check two bags). It's irrational economics, but it is a model that people follow.
Actually we should assume ppl are flying r/t and therefore UA would need to be $120 cheaper for 2 bags, $60 savings gets you 1 bag each way and $10 in your pocket.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Yup, I had this option recently and WN got the money. 2 flights were crj200.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:59 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
and BUR.

Originally Posted by groobie
Plus, the line at SAN to get through security to the WN flights is absolutely outrageous...seems to stretch forever at all times of the day.
That's pretty much every airport terminal with dedicated (or mostly) WN presence. Like LAX T1.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by Kacee
WN is actually really expensive these days if you can't get one of their discount advance fares. Consistently higher than UA or US on west coast routes. Last month I got an A fare on US SFO-PHX for about the same as WN's anytime fare.
But but bags fly free!

Regional jets for anything above 500miles and or very thin routes is a joke.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dchen2
Of course, if you want to take an earlier flight same day on WN, you have to buy up to the most expensive fare. No standby without buying up.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by imgonnafly
or the public is willing to pay a premium to fly WN. almost everyone i know certainly is. i'm the only exception.
I think your sampling is poor.

Per the DOT coupon data, passengers are paying a $40 round trip premium to fly UA mainline over Southwest and a $100 round trip premium to fly Skywest over Southwest.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mduell
I think your sampling is poor.

Per the DOT coupon data, passengers are paying a $40 round trip premium to fly UA mainline over Southwest and a $100 round trip premium to fly Skywest over Southwest.
I think you forget UA does sell some first class seats which makes the numbers off. People like me do pay a premium to not fly Express, especially a 200.

Proof is WN came in and swept another route away from UA. In a year the route will have 4 non stop Express flights, and you will tell people frequency is more important, when all honesty, UA has loss another route.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by tods27
Of course, if you want to take an earlier flight same day on WN, you have to buy up to the most expensive fare. No standby without buying up.
That's a good point. One good benefit is free SDC for elites. Though in this day of ever higher load factors, it seems the majority of my flights on both WN and UA are sold out, especially on the peak travel days.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: UA1K
The UX creep into formerly mainline UA routes out of SAN has been going on for at least a year. First it was to SFO (but scaled back since) and then DEN. I'm surprised they haven't tried to put one to IAH yet...
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I think you forget UA does sell some first class seats which makes the numbers off. People like me do pay a premium to not fly Express, especially a 200.

Proof is WN came in and swept another route away from UA. In a year the route will have 4 non stop Express flights, and you will tell people frequency is more important, when all honesty, UA has loss another route.
There's no F on the CRJ-200 operated by SKW. CRJ2 coach gets a $100 premium over Southwest - people really do like frequency and are willing to pay for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.