Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experience / Questions with United's Trip Insurance (Allianz)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience / Questions with United's Trip Insurance (Allianz)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
UA selling Travel Insurance for Reward Tickets

Has anyone bought the Rewards Trip Protector from Allianz Global Assistance that is offered on the United Website when redeeming miles for an award ticket?

Is this insurance/firm any good or would you recommend another firm? For me, all I need is trip cancellation insurance. All of my other insurance needs (medical/evacuation) are covered by another policy.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Has anyone bought the Rewards Trip Protector from Allianz Global Assistance that is offered on the United Website when redeeming miles for an award ticket?

Is this insurance/firm any good or would you recommend another firm? For me, all I need is trip cancellation insurance. All of my other insurance needs (medical/evacuation) are covered by another policy.
I don't see why you'd buy insurance to protect an award ticket. You can cancel it and get all your miles back for a $150 service fee.. buying insurance to protect against $150 seems silly. Or you can simply change the dates of your ticket for free to something in the future.

Travel insurance often offers other coverages besides just protecting the value of your ticket (I don't know the terms of the Allianz offer specifically).. but if you're just concerned about the airline ticket itself don't waste your money on insurance.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
And if you're 1K, you can cancel for free. It would be nice if the website had the smarts not to offer travel insurance to 1Ks on award tickets. For me having a simple, easy to use, and uncluttered website is really important.

I'm very busy most of the time. Not being able to make reservations easily and quickly is usually more of an impediment to travel than the cost of the ticket.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:59 am

I have it offered on my reward ticket as well and it is listed at $25.

I would be more interested in the emergency medical / dental coverage and the $150/day travel delay coverage. With my long itin it might pay off.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
-- SNIP --

Travel insurance often offers other coverages besides just protecting the value of your ticket (I don't know the terms of the Allianz offer specifically).. but if you're just concerned about the airline ticket itself don't waste your money on insurance.
Originally Posted by 5khours
And if you're 1K, you can cancel for free. It would be nice if the website had the smarts not to offer travel insurance to 1Ks on award tickets. For me having a simple, easy to use, and uncluttered website is really important.
-- SNIP --

Thanks for the replies.

I am thinking about more than just canceling the trip or changing dates. The coverage "summary" says it will cover the following:

Trip Cancellation Provides reimbursement for prepaid, non-refundable expenses, up to the amount of coverage purchased related to trip cancellation caused by a covered reason. $300

Pay $25.00 to cover potential $150.00 [cancel/redeposit fee] +$150.00 [one night hotel] loss. Not such a good value but it is part of the package.

Trip Interruption Offers reimbursement for the unused, non-refundable portion of your trip and increased transportation costs for you to return home due to a covered reason. $1,500

Meh, might be useful if a family member becomes terminally ill or dies unexpectedly, but doesn't cover pre-existing conditions. So, traveling home early won't be covered for that heart attack your mother has because she had a pre-existing heart condition, right??

Travel Delay Provides reimbursement for meals and accommodations if your travel is delayed for 6 or more consecutive hours. $500 (max $150/day)

Change Fee Coverage Provides reimbursement for change fees in addition to Trip Cancellation/interruption expenses. $300

These might be of use if the flight is delayed and I miss checking into the hotel. It might cover the one room night non-refundable fee. [I will be traveling internationally so won't be able to cancel 24 hrs in advance.] And the cost of alternative arrangements.

Plus medical and dental coverage except for pre-existing conditions.

I guess my real question is: Should one's trip actually be delayed or interrupted, will this company be reasonable and pay "fairly" up to the policy limits or will this be like pulling hens teeth?

Last edited by MIT_SBM; Mar 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I have had it offered before (never used it). However, you can try some of the other travel insurance companies out there, the rates seem to be more competetive (even check with the company you already use for evacuation/medical).
Old May 1, 2012, 4:17 am

has anybody else been charged for the Allianz trip insurance after purchasing a ticket on united.com when they are absolutely sure they didn't select the option to purchase it?

just happened to me on my most recent itin. wondering what pain-in-the-... hoops i'll need to jump through to avoid the charge.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajc1970:18490824
has anybody else been charged for the Allianz trip insurance after purchasing a ticket on united.com when they are absolutely sure they didn't select the option to purchase it?

just happened to me on my most recent itin. wondering what pain-in-the-... hoops i'll need to jump through to avoid the charge.
Has not happened to me...yet. But I usually check every charge line-item twice [or more] before pressing the charge me button.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:14 pm

Has not happened to me...yet. But I usually check every charge line-item twice [or more] before pressing the charge me button.
I'm certain I didn't click the option to purchase it, and I usually review the charge line-item too (though I can't say for sure this time... no longer remember).

Fortunately, I replied to Allianz' "thank you for purchasing..." email, saying I didn't purchase it, and didn't want it, and they cancelled the policy and reversed the charge. At least it was an easy fix.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:59 pm

Trip Cancellation Provides reimbursement for prepaid, non-refundable expenses, up to the amount of coverage purchased related to trip cancellation caused by a covered reason.
I guess my real question is: Should one's trip actually be delayed or interrupted, will this company be reasonable and pay "fairly" up to the policy limits or will this be like pulling hens teeth?
Well if one is a hen's tooth plucker there should be no problem unless you can't convince them is a "COVERED REASON"! Which btw, is their out, and you better have a lot of spare time on your hands to provide proof!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: Airline FF: UA 1K, DL, US, AA, NW,
Refund - Trip Protector (re: Insurance) not selected

I'm having an issue with United on refunding a Trip Protector charge for my flights in June. It seems that United.com passed to Allianz that I want the Trip Protector (travel insurance) for this ticket. I have the screen capture that I took where I did not select Yes, but also didn't select No - So no choice was made.

I've submitted a refund request thru United.com Refunds link with the screen captures and fare basis. They requested a copy of my Credit Card Statement with the charges and today stated I should Dispute the charge with my credit card company. Which I have as of today.

As I pointed out to United (in 30 years of flying them) I've never bought travel insurance for flights (especially Business Travel).

My questions
1) Should I press further with United.com since it really seems like their website made a mistake passing along the "request for insurance" or,
2) Should I just continue along the lines of the Chase Credit Card dispute?

Last edited by hhmorgan; Jul 19, 2012 at 10:32 am
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Unused Ticket Credit & United Travel Insurance

As I am the FF of the family (and even I'm not enjoying status this year ), my MIL has asked me to look into getting whatever $$$ I can for her on an itinerary she booked but does not now wish to fly. She has decided to drive instead. Her tickets cost $550 and are non-refundable. She also purchased the Allianz Travel insurance UA offers when you purchase. Two questions:
  1. Can she recoup the full $550 through the travel insurance?
  2. Assuming the answer to #1 is no, how does she go about getting back whatever she can? Will she be issued an electronic voucher for $400 ($550 minus the $150 change fee) if she cancels online?
I feel like I should know the answer to these questions. But I can't honestly say I've ever changed my mind and not traveled once my tickets have been bought; so I've never experienced this. A search didn't turn up much that was conclusive or enlightening. And I'm too chicken to hit the 'cancel' button without knowing what will happen.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As far as the insurance goes, the question is WHY is she not flying? If it's just simply because she decided she no longer wants to, then the insurance will almost certainly not apply. However if it's because (say) she's under medical advise not to fly then it may. Basically you'll need to read the rules/policy of the insurance and see what it covers.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by docbert
As far as the insurance goes, the question is WHY is she not flying? If it's just simply because she decided she no longer wants to, then the insurance will almost certainly not apply. However if it's because (say) she's under medical advise not to fly then it may. Basically you'll need to read the rules/policy of the insurance and see what it covers.
Yeah, I had pretty much already come to the conclusion that insurance is a non-starter here, having already reviewed the policy. She's driving because her husband decided to go with her after the fact and wants access to their car. I can't imagine why insurance would cover this. But I thought perhaps someone might have experience to the contrary.

I guess what it comes down to is whether we can recoup some of her ticket by cancelling online or if someone needs to call UA (and whether that someone would need to be her).
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Unused Ticket Credit & United Travel Insurance

Travel insurance won't do anything if she just decided she wanted to drive instead.

You can cancel the ticket. You'll get the full value of the ticket back - can be used for one year from the date of issue - but you'll have to pay whatever the change fee is when rebooking. Since she is driving - ill assume the ticket is domestic, so the fee is likely $150. Thats assuming the fare isn't something that can't be changed - which happens with some usually unpublished fare - like Priceline name your own price et al.

Funds can only be used by her, but if the new ticket value is less than the old, the balance after rebooking will come in an electronic voucher which can be used by anyone.

Only hope of getting actual dollars back is hoping for irrops, etc. and flight gets canceled or severely delayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.