Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Delta Shuttle: LAX-SFO hourly. How does UA respond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Shuttle: LAX-SFO hourly. How does UA respond?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
So, UA generally flies mainline planes on this route all day. Today delta announced more or less all RJ service between the cities. Why are we not bashing DL for the RJ service ?, or are we only allowed to bash UA when it's the other way around. Forgive me, I'm trying to stay up to date on the forum rules
I think this is largely because DL switched regional carriers here (to Compass) so that the route would be operated exclusively by E175's. As others have noted, they really don't feel like an RJ the way the other regional equipment does -- in fact, in some ways it's better than mainline because there are no middle seats.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
UA's response:

Jeff wlll talk about UA is the first US airline to have the 787 and then talk about our world wide network. That's his answer for everything.

Recently, I was on UA CAE-ORD-LAS. There was mechanical problems on UA and I was moved to DL in CAE. Problems over at DL and there was a several hour delay. While we waited, DL passed out $50 Master card vouchers for us to use in Atlanta Airport in the next 48 hours. I was floored. As a 1K on UA, I have never seen anything like this.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
DL Strategy - Increase revenue and profits by improving service and adding capacity.

UA Strategy - Go out of business by cutting service and capacity.
Delta's domestic capacity post-merger is down, and there are no plans to grow it much beyond the extra seats added from flying larger aircraft. Right now, Delta is moving a lot of capacity around, which results in growth in some markets.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
CR7/CR9
The current flights are all CR7/CR9, the press release says Pinnacle E75.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
I think this is largely because DL switched regional carriers here (to Compass) so that the route would be operated exclusively by E175's. As others have noted, they really don't feel like an RJ the way the other regional equipment does -- in fact, in some ways it's better than mainline because there are no middle seats.
Today's UA schedule of 15 mainline LAX-SFO puts 200 F seats on the route.

DL's schedule of 14 E175s puts 168 F seats on the route. It is ambitious.

This E175 config is so much better than a Delta CR7 or CR9 in coach the uninitiated won't believe it.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
As others have noted, they really don't feel like an RJ the way the other regional equipment does .
Ok Noted. The 170 only feels like an RJ when UA flies it, not when DL flies it. Got it. I knew it couldn't be that complicated.

thanks
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:03 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Ok Noted. The 170 only feels like an RJ when UA flies it, not when DL flies it. Got it. I knew it couldn't be that complicated.
Most UA RJ pax would be happy to admit the E170s on UA Express are far preferable to CR-anything, SF3s, E145s, EMB-120s, etc.

Although it's a shame UA has not been able to yet bring any kind of real food to any RJs, wifi or IFE to any RJs, etc....
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
Forget TED, some of us are old enough to remember Sh!ttle by United

Yes! hahaha.

anyway as people have noted aptly, good points on RJs getting delayed faster than mainline at SFO, and that RJs are somewhat annoying.

However the E70 is ok. Overhead wise still sucks In comparison especially to how FULL the bins get on a 757 LAX-SFO.

The amenities are what caught my eye though. It's almost as if Delta wants people to ENJOY this route.

Whatever all of this will be irrelevant when california finishes its high speed rail
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mduell
The current flights are all CR7/CR9, the press release says Pinnacle E75.
Cost wise, this is not a huge push for DL. They currently have 10 flights (as you said CRJ7/9, and are going with 14 E175s. So only 4 extra flights each way. But they end up with the same coverage that UA does, have RJ wages, have 12 FC on each plane (much better F to Y ratio) and unlike UA that is shuttling the planes in from elsewhere, and tagging on the SFO-LAX, it will be a dedicated fleet. So yes, the usual weather issue, but no problems from elsewhere will effect the reliability as it does now with UAL and its over scheduling of its AC.

For our Jefferson Avenue crew though, ignore this at your peril. DL is making a huge west coast push, LAX and SEA. Then they infill at SFO (likely with a VX tie up). The goal is to make DL the go to airline at LAX (same as at NYC). DL is adding massive service at LAX, and will have a newly refinished terminal. UAL? Dumpy old terminal and service cuts.

You can play all the games you want, try to convince yourself that UAL is doing well, DAL posted 9.7B in revenue, and $685M in profit. UAL had 10B in revenue, and only $468M,

Moving forward, DL will have (1) lie flat, isle access, (2) upgaged planes, less RJ, (3) expanded LAX/NYC/SEA service, (4) the VS tie up (and no 2 at LHR), (5) adding IFE/power to all A319/320s, and now (5) this shuttle.

What new advantages will UA have? They will have a bunch of A319/320s with tigher seating and IFE taken out. And they have gone to cheaper/broken/stale nuts in F/C, saving $100,000/year. Can you think of any new wonderful things they are doing?

DAL is targeting UA directly
, they see a change to pick up high value fliers (at LAX, NYC) and they expect those fliers to come from UAL, not some other airline. Anyone who thinks there target is SW, or VX (or AA) is mistaken...
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by exerda
Most UA RJ pax would be happy to admit the E170s on UA Express are far preferable to CR-anything, SF3s, E145s, EMB-120s, etc.

Although it's a shame UA has not been able to yet bring any kind of real food to any RJs, wifi or IFE to any RJs, etc....
I'm being sarcastic because of all the bashing on here. There is no doubt that DL seems to be making lots of "what at least appear to be" common sense, customer friendly decisions.

Wifi on LAX-SFO is usually pretty patchy at best, so that isn't really a bug deal to myself, but it is nice thing to know that every hour on the hour that flight exists rather than having to check schedules

I truly believe that if DL announced tomorrow that they were bringing mileage reception for awards and upgrades in line with that UA offers, that most elites would seriously leave in droves. Every time I look for a DL award, it's like 325,000 mies for anything longhaul business, where as on UA I find Business and First awards pretty much every time I look for saver amounts of 50k, and 67k

It's the only thing that UA is currently better than DL for.

Last edited by CO_Nonrev_elite; Aug 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I don't think UA has any plans to grow at LAX? And I think this move by Delta is mostly about LAX.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I don't think UA has any plans to grow at LAX? And I think this move by Delta is mostly about LAX.
its about getting more corporate deals and high value fliers. Its about becoming the best network in the US and from/to the US by far, and being the airline that folks who want good service, and will pay for it, want to fly.

Its also an effort to poach customers when UAL is weak, and before AA becomes stronger.

Its the opposite strategy of what UA is doing.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
So, UA generally flies mainline planes on this route all day. Today delta announced more or less all RJ service between the cities. Why are we not bashing DL for the RJ service ?, or are we only allowed to bash UA when it's the other way around. Forgive me, I'm trying to stay up to date on the forum rules
DL RJ experience arguably better than UA mainline on this route?

RJs don't have to be a sucky experience - UA just makes them that way
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was having this same thought.

Originally Posted by Sykes
The good news for them is that Delta's RJ SFO-LAX operation will be dramatically cheaper to operate than UA's mainline operation ...
RJ's are NOT cheaper than mainline A/C on a CASM basis.

ETA: Especially when they are offering additional amenities that the competition is not.

Originally Posted by 5khours
Got the wrong guy. I still hate DL, but recently they're moving in the right direction while UA is moving in the wrong direction.
Adding all-RJs between two major cities is a move in the right direction?

OK . . .

But does that also hold true when UA does it?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 2, 2013 at 12:46 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
These things tend to peter out after a while because history seems to show that the market won't shift for a 1/2-sandwich. This is a pretty upscale demographic route, so the real factors are likely to be corporate deals and convenience.
Upscale or not, the convenience of Southwest (combined with all the other UA issues post-3/3) has shifted me to Southwest exclusively for anything between SoCal and NoCal -- {BUR, LAX} - {OAK, SFO, SMF}. BUR-OAK on UA is missed (anything to avoid SFO).

And there are a LOT of suits on the BUR-OAK and OAK-BUR flights to the point of sell outs at the times you would expect. Drink coupons, A list, and business select help, but Delta sounds close. Come on, Delta, if you really wanna be west coasty you need to discover BUR-NoCal routes.

I'll deal with regionals for a one hour flight if I know it will be reasonably comfortable, priced right, and convenient (have I mentioned BUR?).

My real hope is that moves like this will put some price and scheduling pressure on everyone.

Last edited by abaheti; Aug 1, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.